ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Show Designer 1 fixture limit  (Read 1494 times)

Mark Ellis

Show Designer 1 fixture limit
« on: February 23, 2012, 01:18:24 pm »

This is for a mid-sized cover band. Currently we have 8 LED cans up front (4 on each front corner) and in back there are 6 Martin SCX700 scanners as well as 6 colorstrips on truss, all controlled by a lightstation. I just purchased a Show Designer 1 and am trying to wrap my head around programming fixtures. My initial idea was to have each front PAR can on it's own DMX channels, and pair up the back lights (every 2 scanners sharing DMX and same with colorstrips). I'm hoping to add a couple of moving head fixtures in the near future, each individually controlled. If I do that, however, I've maxed out my 16 available fixture slots on the Show Designer (8 front cans, 3 scanners, 3 colorstrips, and 2 moving heads) and have no room for further expansion. Is this what you guys would recommend?

I could certainly pair up the par cans, or group all the colorstrips or scanners together, but it seems like having control over each would be better.

On another note, the 8 front pair cans consist of 4 Colorado 1s and 4 cheap-o knock-off 24 X 1 watt cans. The no name lights actually have worked fine for a few years now, but I've been thinking of upgrading them to some Blizzard rocklite RGBAWs. Any other recommendations?

Also, are there any really smart lighting guys in the Austin, TX area that are available for consultation? I could really use some hands on advice for setting up scenes, and programming them into various songs, and possibly make some gear recommendations.

I'll appreciate any advice at all! Lights are (clearly) not my forte...

Stuart Pendleton

• Colonial Yorktown, VA
Re: Show Designer 1 fixture limit
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 01:29:04 pm »

You can do another variation.  Each of the fixture assignments allows you to divide the 32 dmx channels a "multi."  This means (example) if you have 4 LEDS that need 8 channels each, you combine them to the one light assignment, yet retain individual control of all lights when programming them. If your scanners use 6 channels you get five in each fixture assignment.  If using the 10 channel setting, you get three scanners on each assignment.

This isn't perfect but it allows you to get many more lights on your SD! then it first appears.

Mark Ellis

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 01:42:17 pm »

(EDIT)  I did a little more digging and Stuart's suggestion is definitely the way to go. I'm just going to have to play with the unit. Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 03:28:22 pm by Mark Ellis »

duane massey

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 09:17:32 pm »

Keep in mind that the SD 1 (like most generic controllers) really doesn't know or care what the fixtures do. It just records and plays back 1's and 0's. You can build your own fixtures to suit your needs, as long as you don't care if the LCD window says "Color" or "Pan" or anything other than CH1, etc. I'm in the process of programming 120 channels of RGB tapelight, and I found it simpler to just build a generic 15-ch fixture and copy it for 8 fixtures.
I did an install using a bunch of LED pars in simple RGB mode, and I built the fixtures as 4-ch fixtures and multi'd 8 per Fixture number. Programming can be tedious, but once you're done playback is a breeze.
Once you're done, seriously consider backing up the data to your PC.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 09:17:32 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 23 queries.