ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: System for greenhouse  (Read 3386 times)

Bradford "BJ" James

System for greenhouse
« on: February 22, 2012, 10:30:30 AM »

I have an install coming up and I could use a second opinion on my original idea as costs are creeping. The client is a greenhouse growing operation that wishes to install a system for playback music and announcements for workers. They want a fairly good sounding system as "studies have indicated the plants like music too."
The operation is divided into several rectangular sections that are about 900' by 300'.
The typical arena style dome speaker wasn't initially considered due to sound quality and the fact that the ceiling height is only around 12'. So I came up with a plan that would see about a dozen evenly spaced areas that would have 4 weather proof 70v speakers mounted on existing poles. A total of 48 speakers per section.
As I said, the cost of copper for these runs plus the cost per enclosure is a concern so I'm looking for any other ideas that may work and be more economical. Any ideas welcome.
Thanks,
BJ
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
Re: System for greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 12:23:29 PM »

I have an install coming up and I could use a second opinion on my original idea as costs are creeping. The client is a greenhouse growing operation that wishes to install a system for playback music and announcements for workers. They want a fairly good sounding system as "studies have indicated the plants like music too."
The operation is divided into several rectangular sections that are about 900' by 300'.
The typical arena style dome speaker wasn't initially considered due to sound quality and the fact that the ceiling height is only around 12'. So I came up with a plan that would see about a dozen evenly spaced areas that would have 4 weather proof 70v speakers mounted on existing poles. A total of 48 speakers per section.
As I said, the cost of copper for these runs plus the cost per enclosure is a concern so I'm looking for any other ideas that may work and be more economical. Any ideas welcome.
Thanks,
BJ

Weather proofing is a no-brainer. But you need to investigate the potential for mold and/or fungus....... especially on cones.

Make sure you use stainless steel hardware for all things attached or suspended.

I might think of more and am sure others will add to my advice.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 02:35:53 PM »

STI-PA (Plant Activity)?

I would think it would come down to deciding what coverage is acceptable, what level is acceptable and what quality is acceptable.  Unfortunately, I don't think there are any related standards or guidelines for greenhouse applications, so it's probably going to all be subjective based on what you feel they want or will accept.

I've worked on systems for a few large outdoor barns and arenas, but music was usually a secondary consideration at best except for some equestrian show spaces.

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 05:01:47 PM »

Unfortunately, I don't think there are any related standards or guidelines for greenhouse applications...

Greenhouses really aren't any more environmentally challenging than protected areas of buildings during humid summer months. I don't think you would have any problems with something like the JBL Control 28 though that might be overkill for this application cost and quality wise.

I agree that a 70 volt system is the way to go and the cost of wiring should be minimal.

-Hal

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 06:37:46 PM »

Greenhouses really aren't any more environmentally challenging than protected areas of buildings during humid summer months. I don't think you would have any problems with something like the JBL Control 28 though that might be overkill for this application cost and quality wise.
I was actually referring to performance standards for coverage, intelligibility, etc., but the chemicals used in a greenhouse, especially if spray applied where they may carry, might make the environment for the speakers and hardware a bit different than a typical indirect exposure application.

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 07:53:50 PM »

I was actually referring to performance standards for coverage, intelligibility, etc., but the chemicals used in a greenhouse, especially if spray applied where they may carry, might make the environment for the speakers and hardware a bit different than a typical indirect exposure application.

I see your point Brad. Generally chemicals are applied directly to the plants and there should not be much overspray if only to protect the workers. That said, fertilizers can be very corrosive. Only other concern would be if they fog the greenhouses with pesticides. They are not corrosive but may be of concern. These are things that need to be asked of the owners.

You may also want to look yourself at the condition of the existing electrical, lighting and other metalic fixtures within the greenhouses to see how they have withstood corrosion to get an idea of the environment. I've seen regular phones hanging on posts with no problems though I wouldn't recommend installing them that way.

-Hal 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 07:53:50 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.