Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Installed Sound/Contracting

System for greenhouse

(1/2) > >>

Bradford "BJ" James:
I have an install coming up and I could use a second opinion on my original idea as costs are creeping. The client is a greenhouse growing operation that wishes to install a system for playback music and announcements for workers. They want a fairly good sounding system as "studies have indicated the plants like music too."
The operation is divided into several rectangular sections that are about 900' by 300'.
The typical arena style dome speaker wasn't initially considered due to sound quality and the fact that the ceiling height is only around 12'. So I came up with a plan that would see about a dozen evenly spaced areas that would have 4 weather proof 70v speakers mounted on existing poles. A total of 48 speakers per section.
As I said, the cost of copper for these runs plus the cost per enclosure is a concern so I'm looking for any other ideas that may work and be more economical. Any ideas welcome.
Thanks,
BJ

Tom Young:

--- Quote from: Bradford "BJ" James on February 22, 2012, 10:30:30 AM ---I have an install coming up and I could use a second opinion on my original idea as costs are creeping. The client is a greenhouse growing operation that wishes to install a system for playback music and announcements for workers. They want a fairly good sounding system as "studies have indicated the plants like music too."
The operation is divided into several rectangular sections that are about 900' by 300'.
The typical arena style dome speaker wasn't initially considered due to sound quality and the fact that the ceiling height is only around 12'. So I came up with a plan that would see about a dozen evenly spaced areas that would have 4 weather proof 70v speakers mounted on existing poles. A total of 48 speakers per section.
As I said, the cost of copper for these runs plus the cost per enclosure is a concern so I'm looking for any other ideas that may work and be more economical. Any ideas welcome.
Thanks,
BJ
--- End quote ---

Weather proofing is a no-brainer. But you need to investigate the potential for mold and/or fungus....... especially on cones.

Make sure you use stainless steel hardware for all things attached or suspended.

I might think of more and am sure others will add to my advice.

Brad Weber:

--- Quote from: Bradford "BJ" James on February 22, 2012, 10:30:30 AM ---I have an install coming up and I could use a second opinion on my original idea as costs are creeping. The client is a greenhouse growing operation that wishes to install a system for playback music and announcements for workers. They want a fairly good sounding system as "studies have indicated the plants like music too."
--- End quote ---
STI-PA (Plant Activity)?

I would think it would come down to deciding what coverage is acceptable, what level is acceptable and what quality is acceptable.  Unfortunately, I don't think there are any related standards or guidelines for greenhouse applications, so it's probably going to all be subjective based on what you feel they want or will accept.

I've worked on systems for a few large outdoor barns and arenas, but music was usually a secondary consideration at best except for some equestrian show spaces.

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC:

--- Quote from: Brad Weber on February 22, 2012, 02:35:53 PM ---Unfortunately, I don't think there are any related standards or guidelines for greenhouse applications...
--- End quote ---

Greenhouses really aren't any more environmentally challenging than protected areas of buildings during humid summer months. I don't think you would have any problems with something like the JBL Control 28 though that might be overkill for this application cost and quality wise.

I agree that a 70 volt system is the way to go and the cost of wiring should be minimal.

-Hal

Brad Weber:

--- Quote from: Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC on February 22, 2012, 05:01:47 PM ---
Greenhouses really aren't any more environmentally challenging than protected areas of buildings during humid summer months. I don't think you would have any problems with something like the JBL Control 28 though that might be overkill for this application cost and quality wise.
--- End quote ---
I was actually referring to performance standards for coverage, intelligibility, etc., but the chemicals used in a greenhouse, especially if spray applied where they may carry, might make the environment for the speakers and hardware a bit different than a typical indirect exposure application.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version