ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sub in line attenuator  (Read 3193 times)

Joe Seliski

Sub in line attenuator
« on: February 21, 2012, 10:40:12 AM »

I have a Bose 302 subwoofer in our film studio - I occasionally need to turn it down a few db - depending on the material being played back - as the amp is in a different room - it is not practical to turn it down via the amp.  Is there a wall mount device that may work for this?   thanks

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
Re: Sub in line attenuator
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 11:35:45 AM »

I have a Bose 302 subwoofer in our film studio - I occasionally need to turn it down a few db - depending on the material being played back - as the amp is in a different room - it is not practical to turn it down via the amp.  Is there a wall mount device that may work for this?   thanks

Joe,
There are many speaker-level volume controls on the market, some are wall mounted. a google search for those terms will yield many results, which may or may not not work well with the low frequencies or power involved.  A better solution would be to adjust the drive level to the amplifier from its source, i.e.  the crossover or system processor.

you mentioned this is in a film room. An even better solution would be to perform a SMPTE level alignment of the system and leave it alone after that. That way x program in your room is just as loud as x program played in any other film room. If you are unfamiliar or lack the tools required, an experienced professional is never more than a phone call away. film-tech.com hosts a forum with a directory where you can find a cinema service co capable of doing this in your region.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 11:55:19 AM »

As Hayden alluded to, I thought that cinema applications were pretty strict about setting the system for defined standard levels and frequency response.  However, if you want to adjust the sub level then I agree that we need to know whether you were envisioning adjusting the signal going to the amplifier or the signal from the amp to the speaker.

If you were to adjust the line level signal before the amp then there are a range of options, including some that while more expensive and complex might be nice in terms of being able to limit the range of adjustment and perhaps easily go back to a precise default level.  If you want to adjust the amplifier output then it would help to know the amplifier being used in order to have some idea of the signal that has to be controlled, with the sub rated at 4 Ohms and 400W "RMS", the typical wall mount volume control may not be sufficient.

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 01:49:34 PM »

I'd always thought of the 302SUB as more of a live sound enclosure, so maybe this isn't a cinema critical application.  If it's not, I would try something along these lines:

http://www.rdlnet.com/pdf/remote_level_control.pdf

If it is a cinema critical scenario, then I defer you to the two posts above mine, who are absolutely right with their calibration recommendations.

Added:  Scroll further down the page for some preset button options that will allow you to preset various levels, one of which could/should be set for "Accurate".
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 02:15:22 PM by Lee Douglas »
This space for rent

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 01:49:34 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.