ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DMX to MPX conversion help  (Read 6353 times)

Jonathan Newton

DMX to MPX conversion help
« on: February 22, 2012, 06:13:31 PM »

Hoping someone can help or has some knowledge on the subject.

The club I'm working in uses the older protocol microplex(MPX) along with DMX. Our stage controller is an NSI board that outputs only MPX going to an NSI demultiplexer that controls (2) 6 channel Leprecon dimmers for our stage pars. I'm also running Emulation separately it to control the LED's on stage.

The goal is to control the leprecon dimmers using emulation. I have an NSI IF501 interface unit that converts MPX to DMX and vice versa, but I am not getting any results.

I've tried connecting the usb/dmx cable into the NSI interface, and then out MPX to the demultiplexer and dimmers, with no luck. The dimmers are addressed starting at 113(on the demultiplexer) as well as on the interface and in Emulation patched to a generic 6 channel dimmer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon
Jonathan Newton

John Strzalkowski

Re: DMX to MPX conversion help
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 05:00:00 PM »

I am not sure if this is accurate but what you are describing here is that you want to control everything via DMX (Emulation).

Our stage controller is an NSI board that outputs only MPX going to an NSI demultiplexer that controls (2) 6 channel Leprecon dimmers for our stage pars. I'm also running Emulation separately it to control the LED's on stage.

Are the leprechaun dimmers DMX or MPX? From your initial statement you are going out MPX, converting it to DMX, then out to your dimmers. In this case you do not need the MPX-DMX converter in your signal chain as everything should be DMX (Emulation outputs DMX not MPX). Just address everything properly and you should be able to use emulation.

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 11:29:33 AM »

Hoping someone can help or has some knowledge on the subject.

The club I'm working in uses the older protocol microplex(MPX) along with DMX. Our stage controller is an NSI board that outputs only MPX going to an NSI demultiplexer that controls (2) 6 channel Leprecon dimmers for our stage pars. I'm also running Emulation separately it to control the LED's on stage.
The goal is to control the leprecon dimmers using emulation. I have an NSI IF501 interface unit that converts MPX to DMX and vice versa, but I am not getting any results.

I've tried connecting the usb/dmx cable into the NSI interface, and then out MPX to the demultiplexer and dimmers, with no luck. The dimmers are addressed starting at 113(on the demultiplexer) as well as on the interface and in Emulation patched to a generic 6 channel dimmer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon

If I understand this correctly, you've currently got an NSI console which outputs MPX which goes directly to a MPX to analog 0-10 demultiplexer to drive the 0-10 inputs on the Leprecon dimmers? You now want to send a DMX signal to an NSI IF501 which will be set up to take the DMX signal from Emulator, convert it to MPX to drive the demultiplexer which drives the dimmers. The IF501 is actually a pretty complex device... you definitely need to download the extensive manual from Leviton. Besides the 4 DIP switches on the outside, there are 11 various jumpers inside that must be set to convert the unit between its various conversion options. You can't just plug into the DMX and MPX jacks thinking it will work. It has to be specifically set up for DMX to MPX operation. Hope this helps!
Scott Hofmann

duane massey

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 02:40:14 PM »

+1 on the manual, and be prepared to call NSI for help. At one time the manual had a couple of WTF's that a discussion with NSI cleared up.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 02:40:14 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.