ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4888 for front fill?  (Read 3103 times)

Terry Fryar

• Wyard Audio
4888 for front fill?
« on: February 19, 2012, 04:26:29 PM »

Normally, we'd use different cabinets for front fill, but there are some situations I've been in where I've got enough 4888's laying in the truck to stick a few down front for fill.  I haven't tried 88's, but I've tried this with some other linearray cabs with less than stellar results.  This wouldn't be for a tour, or any long term stuff...just a few "in a pinch" situations throughout the year.  I do have a dedicated DSP and rack for front fill so if I needed to hack up the v4 eq/xover to adjust for just 1 box, I could do that. Wouldn't need a lot of SPL, and low freq control's not so much of an issue....just throwing some vox and instruments out there to fill in the middle.  We don't do super wide stages, either, so 2 or 3 cabs across the front would be plenty.

Anyone tried some single stacked 88's for front fill?

Rasmus Rosenberg

Re: 4888 for front fill?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 05:08:08 PM »

Normally, we'd use different cabinets for front fill, but there are some situations I've been in where I've got enough 4888's laying in the truck to stick a few down front for fill.  I haven't tried 88's, but I've tried this with some other linearray cabs with less than stellar results.  This wouldn't be for a tour, or any long term stuff...just a few "in a pinch" situations throughout the year.  I do have a dedicated DSP and rack for front fill so if I needed to hack up the v4 eq/xover to adjust for just 1 box, I could do that. Wouldn't need a lot of SPL, and low freq control's not so much of an issue....just throwing some vox and instruments out there to fill in the middle.  We don't do super wide stages, either, so 2 or 3 cabs across the front would be plenty.

Yes, but long time ago. I see no problem, as long as you can process the individually, and can get them placed oki. Its basically a 90x5(or 10 can' remember, sorry) box, so the key is properly stage height. Maybe stack them 3 high on a house box in front of the stage or what ever it takes and is acceptable sight line wise. They are pretty easy to stack, manage and tilt and not too high etc.
mvh
Rasmus

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 01:04:34 PM »

You can probably fix what you don't like about running single boxes with some shelf EQ or changing the pass-band output levels in the preset with S.A.

The lesser amount of LF from a single box isn't a bad thing; I typically HPF front fills in the 200-250Hz range.  Usually what needs taming is the HF, but with the 4888 you will likely need some HPF on the lows.

My only objection to using 4888 for FF is the size... and if it's proportional, why not try it?  There are certainly less appropriate things to use for front fills...

To address Rasmus thoughts about pattern, the 4888 is nominally 90° x 10°.

Let us know how this works out for you.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Terry Fryar

• Wyard Audio
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 01:32:30 PM »

I think I'll give this a try in the shop...I know I've got a show in the spring I can use it for.  We'll see how it goes, and I'll report back!  Thanks Rasmus and Tim!!

PS:  Tim...you wouldn't happen to know Jay from StagePro would you??

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 02:18:16 PM »

I think I'll give this a try in the shop...I know I've got a show in the spring I can use it for.  We'll see how it goes, and I'll report back!  Thanks Rasmus and Tim!!

PS:  Tim...you wouldn't happen to know Jay from StagePro would you??

Jay's one of the good guys.  He's a smart businessman and understands innovation.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 02:18:16 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.