ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaker Processing DSP with AES Digital Input  (Read 7596 times)

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Speaker Processing DSP with AES Digital Input
« on: February 17, 2012, 01:02:36 AM »

Hello all,

I've been looking at speaker processors to possibly pair with my SoundCraft Si Compact for use with a variety of different systems I usually don't own. These systems often contain digital amps or powered digital speakers. I usually don't mind two conversions, I've never noticed any sound issue with just two conversions unless the gear didn't sound any good anyway. However, if I got a DSP without a digital input I'd be up at 3 conversions when connecting to those systems, and 4 if there is digital processing somewhere else in the artist's rig... seems like a lot of ADA!

Do you guys think this is a valid concern? Is 3 conversions going to be overshadowed by other aspects of the rig just like 2, or is that 1 too many?

If the latter, can you recommend any DSPs that don't cost several thousand dollars with AES inputs? I'm familiar with the BSS MiniDrive and the DBX DriveRack 260 and they have the kind of feature sets I'd be looking for, but no AES input. Similar products from those companies that do have AES inputs are several times my budget and have way more functionality than I'd require.

Thanks for your thoughts!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 02:30:05 AM by Samuel Rees »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Speaker Processing DSP with AES Digital Input
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 02:46:12 AM »

Hello all,

I've been looking at speaker processors to possibly pair with my SoundCraft Si Compact for use with a variety of different systems I usually don't own. These systems often contain digital amps or powered digital speakers. I usually don't mind two conversions, I've never noticed any sound issue with just two conversions unless the gear didn't sound any good anyway. However, if I got a DSP without a digital input I'd be up at 3 conversions when connecting to those systems, and 4 if there is digital processing somewhere else in the artist's rig... seems like a lot of ADA!

Do you guys think this is a valid concern? Is 3 conversions going to be overshadowed by other aspects of the rig just like 2, or is that 1 too many?

If the latter, can you recommend any DSPs that don't cost several thousand dollars with AES inputs? I'm familiar with the BSS MiniDrive and the DBX DriveRack 260 and they have the kind of feature sets I'd be looking for, but no AES input. Similar products from those companies that do have AES inputs are several times my budget and have way more functionality than I'd require.

Thanks for your thoughts!

What's your budget?  AES/EBU or CobraNet?  How may in/out?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 03:14:06 AM »

What's your budget?  AES/EBU or CobraNet?  How may in/out?

Definitely <$2000 and AES (1 AES out on my console). Ideally, the I/O would match the OmniDrive FDS-366T (AES + 1 in, 6 out), but thats not necessary. If the two inputs on the MiniDrive FDS-336T (2 in, 6 out) were AES I'd be sold on that right now. Crossover and EQ are the primary processing functions I'm looking for. I could bring up my "church A" eq and crossover, then my "club B" ones as I move from system to system.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 03:27:13 AM by Samuel Rees »

Brian Larson

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 08:33:11 AM »

Both the Electrovoice DC-one and DX46 have AES inputs and do everything you mentioned. I use a pair of DC-ones and like the interface a lot better than a Driverack.

If you need Ethernet connectivity get the DX46; it also has FIR filters (which I doubt you'll need since you said this was a secondary processor)

Both units come in under your budget.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 02:07:30 PM »

Both the Electrovoice DC-one and DX46 have AES inputs and do everything you mentioned. I use a pair of DC-ones and like the interface a lot better than a Driverack.

Thanks! I never looked into EV processors, the DC-one is looking pretty good though.

So I could get an EV DC-One, or find a used and very well priced OmniDrive 336T. Am I overlooking anything?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 08:19:08 PM »

Thanks! I never looked into EV processors, the DC-one is looking pretty good though.

So I could get an EV DC-One, or find a used and very well priced OmniDrive 336T. Am I overlooking anything?

Rane RPM44, around $1000 used.  Ashly NE series? Around $2000 for 4 x 8.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Tyler

• Richmond, Va USA
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 11:12:44 PM »

Peavey VSX26, VSX48.

-Tim T

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 11:27:34 PM »

Thanks guys, I check these out. I guess I have a little brand skepticism of Peavey, perhaps illogically. Which of these choices would you prefer? Converter quality and PEQ being the most important qualities to me.

Also, like I asked above - do you think I am concerned about the conversions too much? I do really like the EQ on the BSS, if 3 conversions does not concern you then maybe I should just go for the MiniDrive.

George Dougherty

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »

Thanks guys, I check these out. I guess I have a little brand skepticism of Peavey, perhaps illogically. Which of these choices would you prefer? Converter quality and PEQ being the most important qualities to me.

Also, like I asked above - do you think I am concerned about the conversions too much? I do really like the EQ on the BSS, if 3 conversions does not concern you then maybe I should just go for the MiniDrive.
Don't know if they've changed anything but the first runs of the Peavey VSX were noted for being noisy.  Feature set otherwise was decent.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 04:39:50 PM »

Having read up about the EV & Peavey units and talked to a friend, I don't think I'm very interested in them. Seems like waiting for an OmniDrive 366T used is going to be the ticket for me! Thanks guys.

Still though, any thoughts on 3+ ADA conversions?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 04:39:50 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 25 queries.