ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mackie Thump versus anything else  (Read 18668 times)

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
Re: Mackie Thump versus anything else
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 09:42:20 PM »

I just recently purchased a behringer powered monitor. I am pretty impressed with it but I have a lot of concerns about the quality of Behringer now after reading alot on this site. I am considering a couple Mackie Thump 15" powered speakers for the mains. They are reasonably priced. Has anyone used these? If so do you like them? Do you recommend something different?
I have a friend that does a solo blues act and he uses the thumps..I have heard them and they really are not to bad for entry level.   But, I also know a DJ guy who uses the Behringer 15" 2 way
powered cabs and ya know what?  Those sound pretty comparable to the thumps and cost alot less ching.
However, the guy with the Behringer 15" 2ways had me service them for him cause they both failed to power up.  They didnt fail at the same time but within a few months of each other.  I pulled the power amps out of the back of them and in the power supply there was THE SAME solder connection on the PCB with no solder on the connect/pad at all!  I simply soldered the connection on both of them
and they are working just fine now.   I guess he lucked out cause there was no serious arcing going on
with that connection and it didnt cause any components to fail in the power supply for the amp.

Jim Kingsnorth

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 01:14:53 PM »

I have a friend that does a solo blues act and he uses the thumps..I have heard them and they really are not to bad for entry level.   But, I also know a DJ guy who uses the Behringer 15" 2 way
powered cabs and ya know what?  Those sound pretty comparable to the thumps and cost alot less ching.
However, the guy with the Behringer 15" 2ways had me service them for him cause they both failed to power up.  They didnt fail at the same time but within a few months of each other.  I pulled the power amps out of the back of them and in the power supply there was THE SAME solder connection on the PCB with no solder on the connect/pad at all!  I simply soldered the connection on both of them
and they are working just fine now.   I guess he lucked out cause there was no serious arcing going on
with that connection and it didnt cause any components to fail in the power supply for the amp.

Thanks for that info. I am going to check that out on mine.

Jim Kingsnorth

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 01:17:05 PM »

Thanks for that info. I am going to check that out on mine.

Has anyone heard of Gemini? I keep seeing systems with Gemini speakers with them. The brand sounds familier, not sure if I had gear before that was Gemini. For some reason I think it may have been junk.

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 02:02:29 PM »

Has anyone heard of Gemini? I keep seeing systems with Gemini speakers with them. The brand sounds familier, not sure if I had gear before that was Gemini. For some reason I think it may have been junk.

Pure DJ crap. Always has been. And especially their speakers.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Jim Kingsnorth

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 05:07:12 AM »

Pure DJ crap. Always has been. And especially their speakers.
Thats what I thought. Kind of like Harbinger.

Don Sullivan

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »

Of the low end powered speakers I prefer Mackie to Behringer. I've blown up Behringers by pushing them outdoors. After replacing the weak drivers with Eminence, they aren't too bad. Mackie's don't blow up so quickly. If you are any good with wood and seriously budget tight look up the designs from Bill Fitzmaurice.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 11:17:11 PM »

I am considering a couple Mackie Thump 15" powered speakers for the mains.

The Thumps sound a little better than the equavelent $300 Behringer box but neither of these are powerful enough for anything but small live sound or wedding DJ work, and that's with a sub. I had 4 of these out at a highschool dance a little while ago and had to run them right into the limiters just to get somewhat adequate output with a pair of SRM1801 subs. Interestingly the Thumps don't sound bad at all even with the limit light on solidly for louder passages... something I cannot say about the lowend Behringer speakers, they get real nasty sounding even just approaching the limiters.

Tom Burgess

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 03:42:42 PM »

I'm a little hesitant to make this my first post but...  I'm going to anyway.  ;D

I've been in the music biz one way or another for about 30 years now... performance, production, sound, retail sales, management, etc., etc., etc.  I'm far from knowing it all but have been around the block a few times.

Currently I'm mostly involved in retail and my focus in speakers at our location is JBL.  I've habitually stayed away from "budget" powered speakers because every single time I've dipped my toes in those waters I've ended up getting bit.  That being said I've constantly been on the hunt for moderately-priced powered cabs that would fit under my JBL offerings.  Being a Mackie dealer, I tried the Thump 15's and was very unimpressed with the sound... the price was spot on and they did manage to sell but I opted not to restock them.  Then came the Samson D412A.  I didn't think there was any way these would be a viable option but the rep sent me one on spec so we could do a little testing.  Not one to be timid when testing I went through my normal clips of Steely Dan, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Dave Weckl, Level 42, ZZ Top, Jack Ingram, and so on at several volume levels and side by side with an EON510.  Now, to be fair, the 510's are twice the price and half the weight and at FTB (Full Tilt Boogie) they were clearly superior, but that's the standard I wanted for comparison.  Surprisingly, until I got the 412's into the very highest of volumes they actually performed quite nicely.  I ordered multiples and have only had one failure to date which Samson replaced quickly.

Admittedly, I'm a JBL snob... perhaps even to my detriment, but I thought these little Samson boxes were pretty impressive for $280.00 USD.

To the O.P... I think someone earlier gave you excellent advice in using your Behringers until they've gasped their last breath.  While I'm no fan, their gear definitely serves a purpose and as long as they're getting the job done for you, then there's no reason not to use them.

As always, your mileage may vary and this is just my humble opinion.
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 03:42:42 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.