ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: BBE DS Series Processors (DS24, DS26, DS48)  (Read 19249 times)

Kurt Stephens

• SR Forums
BBE DS Series Processors (DS24, DS26, DS48)
« on: March 15, 2011, 03:26:32 PM »

I'm looking to get a speaker management system for my rig - which is currently two QSC K12's.
In the next two months I will have added a single sub (size constraints limit me to one) to my rig - looking at the KW181 or VRX918SP.

I've heard almost all positive things about these BBE DS processors - but I figured I would check with you guys before I pull the trigger. eBay has them new for good prices ($190 for a DS24) but I am always wearing of buying on eBay.

Any other options? I like the simplicity and straight-forwardness of the BBE vs. the dbx Driverack. I don't believe Sabine, Symetrix, Ashly, BSS, or Klark Teknik make any processors in my price range (Under $300).

Daniel Cash

• SR Forums
  • Portland, OR
Re: BBE DS Series Processors (DS24, DS26, DS48)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 07:15:39 PM »

Just curious what you are trying to accomplish with this processor?   The QSC speakers and sub already have a built in crossover and limiting.  I doubt you need delay.  So the only thing i can think of you wanting from the processor is EQ, which could be accomplished with a plain old graphic eq.

Kurt Stephens

• SR Forums
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 09:19:54 PM »

Just curious what you are trying to accomplish with this processor?   The QSC speakers and sub already have a built in crossover and limiting.  I doubt you need delay.  So the only thing i can think of you wanting from the processor is EQ, which could be accomplished with a plain old graphic eq.

Well for the KW181 I wouldn't need it - and would actually prefer not to use one for trans-portabilities sake.

I would have used the DS24 if I end up buying the VRX918SP since it only has a mono input and output.

Correct I do not need a delay.

I guess I need to figure out if I want the VRX918SP or KW181 - any suggestions? I would take the VRX over the PRX-XLF any day.

Sheldon Harris

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 10:25:28 PM »

Well for the KW181 I wouldn't need it - and would actually prefer not to use one for trans-portabilities sake.

I would have used the DS24 if I end up buying the VRX918SP since it only has a mono input and output.

I guess I need to figure out if I want the VRX918SP or KW181 - any suggestions? I would take the VRX over the PRX-XLF any day.

ds processors only have up to 7ms of delay. the only thing i can really say is a negative for a processor of that price.

John Livings

• Los Angeles, California
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 11:26:15 PM »

"ds processors only have up to 7ms of delay. the only thing i can really say is a negative for a processor of that price."

+1, I use the DS-48 to Tri amp some speakers, Works Fine.

Regards,  John

duane massey

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 12:39:11 AM »

BBE DS- cost-effective, but a little funky to set up.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Kurt Stephens

• SR Forums
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 01:17:59 AM »

BBE DS- cost-effective, but a little funky to set up.

seems to me like most people don't have a ton of serious complaints about the DS series - especially given the very modest price.

I think it might be something I pick up regardless of what sub I use - just to have around.

Aside from the obvious advantage of more connectivity and scalability within setup - is there any reason to go with a DS48 or DS26 over the DS24?

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 01:33:49 AM »

seems to me like most people don't have a ton of serious complaints about the DS series - especially given the very modest price.

I think it might be something I pick up regardless of what sub I use - just to have around.

Aside from the obvious advantage of more connectivity and scalability within setup - is there any reason to go with a DS48 or DS26 over the DS24?

Hi

I believe I may have been the first person on the old PSW forum to write a review in regards to the DS 48.

You can read about it Here if you like.

By April of 2011, my DS 48 will be in its third year of usage with no issues whatsoever.

The reason I chose the DS 48 over the 26 & 24 is more channels. That is the only reason to choose the DS 48.

Best Regards,

Kurt Stephens

• SR Forums
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 01:49:28 AM »

Hi

I believe I may have been the first person on the old PSW forum to write a review in regards to the DS 48.

You can read about it Here if you like.

By April of 2011, my DS 48 will be in its third year of usage with no issues whatsoever.

The reason I chose the DS 48 over the 26 & 24 is more channels. That is the only reason to choose the DS 48.

Best Regards,

thank you very much for that link - despite my research I didn't come across that yet. I will take a look at it.
Also glad to hear about your problem free DS.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 04:55:14 AM »

I have a ds24. No problems. Very easy setup with the software and cable provided. Picked mine up on ebay as well.
Great for the price unit.
Douglas R. Allen

David Sheldon

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 11:24:42 AM »

I have been using my DS48 for 1 year now and no complaints. It gets used indoor and out.

One outdoor show comes to mind where the conditions were very hot and humid (San Antonio, TX area). The line voltage was also very low, as there were numerous RV's pulling power for A/C. I had my own circuits but there is only so much power that is supplied to the site from the power company....bla bla...anyway I was thinking I might have problems with the unit rebooting or acting up. It worked perfectly. I have never had a problem with it.

That being said I must be honest and tell you that the first DS48 I received (ebay reseller) had problems right out of the box. It would start up and then reboot if bumped or moved or just at random. Obviously that unit was not put into service. The reseller exchanged the unit and it has really been a great product for my rig.

If I ever upgrade to a different FOH processor I fully intend to use this unit for 4 biamp monitor mixes.

If you decide on the DS product line, my recommendation is to buy the DS48 you will have many more options for the future.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 11:26:33 AM by David Sheldon »

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 02:52:20 PM »

I'm looking to get a speaker management system for my rig - which is currently two QSC K12's.
In the next two months I will have added a single sub (size constraints limit me to one) to my rig - looking at the KW181 or VRX918SP.

I've heard almost all positive things about these BBE DS processors - but I figured I would check with you guys before I pull the trigger. eBay has them new for good prices ($190 for a DS24) but I am always wearing of buying on eBay.

Any other options? I like the simplicity and straight-forwardness of the BBE vs. the dbx Driverack. I don't believe Sabine, Symetrix, Ashly, BSS, or Klark Teknik make any processors in my price range (Under $300).
What mixer are you using?

I use a pair of K12s and a pair of KW181 subs and have not seen a need for an external DSP.

I use an LS9 mixer and aux feed the subs so I don't worry about mono inputs or such. I also cluster the subs when ever possible (which is most of the time - 2 on one side with a K12 on top and a speaker stand on the other.

With the VRX subs you are paying a premium to get certified flyable subs. Do you need that?

I would not spend the money on a DSP for that rig. Use the money for something that will make a better difference.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Kurt Stephens

• SR Forums
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 03:13:16 PM »

What mixer are you using?

I use a pair of K12s and a pair of KW181 subs and have not seen a need for an external DSP.

I use an LS9 mixer and aux feed the subs so I don't worry about mono inputs or such. I also cluster the subs when ever possible (which is most of the time - 2 on one side with a K12 on top and a speaker stand on the other.

With the VRX subs you are paying a premium to get certified flyable subs. Do you need that?

I would not spend the money on a DSP for that rig. Use the money for something that will make a better difference.

I either use an Allen & Heath Xone 22 DJ mixer or Soundcraft EPM8.

I wish I had an LS9 - worked on it before a couple of times and loved that thing.

With the VRX - I definitely do not need the flyware - but I always like to buy the best product I can get - not sure if that is the VRX or not in this case. 

I terms of the BBE DSP - for the price eBay charges for it, it's hard to pass up just for the sake of curiosity. I guess I could always buy some Jensen Isomax CI-2RR's instead or some more lighting.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 03:32:20 PM »

but I always like to buy the best product I can get

That would not be a BBE DSP. It's what, the second cheapest thing out there? Cheapest?
The compressors are awful. The computer program is mediocre.
Running it from the front panel is possible, but tedious.

I put a DS48 in an install. It works, but I'm not a fan.
I ended up adding analog system limiting after it.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Kurt Stephens

• SR Forums
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 04:05:41 PM »

That would not be a BBE DSP. It's what, the second cheapest thing out there? Cheapest?
The compressors are awful. The computer program is mediocre.
Running it from the front panel is possible, but tedious.

I put a DS48 in an install. It works, but I'm not a fan.
I ended up adding analog system limiting after it.

Yeah I realize I may have contradicted myself there. Looking from a larger perspective the BBE is really the lowest-end.

My income via gigs does not support me getting high end gear though - this isn't what I do for a living. I do it to enjoy it and happened to get paid once and a while.

Given the very meager budget I have for this processor - the BBE seems pretty solid for the $190 price tag.

Maybe I should have rephrased my initial statement to "I like to avoid wasting money on junk"

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 05:59:26 PM »

I am not going to comment on the limiters for I don’t use them on my BBE DS 48. In all honesty I don’t use the Limiters on my Ashly Protea either.

However, I am most curious how much control one would expect with a readout screen, that is only 3 inches wide by 1 inch high?

Surely, if you want more control, use the software on your laptop and you can have better control on the features the BBE offers.

Since the controls offer detent steps, you have a better chance achieving the frequency the first time and, not scrolling back and forth trying to pinpoint a particular frequency. And of course if you are using the software, merely dial in the figures on your computer’s keypad.

What I like about the DS 48 is the ability of remembering settings without saving them. This basically means you can create a setting spontaneously and don’t have to worry about losing those settings even if you turn the device off or a sudden loss of power. That is a feature that is not guaranteed in every Loudspeaker Management available on the market.

The DS 48 offers no “bells & whistles”. It is merely a basic loudspeaker management software that gets the job done. The DS Series is perfect for a small DJ/Band. If someone cannot make their money back using the BBE DS at their gig the first time it is used, something is remotely wrong.

Best Regards,

Rob Truesdell

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 01:46:28 PM »

Kurt, did you ever get your sub? If so what and why? Thanks

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 01:53:25 PM »

ds processors only have up to 7ms of delay. the only thing i can really say is a negative for a processor of that price.

That is the piece of info I could not find. Actually with powered speakers I find that delay IS one of the functions I want in a processor.
Jay Barracato

Kurt Stephens

• SR Forums
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 03:24:33 PM »

Kurt, did you ever get your sub? If so what and why? Thanks

Yes I did purchase my sub a couple weeks ago - I went with the VRX918SP and couldn't be happier especially considering my high expectations.
Since price was not a high consideration for me - I ended up buying the VRX918S-STR sub transporter to go with it that has casters on it - eliminating the advantage the KW would have had there. I think the resale value of the VRX is better.

I am still planning on purchasing the DS24 soon as well - thanks for the good info on this thread.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2011, 09:30:05 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.