ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless podium mic  (Read 17918 times)

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
Wireless podium mic
« on: February 15, 2012, 01:01:15 PM »

I'm looking for some creative ideas for a wireless podium mic. This will go in a small (150 seat) auditorium at a local Bible College. They want it to be very neat, clean and simple to use with no visable wires or equipment. I thought about going from the mic into a belt pack located in the podium. Is that about the only way? Or is there something better?

Thanks

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Wireless podium mic
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 01:10:24 PM »

I'm looking for some creative ideas for a wireless podium mic. This will go in a small (150 seat) auditorium at a local Bible College. They want it to be very neat, clean and simple to use with no visable wires or equipment. I thought about going from the mic into a belt pack located in the podium. Is that about the only way? Or is there something better?

Thanks

A couple of years ago I researched wireless conferencing systems and found a lot of high-end, encrypted stuff that worked really well, but tended to come in large systems.  A quick Google search yielded this:

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/295752.html?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=googleps&gclid=COu8mrjJoK4CFcrQKgod5VfO6Q

Pretty much what you were thinking of doing but put into a package.....albeit pricey.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 02:25:48 PM »

Jamin,

No cords whatsoever, eh?  That's a tough one - what about a reading light?  Will that be battery-powered, too?

The way I have seen it done involves a few different items: a wireless mic kit w/ ENG block (plug-on transmitter), a phantom power interface (probably needs AC power), and a wall wart power supply suited to the requirements of the transmitter (both Voltage and Amperage as well as battery adapter type).  This is all contingent on having AC power, though.

Of course, there are plug-on transmitter that supply phantom power, but they're more pricey.

Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 03:05:01 PM »

This topic seems to come up every so often and the general consensus seems to be that it can be done but there are a myriad of reasons to avoid it if at all possible.

One major issue is battery life.  If you use a condenser mic and try to power it off the transmitter than what battery life do you get?  If you use a separate phantom power supply then as Jordan noted, that seems to defeat the idea of being wireless.  And even if you just power the transmitter you probably get 8 hours or less out of a battery.

Related to that, how do you check the battery life and get to the transmitter to replace batteries?  A wireless system that provides remote battery status can address the first aspect but usually affects the budget.  Having the transmitter hidden during normal use but readily accessible to replace the battery, which would probably be happening quite often, can take some creative thought and coordination with the lectern design.

If you proceed with it then I agree that something like http://www.lectrosonics.com/VHF/h187.html or http://www.lectrosonics.com/Transmitters/hm.html might be a better form factor for the transmitter.

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 06:33:45 PM »

One major issue is battery life.  If you use a condenser mic and try to power it off the transmitter than what battery life do you get?  If you use a separate phantom power supply then as Jordan noted, that seems to defeat the idea of being wireless.  And even if you just power the transmitter you probably get 8 hours or less out of a battery.
Several of the Lectro transmitter offerings have a battery eliminator available. Just connect an SLA or Gel-cell of appropriate capacity and size. Personally, an IFBT4 set to 400 series (with some attenuation on the RF output) would be quite the setup. The battery could also power an inline phantom supply.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Mark Mattocks

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 12:30:22 AM »

Thanks

Shure makes a wireless lectern mic base for the SLX series. It syncs like the other SLX products and sounds as good as the other SLX products. We put one of these and one of their wireless boundary mics in a similar college chapel last year and no problems yet. In our situation there was no nice way to keep cables out of the way and this was the most elegant solution. It is used by decidedly non-technical people. Check it out - http://www.shure.com/americas/products/microphones/microflex/mx890-microflex-wireless-desktop-base

Good Luck!
Mark

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 07:43:18 AM »

Several of the Lectro transmitter offerings have a battery eliminator available. Just connect an SLA or Gel-cell of appropriate capacity and size. Personally, an IFBT4 set to 400 series (with some attenuation on the RF output) would be quite the setup. The battery could also power an inline phantom supply.
That would be a good solution.  I still think that how they envision using this is a consideration.  If the lectern is on stage most or all of the time then it seems to be added expense and complexity to be wireless.  If they are thinking the maintenance staff or users just pull the lectern out of a storage closet when it is needed then anything battery powered may be more challenging, especially if it may be stored or left out with the mic left on.  If they have a tech for the room and they will be setting the podium with some advance notice then it seems much more feasible.

I've used the mics Mark noted and they worked fine, however those were applications where the need for the mics was known well in advance and the room was set up and taken down by a tech, who was also available if there were any problems.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 02:07:15 PM »

Shure makes a wireless lectern mic base for the SLX series. It syncs like the other SLX products and sounds as good as the other SLX products. We put one of these and one of their wireless boundary mics in a similar college chapel last year and no problems yet. In our situation there was no nice way to keep cables out of the way and this was the most elegant solution. It is used by decidedly non-technical people. Check it out - http://www.shure.com/americas/products/microphones/microflex/mx890-microflex-wireless-desktop-base

Good Luck!
Mark

Actually, this looks like a pretty good solution. Has various lengths and pick up patterns. Looks simple enough to use as well. The SLX stuff should be OK.

They have no tech person at all. I explained the pit falls of anything wireless....batteries, batteries, batteries. He said they would rather deal with batteries than have visable wires. There's a mic input  box 10ft from the podium. Oh well, I tried. I can see some call out fees in the near future. ;)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 02:09:13 PM »

Actually, this looks like a pretty good solution. Has various lengths and pick up patterns. Looks simple enough to use as well. The SLX stuff should be OK.

They have no tech person at all. I explained the pit falls of anything wireless....batteries, batteries, batteries. He said they would rather deal with batteries than have visable wires. There's a mic input  box 10ft from the podium. Oh well, I tried. I can see some call out fees in the near future. ;)

Like this?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Wireless podium mic, always a bad idea
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 03:28:17 PM »

If the podium does not move, running a hidden cable under the floor will be cheaper in the short term, way cheaper in the long term, and way more reliable, and way more environmentally friendly. Wireless podiums are only a viable alternative if the podium has to move on and off stage in front of the audience.

Mac

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 03:38:18 PM »

If the podium does not move, running a hidden cable under the floor will be cheaper in the short term, way cheaper in the long term, and way more reliable, and way more environmentally friendly. Wireless podiums are only a viable alternative if the podium has to move on and off stage in front of the audience.

Mac

The podium is movable. They use this space for various small events.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 03:54:22 PM »

The podium is movable. They use this space for various small events.

Does it move in front of the audience, or during set up? If in front of the audience, an argument can be made for wireless, if not there is no reason for wireless. The upkeep on the wireless system is much more technically involved than unplugging a couple of XLRs if they are worried about technical skills.

Just because a client who doesn't understand all the implications of their desires wants something doesn't mean they shouldn't be talked out of it by someone looking out for their best interests.

Mac
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 05:27:07 PM by Mac Kerr »

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 04:49:24 PM »

You've warned them, but I bet their view changes the first time they have a big important presenter and the mic doesn't work.

When UPS moved their headquarters here there was some press regarding conference rooms where they used all wireless mics, it may even have been the Shure units.  There was not as much press when they apparently replaced those with wired microphones within a year.

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 07:47:08 PM »

Take a look at the Spectra Pulse from Audio Technica.  The placement of antennas is important, probably one on either side of the area.  There is no rf frequency to worry about, up to 14 mics can be on one system and there are no controls except the mic on off button which can be set for push on/off, momentary or defeated.  Battery is good for 5 hours and can use rechargeable batteries the gooseneck version can use the A/T mic or a lot of others and provides phantom power.  It is available in lavalier and soon handheld versions as well. 

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wls_systems/e7dd603ca6147a97/index.html
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 07:47:08 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.