ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Goodwill and line-arrays  (Read 11431 times)

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
Goodwill and line-arrays
« on: February 12, 2012, 10:01:20 AM »

This is just an observation...

Has anyone seen the "recent" television ads for Goodwill (Goodwill Industries)?  The animated ad shows representatives of Goodwill on stage making an announcement.  On each side of the stage is a 3-box ground-stacked line-array. 

It's good to see someone spent the time to draw in a "current' speaker system for live sound instead of just the usual 1 x full-range speaker.   

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Goodwill and line-arrays
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 01:49:19 PM »

This is just an observation...

Has anyone seen the "recent" television ads for Goodwill (Goodwill Industries)?  The animated ad shows representatives of Goodwill on stage making an announcement.  On each side of the stage is a 3-box ground-stacked line-array. 

It's good to see someone spent the time to draw in a "current' speaker system for live sound instead of just the usual 1 x full-range speaker.
And why is that considered "better"?

There are people who would disagree with you-me being one of them.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 02:24:57 PM »

Last night I swung by a venue (firehall) where a band I know was going to be playing, just to touch base with the band. The provided PA was 2 VRX on sticks per sides which amounts to my 2nd least favorite "real" PA, the first being 1 VRX per side. I looked at the PA and then looked at the worsening snow, waved hello to a couple of people, and turned around and drove back to the evening bar gig where a friend was playing through a pair of yamaha clubs and mixing from stage.

Guess which sounded better.
Jay Barracato

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 02:34:06 PM »

Ivan....

It doesn't matter one bit which speaker/system is depicted.  In the world of commercials it will ALWAYS happen that when the speaker steps up to the mic to address the crowd there will be an audible "squank" of feedback......because that's what sound systems do............
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 02:39:20 PM »

Guess which sounded better.

The one using oxygen-free gold plated palladium enriched Monster speaker cables?

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 02:49:42 PM »

Ivan - I completely agree with you (in fact, I'm on your side); though, my posting never said it was better... just that it was current.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Goodwill and line-arrays
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 02:53:07 PM »

I've never run on a VRX system. What accounts for the disparity here do you think? Do you guys dislike VRX in general, or is it when they are arranged in non-full arrays like 1 or 2 boxes?

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 03:25:31 PM »

I've never run on a VRX system. What accounts for the disparity here do you think? Do you guys dislike VRX in general, or is it when they are arranged in non-full arrays like 1 or 2 boxes?

Well...some people don't like the VRX boxes because, although they're promoted as a Line Array, they're not Really a Line Array.  Some people don't like JBL speaker systems, including the VRX model.  Some people don't like the way the VRX boxes sound, and some people don't like the way the VRX boxes are most often used or set-up.

I think that many people forget that they're just another tool in the available Sound System war-chest. They'll either work for a specific application, or they won't.

I've used the VRX boxes many times, and I find that they work best for Corpy work. They wouldn't be in my top ten choices for Live Music reinforcement.

Cheers,
   Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 03:29:59 PM »

Some people don't like the way the VRX boxes sound, and some people don't like the way the VRX boxes are most often used or set-up.

Bingo,

Unfortunately, when I run into them they are not "another tool in the war chest" , they are the only tool.

As the old saying goes, when the only tool you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.

With that said, with three boxes a side, hung with appropriate trim height, they smooth out and become usable.
Jay Barracato

Chris Davis

• SR Forums
  • USA
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 03:43:05 PM »

Well, that's sort of what the problem is.  Although they boast a 4 box max, they still don't really operate like a real line array (or at least that's what it seemed like to me last time I tried them).  Normal line arrays have much greater positioning flexibility, and also have a much larger hang of boxes.  The VRX are not the worst speakers I have ever heard, but many pro-consumers that are using them might be better off just be using point-source speakers instead, like perhaps the SRX, as they cover more bases in fewer steps and don't create new issues.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 03:43:05 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.