ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Dummy" speaker cabs- where to rent/ lease/ buy  (Read 10840 times)

Jason Dermer

• Asbury Audio
"Dummy" speaker cabs- where to rent/ lease/ buy
« on: February 09, 2012, 10:57:39 PM »

We are sending out a 60's "Woodstock" tour and the designer wants a "wall of Marshalls" for the Hendrix portion. As the entire show (monitor rig and backline for 16 musos, FOH console, video/ oil projection, supplemental lighting package) needs to ride in a single 53, we are a bit tight on space. I have had tours come through our venues with dummy faceplates only, in configurable sections. Does anyone know where to get these "ready made" or are we hitting the woodshop?
Jason Dermer
Owner, Asbury Audio Inc.
winner, "Best Regional Audio Company, Northeast" in the 2011 Parnelli Awards

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
Re: "Dummy" speaker cabs- where to rent/ lease/ buy
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 11:07:33 PM »

We are sending out a 60's "Woodstock" tour and the designer wants a "wall of Marshalls" for the Hendrix portion. As the entire show (monitor rig and backline for 16 musos, FOH console, video/ oil projection, supplemental lighting package) needs to ride in a single 53, we are a bit tight on space. I have had tours come through our venues with dummy faceplates only, in configurable sections. Does anyone know where to get these "ready made" or are we hitting the woodshop?

Hello Jason,

I can't remember ever seeing an "ready built" fakes.   But in any case, I'm sure it will be much more cost effective to make them yourself.  I've seen some really cool fakes that fold... sides in, then top & bottom.  The individual units slid like playing cards into their shipping box.

Good Luck,
   Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 04:22:14 AM »

Could you get away with projecting an image of a wall of Marshalls?  Possibly from behind to avoid shadows?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 06:02:13 AM »

Hello Jason,

I can't remember ever seeing an "ready built" fakes.   But in any case, I'm sure it will be much more cost effective to make them yourself.  I've seen some really cool fakes that fold... sides in, then top & bottom.  The individual units slid like playing cards into their shipping box.

Good Luck,
   Hammer
I worked with a band years ago that had exactly that type of thing.  The sides were on hinges-you fold them out and then the top and bottom pieces had slots that slid on the the sides/front and they were actually pretty strong when put together-you could easily stand on them and looked great and did not take up up room at all.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Doug Johnson

• Rhoadesville, VA
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 02:51:49 PM »

If you don't want to make them yourself, I'm sure any theatrical scenery shop could make them.  Another option that comes to mind is the possiblity of high res graphics.on plywood.

MARK PAVLETICH

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 01:47:37 AM »

I don't remember any photos of Hendrix with a wall of Marshalls. I only ever recall one or two stacks at the most. The wall of Marshall thing waqs more 80's hair metal than 60's Hendrix.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 02:07:09 AM »

I don't remember any photos of Hendrix with a wall of Marshalls. I only ever recall one or two stacks at the most. The wall of Marshall thing waqs more 80's hair metal than 60's Hendrix.

Theater designers seldom constrain themselves with reality, and historical accuracy is only important if the director makes it so.  That's why plays are considered a form of "story telling."
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jason Dermer

• Asbury Audio
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 07:05:47 PM »

Theater designers seldom constrain themselves with reality, and historical accuracy is only important if the director makes it so.  That's why plays are considered a form of "story telling."
Thank you Tim. We were not hired to question the designer, we were hired to implement her vision.
FWIW, we are "only" looking to simulate 2 full stacks/ heads. Less than Hendrix played at times:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI5IthRfnik&feature=related

edit: fixed attachment

« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 07:08:48 PM by Jason Dermer »
Jason Dermer
Owner, Asbury Audio Inc.
winner, "Best Regional Audio Company, Northeast" in the 2011 Parnelli Awards

michael sveda

• Greensboro, NC
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 08:31:34 PM »

Hendrix also used Sunn amps early on...big 2x15 jbl cabs

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 08:31:34 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 25 queries.