ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bad from the factory all these years...  (Read 3031 times)

Mike Allgeier

Bad from the factory all these years...
« on: February 08, 2012, 03:43:08 PM »

I mentioned in another post that I responded to that I spent the last 2 days assisting an acoustician we hired to tune up our 16 year old sound system. It had really gone down in sound quality and there were also intermittent reliability issues so I was able to get this guy to come in back in December to do an initial assessment where we discovered a number of things wrong. This sound system had never sounded "pristine" to my ears. I partially blamed the room itself, and partially blamed the installation company. I could never put my finger on it but there was just something not right. The sound just didn't sound open. It sound tight and constricted.

In the initial assessment, the acoustics guy found that 4 out of the 5 HF diaphragms were exhibiting problems. One was completely gone and 3 others were weak and each sounded different as you walked across the room. I contracted with another local sound company to order and install 4 new diaphragms in the cluster. (The diaphragm in the 5th cabinet had been replaced about 3 years ago.) While the crew was up in the cluster replacing the diaphragms they discovered that the HF driver for the center-most cabinet had been manufactured badly and was not allowing the voice coil to move freely. They happened to have a new driver on the truck that was exactly what was needed to fix it so they swapped it out. I can't describe how that one fix affected the sound other than it just didn't sound right before, but now, it sounds clean, clear, and open. Of course the acoustician  did a lot more than just point out that we had speaker problems (We also installed an EV Netmax 8000 unit that really helped clean things up too), but that one speaker just sounds so much better now.

ProSoundWeb Community

Bad from the factory all these years...
« on: February 08, 2012, 03:43:08 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.