ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: speaker box design software  (Read 8817 times)

Jeff Bankston

speaker box design software
« on: February 07, 2012, 10:42:07 PM »

which do you prefer > Eminence or WinISD. i get slightly different port deminsions from each.

Elliot Thompson

Re: speaker box design software
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 05:58:39 PM »

which do you prefer > Eminence or WinISD. i get slightly different port deminsions from each.

Hi.

Your analysis is what I discovered 10 years ago, upon measuring the frequency response with a sine wave sweep. I ended up purchasing Eminence Designer.

The problem with WinISD (Non Pro version) is offering misleading results on the frequency response when creating a reflex cabinet.

I would recommend using the pro version of WinISD (It may still be in Alpha stage) for it calculates the TS Parameters of the driver whereas the non-pro version will accept anything you dial in if you prefer not purchasing Eminence Designer or Bass Box Pro. The only reason I did not go that route is due to WinISD Pro was not offered in 2002.

Eminence Designer/Bass Box Lite in addition to Bass Box Pro is from Harristech. The difference amongst the two is taking more things into the equation such as framing the cabinet (Bass Box Pro) and a wider selection of manufacturers in Bass Box Pro’s library. Eminence Designer only offers Eminence Loudspeakers in its database. However, you can manually add other manufacturers in Eminence Designer. It also lacks the ability of taking frames in the account.

Eminence Designer also requires the CD installed in order to function. I might add Eminence Designer does not offer a full screen compared to Bass Box Pro.

I’ve created around 6 or 8 cabinets in Eminence Designer and modified the errors that stemmed from WinISD (non-pro version) so, I would not recommend WinISD (non-pro version) to anyone who is series about creating a reflex cabinet.

Best Regards,

Rick Alan

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 09:19:25 PM »

Little redirection: Who can I give a list of drivers to and develop a box for them that I can make?

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 03:45:46 AM »

Hi.

Your analysis is what I discovered 10 years ago, upon measuring the frequency response with a sine wave sweep. I ended up purchasing Eminence Designer.

The problem with WinISD (Non Pro version) is offering misleading results on the frequency response when creating a reflex cabinet.

I would recommend using the pro version of WinISD (It may still be in Alpha stage) for it calculates the TS Parameters of the driver whereas the non-pro version will accept anything you dial in if you prefer not purchasing Eminence Designer or Bass Box Pro. The only reason I did not go that route is due to WinISD Pro was not offered in 2002.

Eminence Designer/Bass Box Lite in addition to Bass Box Pro is from Harristech. The difference amongst the two is taking more things into the equation such as framing the cabinet (Bass Box Pro) and a wider selection of manufacturers in Bass Box Pro’s library. Eminence Designer only offers Eminence Loudspeakers in its database. However, you can manually add other manufacturers in Eminence Designer. It also lacks the ability of taking frames in the account.

Eminence Designer also requires the CD installed in order to function. I might add Eminence Designer does not offer a full screen compared to Bass Box Pro.

I’ve created around 6 or 8 cabinets in Eminence Designer and modified the errors that stemmed from WinISD (non-pro version) so, I would not recommend WinISD (non-pro version) to anyone who is series about creating a reflex cabinet.

Best Regards,
the WinISD i downloaded is the one they posted on their facebook page. it is WinISD 0.7.0.900. is this the one you have used ? i downloaded the winpro alpha version but i havent compared it to this version. i'll stick with the eminence numbers for now. thanks , jeff

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 11:25:28 AM »

the WinISD i downloaded is the one they posted on their facebook page. it is WinISD 0.7.0.900. is this the one you have used ? i downloaded the winpro alpha version but i havent compared it to this version. i'll stick with the eminence numbers for now. thanks , jeff

Hi.

The last time I used WinISD was in the year of 2002 in which I downloaded the software directly from the developer’s website. I was actually surprised to hear 10 years later someone encountering the same scenario I embarked a decade ago. You may want to check on the current updates on the developers site to find out if WinISD was updated from 2002.

I also took it upon myself to use a DOS version of Leap (in 2002) to confirm which program was correct. The Leap results matched Eminence/Bass Box Lite/Pro status. Having Leap software matching Eminence/Bass Box Lite/Bass Box Pro results, in addition to matching the measured results using a sine wave sweep, I never looked at WinISD again.

Bear in mind their was a differential of 10 Hz amongst WinISD and Eminence Designer. That is something I could not overlook especially in the sound reinforcement market.

Best Regards,

Elliot.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 12:19:25 PM by Elliot Thompson »

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 03:22:36 PM »

Hi.

The last time I used WinISD was in the year of 2002 in which I downloaded the software directly from the developer’s website. I was actually surprised to hear 10 years later someone encountering the same scenario I embarked a decade ago. You may want to check on the current updates on the developers site to find out if WinISD was updated from 2002.

I also took it upon myself to use a DOS version of Leap (in 2002) to confirm which program was correct. The Leap results matched Eminence/Bass Box Lite/Pro status. Having Leap software matching Eminence/Bass Box Lite/Bass Box Pro results, in addition to matching the measured results using a sine wave sweep, I never looked at WinISD again.

Bear in mind their was a differential of 10 Hz amongst WinISD and Eminence Designer. That is something I could not overlook especially in the sound reinforcement market.

Best Regards,

Elliot.
thank you , jeff

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 03:22:36 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.