ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: FOH stack seeks like-minded sub recommenations  (Read 9182 times)

Dan Lawrence

• Mountain Sound
FOH stack seeks like-minded sub recommenations
« on: February 07, 2012, 04:53:56 PM »

I am looking for some recommendations for a set of subwoofers for my passive speaker system. The system is mobile, and designed to handle mid-sized clubs to small (?) halls.  I am looking for both a manufacturer recommendation, and a size rating which will match this spread:

JBL 2226H Low Freq "15,  range 30 - 2.5kHz 600 watts

JBL 2012H mid/low "10, horn-loaded 75-7.5Khz range 300W

JBL 2446H Hi Freq. compression driver -  (4" voice coil) 500-20Khz
   Range - 100/150W    (150 continuous over 1Kz - I split it off at 1.5-2k))

Signal processing is mainly done through a Driverack 4800.

A few notes on my particular preferences or (mis)conceptions:

1) Would prefer a passive speaker for the weight efficiency and volume control from the rack instead of at the speaker itself. Isn't passive doesn't more efficient in terms of current consumption?

2) Love my JBL's, but I compared some "consumer-grade" subs a few years back for lack of options. The JBL's (don't recall the model #) rattled and shook as opposed to the round, tight sound I prefer. I want a set that can be felt in the belly, but have more fat bounce than rattle, and sound good for most varieties of music.

3) I would prefer to keep it to one cabinet per side for now, provided it is practical for a power output which would match the above listing.

4)  Budget is $1,000 to  $1,500 per side (sub). The lower end of that budget, still affords a good  power amp to run them (bridged mono). I currently use mostly Lab Gruppen fp series to drive the stack,  and wonder if I should use the standard 2 - 2.5 times power overrating for amp sizing when it comes to subs. (Assuming the system would be used for bass-heavy rock and hip-hop, and dance/trance/techno.)

5) I don't have a workshop or apartment space to build the "LABs".

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: FOH stack seeks like-minded sub recommenations
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 05:16:21 PM »

I am looking for some recommendations for a set of subwoofers for my passive speaker system. The system is mobile, and designed to handle mid-sized clubs to small (?) halls.  I am looking for both a manufacturer recommendation, and a size rating which will match this spread:

JBL 2226H Low Freq "15,  range 30 - 2.5kHz 600 watts

JBL 2012H mid/low "10, horn-loaded 75-7.5Khz range 300W

JBL 2446H Hi Freq. compression driver -  (4" voice coil) 500-20Khz
   Range - 100/150W    (150 continuous over 1Kz - I split it off at 1.5-2k))

Signal processing is mainly done through a Driverack 4800.

A few notes on my particular preferences or (mis)conceptions:

1) Would prefer a passive speaker for the weight efficiency and volume control from the rack instead of at the speaker itself. Isn't passive doesn't more efficient in terms of current consumption?

2) Love my JBL's, but I compared some "consumer-grade" subs a few years back for lack of options. The JBL's (don't recall the model #) rattled and shook as opposed to the round, tight sound I prefer. I want a set that can be felt in the belly, but have more fat bounce than rattle, and sound good for most varieties of music.

3) I would prefer to keep it to one cabinet per side for now, provided it is practical for a power output which would match the above listing.

4)  Budget is $1,000 to  $1,500 per side (sub). The lower end of that budget, still affords a good  power amp to run them (bridged mono). I currently use mostly Lab Gruppen fp series to drive the stack,  and wonder if I should use the standard 2 - 2.5 times power overrating for amp sizing when it comes to subs. (Assuming the system would be used for bass-heavy rock and hip-hop, and dance/trance/techno.)

5) I don't have a workshop or apartment space to build the "LABs".

What kind of tops are these? Just listing the usable frequency range of the drivers doesn't help. The real question is, what is the usable frequency range of the system in their cabinets?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Dan Lawrence

• Mountain Sound
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 11:43:05 AM »

What kind of tops are these? Just listing the usable frequency range of the drivers doesn't help. The real question is, what is the usable frequency range of the system in their cabinets?

Hi Tim -

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure I understand the full range of your question, but I'll do my best to be more clear here. All three ranges are individually boxed/tuned JBL pro series speakers. The highs and mids are horn loaded, with the lows ported, front facing. Is there any other info that might help?

Thanks again

d

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 11:53:00 AM »

I'm not sure I understand the full range of your question

I think a model number, something users could look up, is what they are searching for!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 11:54:50 AM »

Hi Tim -

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure I understand the full range of your question, but I'll do my best to be more clear here. All three ranges are individually boxed/tuned JBL pro series speakers. The highs and mids are horn loaded, with the lows ported, front facing. Is there any other info that might help?

What's needed is some performance guidelines. With no mention of how your system is processed, or powered, or any mention of how loud it is capable of getting, it is hard to specify a sub based on anything other than budget.

Based on budget, and the success that many here have had with them, you might want to consider the JBL SRX 728. It is a dual 18" that has proven a great value and high performer.

Mac

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 11:57:47 AM »

I think a model number, something users could look up, is what they are searching for!

He gave what model numbers there are. It is a system of individual speaker components, a 15" low box, 10" mid box, and compression driver on a  horn high box, using a dbx 4800 for crossover and system processing.

There is no easy way from the specs of the individual components to interpolate the performance of the system.

Mac
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 12:24:23 PM by Mac Kerr »

Dan Lawrence

• Mountain Sound
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 12:03:11 PM »

Hi Sam -

All model numbers are listed in the original post, right after the JBL designation, but for redundancy's sake, they are JBL 2246/ 2012/ 2446  low/mid/hi respectively.

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 12:28:16 PM »

Hi Sam -

All model numbers are listed in the original post, right after the JBL designation, but for redundancy's sake, they are JBL 2246/ 2012/ 2446  low/mid/hi respectively.

Driver part numbers without detailed specs on the boxes and horns they are loaded into are useless. In a system like this it would be much more useful to have a performance spec rather than part numbers. What is the magnitude response like over the covered bandwidth of the system? What are the horizontal and vertical coverage patterns like? At what frequencies?

Much more information is needed for a recommendation to be made on the basis of the system's performance. It is much easier to make a recommendation based on your stated budget.

Mac

Dan Lawrence

• Mountain Sound
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 12:47:52 PM »

He gave what model numbers there are. It is a system of individual speaker components, a 15" low box, 10" mid box, and compression driver on a  horn high box, using a dbx 4800 for crossover and system processing.

There is no way from the specs of the individual components to interpolate the performance of the system.

Mac

Thanks for chiming in Mac. I will research my data sheets (not here now) for the required info. One thing, do you want to know potential frequency ranges for the speakers, or the crossover points I'm currently using?

Secondly, in regard to frequency response vs. horizontal and vertical coverage, I am not sure how to express that in language, as opposed to posting the response graphs.

Also, the mid horns are custom made my SSL in Washington, and I still need to get data how these affect the spectrum.

thnx again,
d

Dan Lawrence

• Mountain Sound
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 12:49:59 PM »

Thanks for chiming in Mac. I will research my data sheets (not here now) for the required info. One thing, do you want to know potential frequency ranges for the speakers, or the crossover points I'm currently using?

Secondly, in regard to frequency response vs. horizontal and vertical coverage, I am not sure how to express that in language, as opposed to posting the response graphs.

Also, the mid horns are custom made my SSL in Washington, and I still need to get data how these affect the spectrum.

oops, pre -coffee brain fart. Those mid horns are made by DDS.

respective apologies to said manufacturer ...

thnx again,
d

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 12:49:59 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.