ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone with Winebottler experience help get Protea software running on a Mac?  (Read 10830 times)

Jon Dayton

• I've been getting ready for this gig my whole life

We just got an Ashly ne24.24m and I've been trying to get the control software installed on a MacBook using Winebottler but not having much luck.  I'm curious to know if anyone has gotten it to work and what tricks they used.  Or if not, is it worth trying Parallels or getting into Boot Camp?
Jon Dayton
BNB Sound

Cliff Fuller

We just got an Ashly ne24.24m and I've been trying to get the control software installed on a MacBook using Winebottler but not having much luck.  I'm curious to know if anyone has gotten it to work and what tricks they used.  Or if not, is it worth trying Parallels or getting into Boot Camp?

I just tried with success to install this. I don't know if the communication port/s work but the software does run. I used the "File Manager" under Wine to navigate to the install routine, it also installed something from MS via the internet. Once installed, I ran the app from a Finder window (Open With ...).

Hope this helps ....

Jon Dayton

I just tried with success to install this. I don't know if the communication port/s work but the software does run. I used the "File Manager" under Wine to navigate to the install routine, it also installed something from MS via the internet. Once installed, I ran the app from a Finder window (Open With ...).

Hope this helps ....

I got further than any of the other eight times I tried at work.  Possibly the sketchy network connection was preventing the MS download.  It made the app for me but on the first start I get a pop up saying that '''''' is not a valid operator.  Back to the drawing board.
Jon Dayton
BNB Sound

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA

I got further than any of the other eight times I tried at work.  Possibly the sketchy network connection was preventing the MS download.  It made the app for me but on the first start I get a pop up saying that '''''' is not a valid operator.  Back to the drawing board.

If you're programming this for an install, rent or borrow a Windows machine and be done with this silliness that your Mac needs to be everything to everyone all the time...

If you're doing this to work with your own gear or you're an end-user of the install, experiment to your hearts content... but to me, kludging a command & control machine from a different OS is like putting up an SM57 and expecting U87 results.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jon Dayton

If you're programming this for an install, rent or borrow a Windows machine and be done with this silliness that your Mac needs to be everything to everyone all the time...

If you're doing this to work with your own gear or you're an end-user of the install, experiment to your hearts content... but to me, kludging a command & control machine from a different OS is like putting up an SM57 and expecting U87 results.

In all honesty I'd rather have a PC but my work machine is a Mac and while there's no rule against me bringing in a PC, I'd rather not haul my Mac that they paid to put Smaart on and another notebook to talk to the racks in all the different rooms (6 in two buildings).

At any rate, I ran into some of the Ashly guys at a lunch the other day and they said that shortly all their stuff will come with a web interface.  I'm just trying to get everything I need on one machine for the time being.

It seems I'm almost there.  There's one control that's not properly registering and halting the startup.
Jon Dayton
BNB Sound

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber

In all honesty I'd rather have a PC but my work machine is a Mac and while there's no rule against me bringing in a PC, I'd rather not haul my Mac that they paid to put Smaart on and another notebook to talk to the racks in all the different rooms (6 in two buildings).

At any rate, I ran into some of the Ashly guys at a lunch the other day and they said that shortly all their stuff will come with a web interface.  I'm just trying to get everything I need on one machine for the time being.

It seems I'm almost there.  There's one control that's not properly registering and halting the startup.

If this is a work machine, and you need to do actual work with it, install Parallels or Fusion, and a real copy of Windows, and have it both ways. Why build a kludge for a job? Both Parallels and Fusion work well, and allow one click switching between MacOS or Windows. Boot Camp was a PITA when I tried it. I think the memory leak has been fixed, but it still requires a reboot to change OSs. I have run control software for Studer Vista 5, Riedel Artist, Riedel Rockworks, Yamaha PM1D, Digico SD10, and RF Guru, all with no problems.

Mac

Jon Dayton

If this is a work machine, and you need to do actual work with it, install Parallels or Fusion, and a real copy of Windows, and have it both ways. Why build a kludge for a job? Both Parallels and Fusion work well, and allow one click switching between MacOS or Windows. Boot Camp was a PITA when I tried it. I think the memory leak has been fixed, but it still requires a reboot to change OSs. I have run control software for Studer Vista 5, Riedel Artist, Riedel Rockworks, Yamaha PM1D, Digico SD10, and RF Guru, all with no problems.

Mac

Parallels will be the next step.  The Mac works fine for nearly everything I do and I wanted to try and sort this out on the cheap if possible (the Mac and Smaart were a good sized outlay).  When it comes right down to it there's not much else that I need a windows environment for.  Not at all worth booting back and forth.  So while it's slow and we're waiting for the new budget I figured I'd fiddle with it a while.

The frustrating thing is that others seem to have gotten it and I seem to be not far from getting it.  So enough of me justifying the experience.  If I can't get it I'll just have to go fetch the PC based netbook when I need to talk to the racks.   But attached is a screen shot of the most recent hang up.
Jon Dayton
BNB Sound

Cliff Fuller

But attached is a screen shot of the most recent hang up.

FWIW, Knob32.ocx should be found in your "virtual drive C", the path to mine is "~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Ashly Audio Inc/Protea Software Suite/Knob32.OCX". AFAIK, the requestor that you are seeing indicates that the app can't find the file. What I've noticed about WineBottler or Wine is that you can have multiple "virtual drives", because of that you may have inadvertently installed the app somewhere other than where Wine thinks it should be. Because the "~/.wine" directory is an invisible folder in OSX it may be difficult to figure this out. If you use the "Go | Go to Folder..." in the Finder menu bar and enter "~/.wine" the directory should open.

If you start the app WineBottler, you will see how many virtual drives you have. It will also allow you to click on the little magnifying glass to open that particular virtual drive.

I might suggest that if all this is confusing you might un-install WineBottler and try installing it again noting where your virtual drive is located.

As other folks have mentioned, Wine may or may not be the best way to implement the applications you want to use. I use it because I like the challenge but in mission critical situations it may not be the best thing to do. I also use "Virtual Box" as my virtual machine app and seam to have few if any issues. YMMV

Hope this helps ....

Jon Dayton

As other folks have mentioned, Wine may or may not be the best way to implement the applications you want to use. I use it because I like the challenge but in mission critical situations it may not be the best thing to do. I also use "Virtual Box" as my virtual machine app and seam to have few if any issues. YMMV

I like a challenge as well and have been wanting to learn more about WINE so I can get some a few missing pieces running on my Ubuntu machine at home.  If I can get it running with a fair amount of reliability that would be great but failing that I've got Virtual Box cued up and I'll give it a try next.

Thanks to all who answered.  Your advice has been very helpful.
Jon Dayton
BNB Sound

Ben Mehlman

Hey guys.. raising this discussion from the dead!  I too have tried to get the Protea System Software running under WINE (on linux), about 6 months ago, and had the same problem with PSS being unable to load the OCX file.  The file is where it's supposed to be. 

Have you had any luck working it out?

I may go back to this and try to solve it.. I am a computer programmer (but I am a unix guy.. Windows not so much) so I have a few tools I can try, eg running strace on it to see the actual pathname of the file it's trying to open...

But hopefully someone's made progress on this in the last year :)

"Get Windows"? I already have two machines running windows.. a 12 inch and a 14.  But sometimes I have two systems out at the same time, and thus need three machines.  Linux is a lot less hassle than windows.. it's a lot more flexible if you need to move hard disks around.. no license hassles.. and I already have two additional laptops running it.  I already have an additional 12 inch running linux hence my desire to run the PSS under WINE.

"Get the new processor"??  I already have three Ashly processors which I like.. and can't afford to replace them.

Really.. I do not think that PSS is particularly complex software when it comes to the use of Windows system calls.. and it's rather old, so running on WINE should be possible.  It would be great if Ashly could get involved with this issue and figure it out.  They have the PSS source code, so it would be a lot easier for them than for us.  The support from those guys has been generally great.

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 23 queries.