ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone with Winebottler experience help get Protea software running on a Mac?  (Read 10828 times)

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND

Hey guys.. raising this discussion from the dead!  I too have tried to get the Protea System Software running under WINE (on linux), about 6 months ago, and had the same problem with PSS being unable to load the OCX file.  The file is where it's supposed to be. 

Have you had any luck working it out?

I may go back to this and try to solve it.. I am a computer programmer (but I am a unix guy.. Windows not so much) so I have a few tools I can try, eg running strace on it to see the actual pathname of the file it's trying to open...

But hopefully someone's made progress on this in the last year :)

"Get Windows"? I already have two machines running windows.. a 12 inch and a 14.  But sometimes I have two systems out at the same time, and thus need three machines.  Linux is a lot less hassle than windows.. it's a lot more flexible if you need to move hard disks around.. no license hassles.. and I already have two additional laptops running it.  I already have an additional 12 inch running linux hence my desire to run the PSS under WINE.

"Get the new processor"??  I already have three Ashly processors which I like.. and can't afford to replace them.

Really.. I do not think that PSS is particularly complex software when it comes to the use of Windows system calls.. and it's rather old, so running on WINE should be possible.  It would be great if Ashly could get involved with this issue and figure it out.  They have the PSS source code, so it would be a lot easier for them than for us.  The support from those guys has been generally great.

Have you tried Virtualbox?  I have it running on Debian and Ubuntu but haven't tried the protea software suite yet, just the original RS-232 non-networked application they had for programming the original 24.24m (because the boxes I'm running it on have real serial ports) 
Haven't had luck getting a USB to serial adaptor working with it on any of my debian laptops -but i am not that knowledgeable on linux yet so give me time.

Parallels on a mac works flawlessly for me though.  I actually have specific VM's for whatever brand of dsp I'm programming and it's nice to be able to have all my prior designs, the app to program with and an entire operating system all in one file that you can back-up everywhere. 
I had a job recently where my older macbook died beyond all repair and was able to just move the VM to the clients mac-mini and finish the job without having to re-install anything or loss of prior templates.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Ben Mehlman

Hi Craig, thanks!  I use VirtualBox often for my computer work.. usually to run instances of linux or freedos on top of linux.  I haven't tried installing Windows on VirtualBox yet though I know it's made for that.  I assume I would need to buy another copy of Windows which I would prefer to avoid, but at least it would be the last time.. since I assume Windows doesn't notice when you move the VM from one physical box to another?

Anyway I'm going to try a bit more on WINE and see what I can come up with.  I too have the RS-232/422 Proteas and use them with a COM to TCP gateway, so I don't usually have to worry about the USB-Serial adapter cables though I do have them for backup.

Ben Mehlman

So, I got it to run!

In short, the problem was that two MS Visual C++ DLL's were missing.

MFC40.DLL
MFC40LOC.DLL

These files are freely distributable with applications built using VC++,  but for whatever reason they were not installed with PSS.. or, PSS tried to install them but failed...  Or...  Anyway, for whatever reason, they are not there.

I found the two files on my Windows machines (one on one machine, one on another), and put them in my ~/.wine/ directory, and kazam, no problem.

But I don't have it talking to the Protea yet.. I have to work out the COM port stuff.  WINE does support linux serial devices and in theory should work with a USB-serial cable, but the drivers for those can be pretty tricky so we shall see about that tomorrow :)

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.