ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: graphic eq or feedback destroyer?  (Read 35390 times)

michael sveda

• Greensboro, NC
graphic eq or feedback destroyer?
« on: February 04, 2012, 06:22:42 PM »

I am looking to insert either a stereo graphic eq or feedback destroyer on my vocal subgroup.  I have some low end feedback in my vocal mics that I want notch out without affecting the main mix.  The feedback unit has a more parametric approach in getting deeper and varying the "q".  A 31 band can probably get there after but might not cut enough.  It seems my lowed fb is around 100-200hz.  My Yamaha mg32 only has fixed 80hz filter.  What way should I go?

Ryan Grandusky

Re: graphic eq or feedback destroyer?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 06:33:11 PM »

Have you tried solving the problem with cutting on your vocal channel EQ on the console? The low EQ is at 100hz and I believe your mid sweepable frequency can go down to 250hz on the MG series.

Is this feedback in the main speakers or the monitors?
Ryan "Squirrel" Grandusky
Sound Provider in Central Texas.
Speakers: RCF HDL6a, NX-L44a, 8006-AS, EV XLD281, QRX153, QRX115, ZX1, SB122, XSUBS, JBL PRX835w, SRX828SP, Yorkville LS2100P, EAW SM200, Macpherson M12P, Yamaha A12M.
Consoles: Digico SD12, SD11, Soundcraft Si Perf 1, Exp 3, Comp 24, Midas M32, Presonus SL 32SX, SL 16r, Mackie DL1608

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
graphic eq or feedback destroyer?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 06:41:54 PM »

I'd look at mic selection & monitor/speaker placement before getting A feedback destroyer. They don't work well and using as a parametric on the fly is pointless. You may also want to look at a parametric eq you could insert vs. a graphic.

Besides your MG mixer let us know mics, monitors and speakers and placement.

duane massey

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 06:45:05 PM »

A parametric or a FBD would be my choice. If you use the FBD, don't use the live filter functions, just use fixed filters, and only as much as you need.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Derek Konop

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 07:00:25 PM »

I am looking to insert either a stereo graphic eq or feedback destroyer on my vocal subgroup.  I have some low end feedback in my vocal mics that I want notch out without affecting the main mix.  The feedback unit has a more parametric approach in getting deeper and varying the "q".  A 31 band can probably get there after but might not cut enough.  It seems my lowed fb is around 100-200hz.  My Yamaha mg32 only has fixed 80hz filter.  What way should I go?

Low end feedback from vocal mics is fairly unusual in my book. I'm guessing there has to be something else going on. Since you're not utilizing any sort of eq now, and the first thing to feedback is 100 hz.... I'm a little worried. Typically a vocal mic is going to peel your eyebrows off with feedback in the 1k-4k range. Low end rumble, looseness, or feedback is normally only going to come from kick drum mics, floor tom mics, or something similar.

What mics are you using? What are the other instruments on stage? What is the stage set up like?

Derek
Trying to think of something clever to put here.

michael sveda

• Greensboro, NC
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 07:10:48 PM »

Church venue is in a strip mall. Seats about 150.  Qsc hpr 153 tops over qsc single 18" subs.  Mics are sennheiser e835.  No feedback in monitors.  Feedback is on mains.  I have a BBE 31 band eq on main mix.  I would rather not notch out 100-200 Hz range on the whole mix.  I'd like to eq my vocals on the bus and get more gbf in the mains.

Drums are on a riser to the back and stage left.  Audix d6 kick, sm57's on snare and toms, a/t pro37 overheads.  Guitar amps are sm57. 

Monitors are two yamha club15's.  Have drums and bass player on headphones with rolls pm50 headphone amps.

Have two behringer 4 channel comps/gatesserving drums, vocal bus, bass and acoustic gtr.

"
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 07:15:11 PM by michael sveda »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 07:13:26 PM »

Low end feedback from vocal mics is fairly unusual in my book. I'm guessing there has to be something else going on. Since you're not utilizing any sort of eq now, and the first thing to feedback is 100 hz.... I'm a little worried. Typically a vocal mic is going to peel your eyebrows off with feedback in the 1k-4k range. Low end rumble, looseness, or feedback is normally only going to come from kick drum mics, floor tom mics, or something similar.

What mics are you using? What are the other instruments on stage? What is the stage set up like?

Derek

Derek,

No offense intended, but I beg to disagree with your analysis if only because it is too broad and the OP has not given any information which would make your take on it really valid.

Low end feedback can come from any mic, anywhere or can be a function of the physical relationship of several mics.

The first thing to do is to make sure the vocal mics are actually the culprits.  After that, use whatever channel strip EQ available to temper the LF response on the vox mics.  I commonly roll off the LF in the channel EQ as well as engaging the "rumble filter". Better to fix it at the individual mics than apply a blanket EQ band-aid downstream in the signal chain. 

I would also want to verify that the input gain on the mics is properly set and that the vocal mics are NOT being routed to the subs.

Edit:

I see that the vocals are being compressed in the sub-group.  The LF could well be occurring    when the comp lets loose.  Is there any make-up gain applied with the vocal comp???
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 07:17:49 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

michael sveda

• Greensboro, NC
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 07:17:47 PM »

It is the vocal mics.  I have muted all other channels and pushed the gain to find the offending frequencies.  I am using the mid sweep and if eq on the channel strips but it's not enough.  I think I may need the be ringer feedback unit and play around with the parametric filters or try with a 31 band eq. 

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 07:19:26 PM »

It is the vocal mics.  I have muted all other channels and pushed the gain to find the offending frequencies.  I am using the mid sweep and if eq on the channel strips but it's not enough.  I think I may need the be ringer feedback unit and play around with the parametric filters or try with a 31 band eq.

1.  What is the offending frequency?  What musical note of the scale?

2.  Take the vocal mics out of the subs.

Use this:

http://peabody.sapp.org/class/st2/lab/notehz/

If you can relate the feedback to pitch, this chart will let you quickly identify the most likely frequency to try.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 07:25:26 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

michael sveda

• Greensboro, NC
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 07:25:38 PM »

I have the 80hz filter on channel strip on.  I have to depend on the crossover on the subs as the are powered speakers and daisy chained with a mono feed from foh.   Crossover is 100hz.  Speakers are ground stacked on subs in front of stage which is about 18" high.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 07:25:38 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.