ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: EV T18 subs  (Read 42392 times)

Karl Avila

EV T18 subs
« on: February 03, 2012, 09:56:17 AM »

I just got some of these subs used and noticed in all the pics that the speaker magnets face out. Mine aren't like that. They are facing down. They sound awesome but was there some made this way or do you think they may have have been changed? Also should I turn them back around the way I see in the pics?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: EV T18 subs
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 11:55:43 AM »

I just got some of these subs used and noticed in all the pics that the speaker magnets face out. Mine aren't like that. They are facing down. They sound awesome but was there some made this way or do you think they may have have been changed? Also should I turn them back around the way I see in the pics?
If they are used, I would think that somebody "thought" the drivers should be the other way-so they changed it.

I would go with the way they were designed.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Iain.Macdonald

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 11:27:20 AM »

Karl,

The driver should be magnet out. Otherwise you are changing the volume of the rear chamber. Are these genuine, or are they copies like these ones. Is the driver a real 18MT? If it isn't, that could be the reason for the non standard orientation. Check the data sheet pdf on the EV web site.

Iain.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 12:11:55 PM »

Box response changes slightly with the two driver orientations, a little more extension with one and a little more midband gain with the other. That said these boxes are hardly "subs" by todays standards with a response that falls off the cliff at 50hz and is anything but flat from there up so the rated -3db point of 45hz is creative writing at it's best. If these cabs are reproductions and you don't have original DL18MT drivers consider your lucky because some of these copies work better and just about any driver built in the last 20yrs is an improvement over the original EV.

Karl Avila

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 11:10:51 AM »

Ok, I am going to open them up. How will if I know if these are genuine mt's? And if they are not, should I still reverse the speakers with the magnet out?

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

Karl Avila

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 09:51:33 PM »

I opened them up and the speaker says JBL and a sticker that says 88k-JBE on them. I tried googling them but nothing comes up. I flipped them around but now am curious what speakers these are. What are the original ones that  came with?

Karl Avila

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 10:19:24 PM »

Ok, maybe I dont know how to read the speakers right cuz the other one says jbl with a sricker that says 98t-jbe. The only markings that both have is stamped 3 06 108. Any clues?

Nick Enright

• Detroit, MI
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 11:37:52 PM »

Ok, maybe I dont know how to read the speakers right cuz the other one says jbl with a sricker that says 98t-jbe. The only markings that both have is stamped 3 06 108. Any clues?

photos please...

most definately the EV-t18 did not come with JBL drivers.
Nick Enright
Owner / Engineer
Lyve Productions
Detroit, MI

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 11:27:50 PM »

EV also made a sub called the SH1800 which looks just like the T18 except that the driver is mounted "normally"...

Karl Avila

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 05:36:47 PM »

They dont look like those. We play tonight so I will post pics of the speakers in the next day or so when I open them up again.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 05:36:47 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.