ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: multiple vented enclosures and low notes  (Read 3199 times)

Tracy Garner

multiple vented enclosures and low notes
« on: June 27, 2012, 02:59:37 PM »

I'm aware that horn loaded speaker manufactures boast about how multiple cabinets are capable of producing lower notes than if they were used as singles.

Does the same hold true when using multiples of vented cabinets? For example, if you have 4 vented cabinets with an advertised range of lets say 40hz to 150hz, would 4 of those cabinets be capable of producing down to 20-25hz?

Shed some light on this for me.

Thanks in advance,
tracy

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: multiple vented enclosures and low notes
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 04:58:06 PM »

not the same mechanism.

Horns that are designed to be arrayed together, make a larger horn. Visualize a horn with 4' x 4' mouth. When 4 of these are stacked together side by side and over under, they combine to make a composite 8' x 8' mouth horn. The larger the horn size/area, the better coupling to the space at low frequency.

Multiple woofers will couple to some degree but not as coherently a single large horn. 

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 07:25:56 PM »

I'm aware that horn loaded speaker manufactures boast about how multiple cabinets are capable of producing lower notes than if they were used as singles.

Does the same hold true when using multiples of vented cabinets? For example, if you have 4 vented cabinets with an advertised range of lets say 40hz to 150hz, would 4 of those cabinets be capable of producing down to 20-25hz?

Shed some light on this for me.

Thanks in advance,
tracy
The reason horns can extend the low freq response is because of the impedance loading-or radiation resistance that the air provides to the driver-via the horn.

The horns are to small (in an individual cabinet0 for the freq involved.  But when you put them together the mouths "act together" as a single larger mouth-to provide better loading.

Yes the response will go down lower.  But my measurements show that it is not as much as people think.

The biggest thing that multiple horn cabinets do is to smooth the response down low-where the response is "ripply" with a single cabinet.

Multiple front loaded cabinet will make-say 25Hz louder-but they will ALSO make everything above that the same amount louder.

Sometimes this is confused with the freq response.  People assume the system is going lower-but in reality all it is doing is getting louder-and the low notes are more easily heard.

So if you ""get rid" of the upper bass freq-the low notes will appear louder (in relation to the higher bass notes)-so it seems as if the system is going "lower".
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 07:25:56 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.