ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blue LED's keep failing on par fixtures  (Read 3335 times)

Tom Brandis

Blue LED's keep failing on par fixtures
« on: February 02, 2012, 01:50:16 PM »

Strange issue at one of my installs. Over the past few years, every RGB LED fixture I have has had all the blue LED's fail, leaving just Red and Green. This has happend to two different manufactures products. Although the fixures are not high dollar, I can't help but wonder why only the blue LED's fail and nothing else. And no, we don't leave blue on all the time decreasing their life span.

Wondering if anyone else has seen this.

Thanks in advance

Steve (Stevie Ray) Kalbach

• Steve Kalbach
    • Stevie Ray Entertainment
Re: Blue LED's keep failing on par fixtures
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 02:01:17 PM »

Tom,
The LED boards are usually connected to the controller board by 4 pins.  1 is the power for Red, 1 is power Blue, 1 is Power for Green, and 1 is the Neutral. It sounds like something is spiking in your power or DMX chain that is blowing out the control for blue in your pars. 

What you are experiencing is really strange.
Stephen (Stevie Ray) Kalbach
Owner Stevie Ray Entertainment
http://www.stevierayentertainment.com

John Strzalkowski

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 03:21:59 PM »

Is it ALL the blue LED's (in one fixture), or just a few here and there.

If all, I would most certainly check the cable or connector that runs to your LED board. I have noticed a few manufacturers like to zip tie everything on the inside to keep it clean. In the process they make the strain on the connector so tight, it gets partially pulled out during transport. Just a thought..

If its only a few LED's, the lights I use have a similar problem, but with Red:

A strange thing I have noticed with the pars I use is a single LED will fail and leave the rest of the LED's that are in the same series branch working. When I was replacing the individual LED's I would often leave the light on while removing the LED (not safe, blah blah), but I noticed when I heated up the pad with the soldering iron, the LED would spark on and would work as if I had just fixed a cold solder, or bridged a gap in the connection. I at first thought it was a solder problem as the fixture was cheap, undoubtedly from China. After about 5 minutes I notice the same LED flicker out, and stopped working again...Strange. I removed the LED entirely and cleaned the pads and began to solder the LED back into place. It popped on again....and after less than 5 minutes it was off.

Strange but what I think is happening is the diode failed (manufacturing?) and partially shorted, allowing current to flow through to the other LED's (And for some reason drop close to the same voltage). While hot, the LED would emit light, while cold...nothing).

Brian Lemmon

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 04:28:15 PM »

I've had similar problems. We have 8 Chauvet LED 200B's. I noticed rows of blue LED's started to go out. Not all the rows but just a few. For the most part, all the lights eventually ended up having the same set of blue LED's not working. I would swap the LED boards and the problem would follow. I ended up having to replace all the LED light boards a few weeks back. So far, so good.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 04:28:15 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 24 queries.