ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cost Effective in ear system  (Read 4046 times)

Rick Powell

Cost Effective in ear system
« on: February 01, 2012, 10:23:44 PM »

Our lead singer is wanting to try an in ear system but doesn't have a big budget.  I suggested he look for a used Shure PSM 400 or 600 system and get a set of custom molded ear buds to replace the cheap earpieces that come with the system...something like the 1964 Ears dual driver ear buds.  Anyone have a different idea or think this is a good one, and why?  We are using a Studiolive and can give him his own monitor mix.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Cost Effective in ear system
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 10:51:48 PM »

Our lead singer is wanting to try an in ear system but doesn't have a big budget.  I suggested he look for a used Shure PSM 400 or 600 system and get a set of custom molded ear buds to replace the cheap earpieces that come with the system...something like the 1964 Ears dual driver ear buds.  Anyone have a different idea or think this is a good one, and why?  We are using a Studiolive and can give him his own monitor mix.

all reasonably good thoughts.  here's my .02

psm200 - mono.  do not buy.  next question
psm400 - plastic.  infuriating battery door.  most are 700mHz systems.  but they sound okay.
psm600 - built like real gear.  most sold in the U.S are in the 600's so they're legal.  but they only get 2 freqs.  depending on your area it might be not a big deal.  but worth thinking about.
psm700 - see psm600 except more freqs and quite a few in the U.S are in the 700mHz band.  bummer.
psm900/1000 - great.  awesome.  expensive.  there you go.

other options.
sennheiser G2 series.  A or B band are fine.  stay away from G1 [too old].  g3 is great, but probably too rich for your blood.

MiPro MI-808.  great bang for the buck.  hard to find used but new systems are pretty reasonable and worth considering.

i wouldn't spend money on any other wireless system.  there are decent ones from audio-technica, akg, and others, but none of them have many fans...

in-ear drivers.

customs rule, and are almost a necessity for a singer.  1964ears is a great choice.  Livewires are also worth looking at if the 1964ears are still a bit too pricey.  the LW duals are only 249.00  it's what i use and i've been perfectly happy with them.  whatever you get, make sure the wires are replaceable and don't get too hung up on number of drivers. 

make sure you can give him a stereo mix.  also, IEMs are way trickier to mix than wedges, so be prepared for that.

okay, that's all i got for now...  hope that helps.  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 11:45:15 PM »

Sennheiser G2 systems are all over the used market, and they are every bit as solid and good-sounding as the G3's. That would be the only thing I would consider at this point if budget is an issue.  Like Brian said stay away from the G1's. Along with being old, they sound like poo.

MiPro is interesting. I can attest that their RF mics sound and work wonderfully. Never used the iem system though.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 01:11:55 PM »

Rick - to try out an IEM system without blowing big bucks, look at the Rolls PM50s. since you can give him his own mix with limiting protection, this will give you a great way to try out IEMs on a budget.

We are doing the same with our singer and she used it for one show in December; instantly went from needing 2 wedges to 1 back up for the show. Keyboard player is also wanting one.

Only downside is mobility, but we're on wired mics and we don't move around much. Plus trying IEMs for $60 each is perfect.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 03:01:15 PM »

Rick - to try out an IEM system without blowing big bucks, look at the Rolls PM50s. since you can give him his own mix with limiting protection, this will give you a great way to try out IEMs on a budget.

We are doing the same with our singer and she used it for one show in December; instantly went from needing 2 wedges to 1 back up for the show. Keyboard player is also wanting one.

Only downside is mobility, but we're on wired mics and we don't move around much. Plus trying IEMs for $60 each is perfect.

this is a great idea, if it's feasible.  even if it's just in rehearsal, it'll save spending 800-1000 bucks only to have your singer hate it.  which can happen...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 03:17:12 PM »

exactly. It also let her know she needs to spend the money on molded earphones for the best separation -- nice to figure out on this level of budget. It's also a lot easier to tell her to buy a $60 item and headphones than drop $400+ on something that will start to sound as good as a wired connection.

And if it means less powered monitors to me to shlep for our band when we're providing PA, even better...

Rick Powell

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 08:24:15 PM »

this is a great idea, if it's feasible.  even if it's just in rehearsal, it'll save spending 800-1000 bucks only to have your singer hate it.  which can happen...

Our drummer already has a Rolls PM50 and uses it for click track monitoring.  Some songs he also uses it for a vocal singing monitor (w/ Dr. Dre headphones) and on other songs he uses a wedge without the phones.  Funny how that works - some songs he needs the isolation to hear himself w/o interference and other times he needs the ambience to frame his BG vox.

However, with a mobile dude like our lead singer, I would be afraid of someone being asphyxiated by the monitor cord as our lead singer is body-surfed thru the crowd.

michael sveda

• Greensboro, NC
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 08:28:22 PM »

I'm using the PM50 with our drummer and bass player. Works great.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 08:28:22 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.