ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VGA over UTP  (Read 5853 times)

GregBass

VGA over UTP
« on: February 01, 2012, 11:51:21 AM »

I'm currently an AV Manager in a hotel.  We are using VGA for video distribution and it looks terrible with runs beyond 50-75'.  The company is willing to spring for RGBHV cable/DA but I would like to find a video over UTP solution to avoid storing all that large, heavy RGBHV cable. 

Our usual setup is VGA out of a Folsom Pres Pro (VGA is only output option on this older unit.) @60' to a DA under the stage and then @75-80' to two-flown projectors and @ 15' to two-confidence monitors.

In analogue, the Magenta Multiview line seems like it would do the trick.  An XRT-A to a DA9-A to 4-MV500A receivers.  What UTP cable would you suggest for this analogue system?  Belden 7988? 7989?   Would the image quality be at least the same as through the RGBHV setup?

Are there viable digital options in the same price range?  Would the same UTP cable recommended for analogue be used for digital transmission?

Another idea is requesting a new Barco switcher with SDI output and getting an SDI DA and 4-HDMI converter/scalers (using HDMI to DVI cable on projectors?).  The scalers I've looked at are a bit pricey though. 

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Regards,

Greg

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
Re: VGA over UTP
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 12:36:33 PM »

I'm currently an AV Manager in a hotel.  We are using VGA for video distribution and it looks terrible with runs beyond 50-75'.  The company is willing to spring for RGBHV cable/DA but I would like to find a video over UTP solution to avoid storing all that large, heavy RGBHV cable. 

Our usual setup is VGA out of a Folsom Pres Pro (VGA is only output option on this older unit.) @60' to a DA under the stage and then @75-80' to two-flown projectors and @ 15' to two-confidence monitors.

In analogue, the Magenta Multiview line seems like it would do the trick.  An XRT-A to a DA9-A to 4-MV500A receivers.  What UTP cable would you suggest for this analogue system?  Belden 7988? 7989?   Would the image quality be at least the same as through the RGBHV setup?

Are there viable digital options in the same price range?  Would the same UTP cable recommended for analogue be used for digital transmission?

Another idea is requesting a new Barco switcher with SDI output and getting an SDI DA and 4-HDMI converter/scalers (using HDMI to DVI cable on projectors?).  The scalers I've looked at are a bit pricey though. 

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Regards,

Greg

With the Multiview system, you should either use Low-Skew video cable (Belden 7987 or 7988 for throw-away/install cable, or Gepco LSK04HD for reusable), or a skew-compensation receiver for the longer distances.

That being said, if you're popping for new stuff, get an HDMI/HDCP compatible solution.  Some new typical 'client' laptops are HDMI only; some will only work with HDCP-compliant devices.  This eliminates SDI as an option, as your system will no longer be HDCP-compliant.

We've had good luck with Kramer's solutions in our installs (TP-571 Transmitter, TP-572 Receiver, VM-114H4C Distribution Head); others can weigh in on other options.  The upgraded Transmitters/receivers allow for control over the STP as well (TP-573/TP-574).  You'll likely need Cat6STP for best results with any HD solution.  Haven't found anyone that makes a 'rugged' version yet, but Rapco's apparently working on it.  Neutrik recently came out with a Cat6-compliant 'Ethercon' connector, but it's not backwards compatible with their Cat5 Ethercon's.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 12:47:46 PM »

That setup and the distances involved shouldn't be a problem with a good DA and good cable, although I would tend to run it as five wire RGBHV rather than VGA.

Magenta offers some very nice products.  I would suggest talking to Magenta regarding the specific pieces and recommended cabling.

Well, that might depend on what you consider as being in the same price range.  The twisted pair cable gets into an interesting situation as the best image for analog systems is typically associated with low skew cable, either cable made for that purpose or CAT5 and maybe CAT5e.  Unshielded cable is also typical in those applications.  On the other hand, digital video and AVBasetT/AVB systems tend to want/need shielded, CAT5e or CAT6/7 cable.

I mentioned AVBaseT and AVB as if the budget allows you may also want to look at some of the media distribution systems that AMX, Crestron and Extron offer that can address switching and distribution of analog and digital audio and video signals over STP cable.

GregBass

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 01:06:21 PM »

Thanks Brad.  And thanks Jonathan for the Kramer suggestion.  Our switcher is VGA in/out.  Could I use the Kramer FC-31xl to convert VGA to DVI and use a DVI to HDMI cable to hit the PT-571?

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 10:50:40 PM »

I have had some good results with this. We use the transmiter and reciever, looks like you will need the hub also.

http://www.fsrinc.com/products/twister.htm

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 09:49:34 PM »

Thanks Brad.  And thanks Jonathan for the Kramer suggestion.  Our switcher is VGA in/out.  Could I use the Kramer FC-31xl to convert VGA to DVI and use a DVI to HDMI cable to hit the PT-571?
Sure.  Any VGA to DVI-D or HDMI adapter should work.  I'd consider getting an HDMI switcher as well, so that you can switch between your Barco box and a client's HDMI device.
Frankly, you should consider contracting in a company to look over your entire system.  Being a hotel, this could and should all be incorporated into an overall AVL system.
Before anyone suggests replacing your switcher, make sure that it holds HDCP compliance internally.  Some cheaper switchers can cause delay between switching HDMI inputs, as the HDCP has to 'resync' with the input device before it will output video.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 09:58:53 PM by Jonathan Kok »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 09:49:34 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.