ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: PA system 500-800 people  (Read 10983 times)

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
Re: PA system 500-800 people
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 06:55:37 AM »

Michael

The PL6 will be fine for amplification. Results of Bink's amp shoot out are below:

Model
QSC   PL 6.0 II
1k      20-20k  20Hz 1kHz   20kHz   20Hz   1kHz   20kHz  Noise at idle, in dBr
2200w 2050w 1719w 1893w 3241w   1289w 1723w 2853w -76.926   
Notes:
Sweet! Gentle limiting on mids and clean plateau on HF. Sagging AC power a non-issue.

If you search for Binks Amp Shootout youll find the xls.

I have been using QRx212/75 for several years, as has Lynx Audio down the road ( we cross rent ) and they are fine speakers for what you are describing. Their sensitivity is greater than the SRX series therefore will use less power ( both amps and AC draw) to reach the same SPL. You may save yourself some $ as 4 will only gain you coverage, not necessarily a louder show. You can pair any sub with them, but I would recommend 2X the subs ( or more) per mains, as the 212s are very clear and get very loud.

I bi-amp mine with QRX amps( not PL6, they are on the subs) but you may be please with them passive just as well, I was.

Best,
Mike

+1 . Really good sounding boxes. +1 on the JBL subs

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 12:42:36 PM »

I bi-amp mine with QRX amps( not PL6, they are on the subs) but you may be please with them passive just as well, I was.

Best,
Mike
QSC amps...

I also use a PL6 on the subs. Great amp for that use.
I use PLX3402s and PLX1602s on my QRX212s. It is a good match.
Often I use only one pair but if the venue is wide (or outside) I splay 2 per side. If the room is narrow and I need more than one pair I use the "dual PA" approach.

You will like those speakers. I know you wanted more choices but the message you should be getting is that we think you have made a good choice already. But, if you want another choice, consider the JBL SRX722 which is similar to the QRX212 and a little lighter but doesn't have the asymetric horn.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Michael Gorecki

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 06:56:22 PM »

Well I guess this is where my focus is then and trying to find out which subs to get. I really like the size of the subs I just want something that I can grow into as well. I feel like the QRX are only for the QRX rig. and I like to at least stay in the family. Maybe I'll just get some Xsubs.  :P

Thanks for the insight, If anybody comes up with something that they think is a better fit or an equivalent option, feel free to share.

-Michael-

Michael Storey

• San Jose, CA
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 04:59:49 AM »

Well I guess this is where my focus is then and trying to find out which subs to get. I really like the size of the subs I just want something that I can grow into as well. I feel like the QRX are only for the QRX rig. and I like to at least stay in the family. Maybe I'll just get some Xsubs.  :P

Thanks for the insight, If anybody comes up with something that they think is a better fit or an equivalent option, feel free to share.

-Michael-

FWIW, I've heard a QRX rig which consisted of the same models/qty of boxes you're interested in and I recall being thoroughly impressed. The subs didn't seem to play as deep as my SRX 728's but they were nice and punchy, on a PL 236. The tops we're screaming via a PLX 3402. They are very efficient loudspeakers. SRX wouldn't have the same "get up and go" on similar power, that's for sure.

I'd say the QRX is the sub for you considering your program material (rock), the amplification you have available and your desire to keep it in the family, so to speak.

I'm also confident you can hang them all off of your two PL6.0II's @2ohm's a side and be pretty happy.

Hope you can find a system to listen to.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 04:59:49 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 26 queries.