ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Furman PS8RII Power Sequencer is useless!  (Read 11799 times)

Scott Hibbard

Re: Furman PS8RII Power Sequencer is useless!
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 10:58:58 PM »

Scott - I have to echo the SAME thing! I just put one in a school last weekend and came across the same issue.  I normally use the 20amp pro unit with a key, but that was not required for this install which had to be very budget conscious.  I labled the hell out of the unit (not shown here) and hopefully no one will touch it.  I am considering cutting a 1u space security cover and placing it over the "big red" touch me switch.  Argh!

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 08:48:57 AM »

Scott - I have to echo the SAME thing! I just put one in a school last weekend and came across the same issue.  I normally use the 20amp pro unit with a key, but that was not required for this install which had to be very budget conscious.
Sounds like one of those situations where in retrospect the PRO version may have been justified.  I hate when you do something you don't normally do to try to help a Client and it comes back to bite you.

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 10:55:24 AM »

Sorry guys, I have to rant here.  I just finished an install in a school auditorium where I used a Furman sequencer for the amp rack.  It is set to turn on the sources first, then the processor, then the two amps.  It works great, except when you switch the big ILLUMINATED red switch that says 'Power' you effectively cut the mains to the whole unit, which kills power to everything without sequencing it off!  Furman claims this unit to be 'foolproof' in their literature!  But who in their right mind would NOT switch off the big illuminated button when they're ready to turn everything off?

I called Furman tech support thinking I must be doing something wrong, SURELY they wouldn't incorporate such an illogical design into this unit, right?  Wrong.  The rep on the phone says this design has plagued them for 5 years, and the engineer who added the switch is no longer with the company.  The only solution at this point is to buy the next model up which is twice as expensive, but doesn't have the switch.  He suggested that I 'train' the client not to turn off the big red switch, but instead use the little black switch inconspicuously labeled 'Sequence'.  I said 'If I wanted to train the client I would just train them to turn it off in the proper order and not waste time with your damn sequencer!'  What a waste of time and money this thing was!

Suggestion: Move the sequencer to back of rack (facing rear, on rear rack rails). Then mount a momentary switch (keyed or not) to blank front panel, labelled "POWER ON/OFF", wired to remote terminal block of sequencer. Tell user staff, "This switch turns everything on and off."
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 09:50:54 PM »

Also be nice if they'd come to an agreement on 'normal open' vs 'normal closed'.  Had a Middle Atlantic RLM-15-1C go down, went to replace it with a Furman MP-15 I had in stock...nuh-uh.
Integrating 'Status' outputs on each sequenced step in units like the P8Pro would be too much to ask...

i've found the other way around, -Just replace all the "problem" Furman stuff with Middle Atlantic. (too many Furman failures have taught me that)
AND just put the sequence controller somewhere not accessible and only provide a keyswitch for customer access (There's rear rails on most install racks for a reason.)
In dire situations customers can manually switch off the amps as the DSP's I install usually don't have power switches -and an upstream manual mixer shutdown "explosion" will still be limited by it.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 09:50:54 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.