ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless Mic NOISE!!  (Read 11202 times)

Jacob Robinson

Wireless Mic NOISE!!
« on: January 30, 2012, 12:34:13 PM »

I am not sure of the exact model (please forgive me) but we have a several year old Sennheiser handheld wireless microphone, I believe it may be an EW145, I will edit this when I find out.

On to the problem, that does not happen consistently so it is very hard to track down the problem but here is what happens.

Every now and then I get a GREAT roaring blast out of our PA, sounds like the sound that comes out of a pink noise generator or something similar.  It is an incredibly strong signal that sends the meters full red and it is incredibly loud!  This happens maybe once a month, sometimes when no one is even near the board.  The reason that I have narrowed it down to the Sennheiser is because that is the channel where the clip lights light up.  The sound does not go away unless I kill all the AUX and main faders or power off the mic receiver.  The only thing that is consistent with the problem is that the transmitter is never turned on when it occurs just the receiver.  I have an ancient Peavey board with no mutes on it, so I keep the fader down, but it still blasts through the AUXs.  Is this an interference problem?   

Feel free to ask any other questions that may help.  This is a really frustrating problem because it is extremely embarrassing and hard to explain to others.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.

-Jake

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Wireless Mic NOISE!!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 12:42:36 PM »

I am not sure of the exact model (please forgive me) but we have a several year old Sennheiser handheld wireless microphone, I believe it may be an EW145, I will edit this when I find out.

On to the problem, that does not happen consistently so it is very hard to track down the problem but here is what happens.

Every now and then I get a GREAT roaring blast out of our PA, sounds like the sound that comes out of a pink noise generator or something similar.  It is an incredibly strong signal that sends the meters full red and it is incredibly loud!  This happens maybe once a month, sometimes when no one is even near the board.  The reason that I have narrowed it down to the Sennheiser is because that is the channel where the clip lights light up.  The sound does not go away unless I kill all the AUX and main faders or power off the mic receiver.  The only thing that is consistent with the problem is that the transmitter is never turned on when it occurs just the receiver.  I have an ancient Peavey board with no mutes on it, so I keep the fader down, but it still blasts through the AUXs.  Is this an interference problem?   

Feel free to ask any other questions that may help.  This is a really frustrating problem because it is extremely embarrassing and hard to explain to others.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.

-Jake
Whenever the transmitter is turned off the receiver is open to receive any RF signal it can. The channel audio should be muted when the receiver is off.

Mac

Nick Bair

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 12:52:59 PM »

Have you tried switching channels to determine if it's the receiver or the channel it's plugged into? It might be time to cash in that old Peavey.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Jacob Robinson

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 12:59:15 PM »

Have you tried switching channels to determine if it's the receiver or the channel it's plugged into? It might be time to cash in that old Peavey.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

I think I have tried that in the past, but can't remember, with it happening so infrequently it is hard to tell.
And Yes, it is time to cash in the old Peavey, having to working PFL buttons or headphone output makes it almost impossible to mix monitors!!  Hopefully the proposed Presonus StudioLive 24.4.2 is approved and will be on its way soon.

Whenever the transmitter is turned off the receiver is open to receive any RF signal it can. The channel audio should be muted when the receiver is off.

Mac

So I need to make sure the receiver is off when the transmitter is off?  I have another AT wireless mic where the receiver stays on all the time and never get this problem.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 01:02:58 PM »

Mac is correct.  More directly put it's not the gear, it's operator error.  Read the manual.

Edit:

Regarding turning both the receiver and transmitter off:

Mac explained it to you.  Simply mute the channel of the wireless microphone when not in use.  You can leave the receiver on.  With the channel muted, no noise will be passed to the system.  If you turn the receiver off and on there will be an undesirable time lag in re-establishing contact between the transmitter and receiver upon powering up.

Again.......read the manual.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 01:06:15 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Thomas Harkin

• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 01:08:51 PM »

So I need to make sure the receiver is off when the transmitter is off?  I have another AT wireless mic where the receiver stays on all the time and never get this problem.

No, you mute the channel on the mixer whenever the transmitter is off.

Jacob Robinson

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 01:11:16 PM »

No, you mute the channel on the mixer whenever the transmitter is off.

Ok, in my case the gain knob is my mute button :(

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 01:15:18 PM »

Low end Sennheisers are famous for squelch issues.  There's a setting in the receiver for squelch - something like low, medim, high.  Turn it up a notch and this will likely help.  There may be sound quality compromises though - listen to it in that setting to make sure it's not a bad compromise.

As other responders have said, channels not in use should be off.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 01:31:27 PM »

Try using the fader rather than the input gain.  Or does you "board" have rotary pots instead of faders?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jacob Robinson

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 02:57:47 PM »

Try using the fader rather than the input gain.  Or does you "board" have rotary pots instead of faders?

I do keep the fader down, but that doesn't keep the signal out of the two monitors mixes, so instead of turning a fader and two knobs down, I think it's easier to just kill the gain.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 02:57:47 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.