ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any of you out there play this kind of music?  (Read 5118 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Any of you out there play this kind of music?
« on: January 29, 2012, 08:31:51 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh4f9t1bryc&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

One of my favorite Swede/Finn groups.  I don't know if it's an early attack of Spring Fever or what with the mild winter we've had, but after 11 years of not playing anything save the 2-row diatonic button accordion, I sat down today and put this into the repertoire.   Dug out and dusted off both the fiddle and the big 120 bass accordion.

This is the good stuff........   
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
Re: Any of you out there play this kind of music?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 08:47:32 PM »

One of my favorite Swede/Finn groups.  I don't know if it's an early attack of Spring Fever or what with the mild winter we've had, but after 11 years of not playing anything save the 2-row diatonic button accordion, I sat down today and put this into the repertoire.   Dug out and dusted off both the fiddle and the big 120 bass accordion.

Thanks Dick,

Nice relaxing background music..

Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 08:27:47 AM »

Nice...good recording as well

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 10:58:48 PM »

That's really interesting - Thanks!

Hanno Meingast

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 01:31:28 AM »

yes, and a member of our group plays a tune he claims he learned from you when you played on prairie home.  our instrumentation is a bit more traditional.

i looked at another video of them playing, and the guy was playing this weird wooden box wind instrument, like a giant wooden sax:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IBdzPlu4i4&feature=related

hanno

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 09:24:22 AM »

yes, and a member of our group plays a tune he claims he learned from you when you played on prairie home.  our instrumentation is a bit more traditional.

i looked at another video of them playing, and the guy was playing this weird wooden box wind instrument, like a giant wooden sax:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IBdzPlu4i4&feature=related

hanno

Hanno.....

That's a sort of home-brew contra-bass recorder.  There are all sorts of interesting old instruments in Scandinavia and other regions where intrepid folk of limited financial resources made folk clones of more sophisticated instruments.  One place in particular that if found fascinating was a sort of "museum" in the house of an old fellow in Småland who madesome very imaginative one-of-a-kind wind and string instruments based on hurdy-gurdy, zither, guitar, psaltery, etc. 

One of my favorites is the large PVC "seljefløjt" initially popularized by Hedningarna.

Where are you located and what tune did your friend learn?  I'm guessing it was the Norwegian bridal tune by Helene Høye and Mari Eggen.  I got a flood of requests for sheet music on that one......

Edit:

I love at the end of the Gjallarhorn video where they pan out and you can see that the Neumann vocal mic Jenny uses is being broadcast to the room through EON's......

« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 09:41:33 AM by dick rees »

Hanno Meingast

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 12:40:05 AM »

Hanno.....

That's a sort of home-brew contra-bass recorder.  There are all sorts of interesting old instruments in Scandinavia and other regions where intrepid folk of limited financial resources made folk clones of more sophisticated instruments.  One place in particular that if found fascinating was a sort of "museum" in the house of an old fellow in Småland who madesome very imaginative one-of-a-kind wind and string instruments based on hurdy-gurdy, zither, guitar, psaltery, etc. 

One of my favorites is the large PVC "seljefløjt" initially popularized by Hedningarna.

Where are you located and what tune did your friend learn?  I'm guessing it was the Norwegian bridal tune by Helene Høye and Mari Eggen.  I got a flood of requests for sheet music on that one......

Edit:

I love at the end of the Gjallarhorn video where they pan out and you can see that the Neumann vocal mic Jenny uses is being broadcast to the room through EON's......

Dick,
I'm  in East Lansing, Michigan.  The tune my friend learned is "Tegelbruksteppen".
Is that the correct spelling?  what does that mean?

Bruce Sagan is a professor at MSU, and for a time actually lived here.  we used to play with him for a number of years until he moved away :(

One of the other things I noted in that video is the dual mic setup on the viola, on both sides of the bridge.

Better to have good mics and cheap speakers than the opposite

Hanno

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 11:58:16 AM »

Dick,
I'm  in East Lansing, Michigan.  The tune my friend learned is "Tegelbruksteppen".
Is that the correct spelling?  what does that mean?

That's a great polka and you have the spelling correct.  "Tegel" is "tile"....as in roof tiles.   "Bruk" is a factory and "stepp(en) is "step" or "dance".  So it's the "tile-factory dance"......as far as I know.

Bruce Sagan is a professor at MSU, and for a time actually lived here.  we used to play with him for a number of years until he moved away :(

Bruce is a phenomenal musician.....and I presume a great mathematician as well.  I didn't know he had moved.

One of the other things I noted in that video is the dual mic setup on the viola, on both sides of the bridge.

Better to have good mics and cheap speakers than the opposite

Hanno

I presume anyone using dual mics is doing it for tonal balance they were unable to achieve with a single mic.  I've seen my friend Mats Eden use two mics on occasion.

Thanks for the reply and enjoy the music.  If you're ever in the Twin Cities give me a shout.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 11:58:16 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.