ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to measure output of power amp  (Read 4406 times)

Greg g. Pierce

How to measure output of power amp
« on: January 29, 2012, 08:28:22 AM »

I have two crown xls802 amps, one is noticeably louder that the other. My only means of testing so far has been to check all inputs/outputs, etc, then switched the speaker cables on the two amps, and one amp is apparently putting out less than the other. This amp was recently worked on, still under warranty, I never noticed until now that it's this way. Is there a way of measuring the out put. I probably don't have the required meter unless an ohm meter will work somehow. Just wanted a concrete answer for myself and the repair shop before I call them back. I was told the output (something) cant remember now, was blown and replaced.

Thanks

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: How to measure output of power amp
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 09:18:35 AM »

I have two crown xls802 amps, one is noticeably louder that the other. My only means of testing so far has been to check all inputs/outputs, etc, then switched the speaker cables on the two amps, and one amp is apparently putting out less than the other. This amp was recently worked on, still under warranty, I never noticed until now that it's this way. Is there a way of measuring the out put. I probably don't have the required meter unless an ohm meter will work somehow. Just wanted a concrete answer for myself and the repair shop before I call them back. I was told the output (something) cant remember now, was blown and replaced.

Thanks
There is "proper measuring" and then there is comparitive measuring.

You can do a comparitive measurement by simply using a sine wave as an input. Turn the amp levels all the way up.

Use you VOM on the AC scale and turn up the signal (not using the amps controls-but on a mixer/preamp etc) untill you get say 20V on the output.

Now move everything (without touching any gain controls) and measure the other amp output.  It should read the same.

I don't know about that model of Crown, but many Crowns have a selectable gain switch on the back-or under a cover or inside etc.  Make sure these are both the same.  that would be my first suspicion of the difference in output.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 11:07:53 PM »

Thanks
Output Transistor/s?  Recently having it worked on is your first clue.  Take the measurements as suggested by Ivan
and then send it back for ajustment/repair.    Did crown do the waranty work or a third party?   They might have replaced
the blown output transistor/s and did not address the other components that are out of tolerence and causing a bias issue.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 08:12:30 AM »

Thanks

Did you try swapping the inputs too?

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 08:12:30 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.