ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: building a pair of dual 3015lf OR LAB15 DR boxes to replace pair of NEXO RS subs  (Read 16052 times)

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...

any other budget drivers.... say less than 300 total that will get me within Nexo range?

What do you think?  You want Nexo performance?  You've been given the information.  They don't use cheap woofers, nor do any of their competitors.

John

Sean Hennessey

well the 15TBW100 isnt too far off my 300 dollar mark...  I can only find one seemingly legit online retailer of it thus far so thats all I have to go on.

i have found another source that has the 15SW100 for even less than 300... which is kind of baffling to me givin its a neo driver :/  any thoughts one where I should be shopping for this kind of thing?   

just trying to budget things out before I pick one and dive into winisd.  again, I WOULD use either a tapped or FLH design.  not my money, not my call.  given he's still got the nexo amp, I guess he figures he has the power to spare.

(heres a link to the skeptical link http://www.celectronicusa.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_9&products_id=55)

Jon C Thomas

well the 15TBW100 isnt too far off my 300 dollar mark...  I can only find one seemingly legit online retailer of it thus far so thats all I have to go on.

i have found another source that has the 15SW100 for even less than 300... which is kind of baffling to me givin its a neo driver :/  any thoughts one where I should be shopping for this kind of thing?   

just trying to budget things out before I pick one and dive into winisd.  again, I WOULD use either a tapped or FLH design.  not my money, not my call.  given he's still got the nexo amp, I guess he figures he has the power to spare.
(heres a link to the skeptical link http://www.celectronicusa.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_9&products_id=55)
Long thread at DIYaudio on that re-seller. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/231287-b-c-dealer-prices-too-good-true-12.html

I was looking at the 18"SW100 when it was on sale by them for $300 but decided to stick with my old Kappalite boxes as they fit into my vehicle. :)
 I think the Labs would be a fine replacement for the Nexo boxes, Eminence probably makes the drivers in them.

Sean Hennessey

I did notice that thread.  it ends with some broken up responses from "celectronicsUSA" themselves suppossedly.  it still left me very much in the dark though.

god their prices are too good to be true.

Sean Hennessey

http://nexo-sa.com/attachments/products/28/rs15-spare-parts.pdf

alright guys,  looking at the exploded view of the RS15, I would say that the only choices for the RS15 are the BC 15NDL76 OR 15NW76, considering the frame type, and magnet shape.   I BELIEVE its the BC NW76 considering the ring in the nexo drawing.

Kind of surprising considering the only 8 mm xmax imo.  guess I'll drag out winisd and get to designing a box around the nexo dimensions and see if anything close to their specs pops out.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA

http://nexo-sa.com/attachments/products/28/rs15-spare-parts.pdf

alright guys,  looking at the exploded view of the RS15, I would say that the only choices for the RS15 are the BC 15NDL76 OR 15NW76, considering the frame type, and magnet shape.   I BELIEVE its the BC NW76 considering the ring in the nexo drawing.

To me-it looks like a normal ported box with lots of room inside for just just about any driver (assuming mounting bolt diameter, T/S parameters etc will work).

What makes you think there is something "special" about the size/shape?  Maybe I am missing something.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Sean Hennessey

nothing special Ivan, the client just wants what they want, and what they really want are 2 more nexos, but they dont have the funds.... they also never make use of the directional mode.

I've too many hours on the internet, and need a project...  They spent 2 years with their nexo ray subs powered off the nexo controller... and paid dearly for them, so lets see what something homebrewed can do.

I'm not to the point where I can indulge many projects out of my own wallet, so any chance to undertake a clear task with set goals and budget is a valuable learning experience to me (I'm a young guy lol).  To you, it may be anothe ported box to build,  to me its "A ported box!" with a clear idea of the end goal.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA

nothing special Ivan, the client just wants what they want, and what they really want are 2 more nexos, but they dont have the funds.... they also never make use of the directional mode.

The reason I asked was that you said that there were only 2 options-and I was wondering how that came about.

I hope you realize that selling a 'copy" box is illegal?

It is one thing to copy a box for your own usage-but when you sell it-that is when the legal issues start-  You are profiting from somebody elses work/design.

just something to consider-----------------------------------------------------------
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Sean Hennessey

Thanks Ivan.  surely its not illegal to purchase readily available BC drivers and put them inside a ported box of similar size though?  I'm dedicated to not finding a nexo 15 and opening it up... that would spoil the point of the exercise.  I found the data sheets online, posted by nexo, and due to pouring over BC catalog for weeks (although this can be reconized in minutes) have recognized the frame shape and magnet assembly, which gives me a starting point, and actually a good idea of what I can do differently (alternative drivers etc). 

furthermore, I dont plan on buying the drivers, wood, hardware or finish myself.  Thats up to the person looking for the boxes(although I will make recommendations based on the research I'm doing right now).  Past that, pay me for physical labor, a little bit more than what I'd be making flipping hamburgers (definitely not going to charge a "design" fee, that would be laughable considering i'm doing very little work with a cheap program like Eminence designer or winisd), and we're done.  If they need something reconed later, I'll gladly do it for a labor fee as well.

Most of the magic in the nexo box comes from their controller, and ability to provide cardiod response out of a single box, right out of the box.  the people in question plan to use them in the same way one would use an "ordinary" vented box, and not take advantage of that functionality at all.   In the end this will not be a RS15, it will lack those cardiod features.  It will likely have *similar* response and power handling, but undoubtably I'll be missing the last 5 to 10% that makes the RaySub what it is, just as the DIY TH118 lacks the magic 5 to 10% (to 20 to 30 %... ) that makes the DSL TH118 what it is... and there is a lot more that goes into that tapped horn than what goes into a vented box with fancy vents (but the people over on that side still did well starting with nothing but outer dimensions and a picture of a driver). 

bottom line,  payed for making sawdust.  any research, modelling, emailing, message posting, phone calling, butt scratching that I do other than that is something to fill the hours in my day... however useful some of it is in producing the final product.  I refuse to look inside a nexo box... I wont stoop that low.  I will however look at the outside (and that bonus peak at the driver drawing, however accurate it was saved me from telling them to blow their budget and get sw115s at their near $550 retail price). 

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 25 queries.