ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: building a pair of dual 3015lf OR LAB15 DR boxes to replace pair of NEXO RS subs  (Read 16054 times)

Sean Hennessey

hey guys,  friend of mine recently had to sell his pair of Nexo RS subs due to financial reasons.  He has 4 lab 15s on hand, I have 4 3015lfs on hand.  we're trying to think of a suitable box design to fill the workload of the 2 nexo RS subs that are now missing.  not concerned with sub 40hz response, or the interesting omni/directional settings of the nexo subs (however, he does still have this piece of gear  http://www.yamahacommercialaudiosystems.com/downloads/manuals/speakers/nexo/nxamp4x1_manual.pdf).

We considered 4x bfm T48s, but due to the venue size and previous subwoofer placement,  it would be hard to load 4x t48 into the space,  so we are looking for ported DR designs that are NO taller than the nexo subs 18" height (could maybe go as tall as 20 inches).  Depth really isnt an issue,  width should be somewhat within range.  I dont know if its actually possible to get nexo level performance out of a 2x3015lf box of same or smaller size, so I expect there will be a slight increase in boxsize (nexo is ~9 cubic feet,  i'd be fine with a 10-11 cubic foot box.   

does anyone have any thoughts as to what eminence driver we should use, and what box to pair it with?  We can still power it with the nexo amplifer (4x900w at 4 ohm),  and i'm fine with a steep hp at 40 or lower.

Dag Johansen

Take a look at my take on a compact high output subwoofer based on Eminence Lab-15: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/190909-40hz-th-5.html#post2817488

It put out a impressive amount of dynamic deep bass.

Dag

Sean Hennessey

tapped horn variants do offer great sensitivity, but it doesnt work with my space parameters really..   Kind of just looking for DR, as I dont want to deal with delay compensating anything.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA

tapped horn variants do offer great sensitivity, but it doesnt work with my space parameters really..   Kind of just looking for DR, as I dont want to deal with delay compensating anything.
Delay will be necessary no matter what form factor the sub uses.  The type of box makes no difference in the need, only the amount.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Sean Hennessey

it also appears that KappaLite 3015LF Subwoofer Design by jerry mcnutt on this page (http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Kappalite_3015LF_cab.pdf) offers just about everything i need in a 6.6 ft^3 per driver enclosure.   should push about 135 peak db in a stack of 4 (or 2 13 cubic foot dual 15 enlosures).  I dunno what the width on that TH was,  scanned through the thread a bit,  but I was figuring it to be about an 8.5 cubic foot per enclosure box?   9 ft^3 to 16ft^3 is a bit of a jump for me to maintain sensitivity and max spl, esp since TH wont be getting the added benefit of increased mouth size in a stack like a true horn afaik?

Dag Johansen

it also appears that KappaLite 3015LF Subwoofer Design by jerry mcnutt on this page (http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Kappalite_3015LF_cab.pdf) offers just about everything i need in a 6.6 ft^3 per driver enclosure.   should push about 135 peak db in a stack of 4 (or 2 13 cubic foot dual 15 enlosures).  I dunno what the width on that TH was,  scanned through the thread a bit,  but I was figuring it to be about an 8.5 cubic foot per enclosure box?   9 ft^3 to 16ft^3 is a bit of a jump for me to maintain sensitivity and max spl, esp since TH wont be getting the added benefit of increased mouth size in a stack like a true horn afaik?

If you dont need loud 40Hz extention i would go for the 3015LF in reflexboxes, but its not really comparable to the LAB-15 in TH soundvice.
I have tried both (a bit smaller reflexbox thou) and if you need strong deep bass the TH is a killer.
Keep in mind that building TH's require allmost double materials, a lot more time and it will be more heavy to drag around.

Dag

Sean Hennessey

the build is for a permanent install, so I couldnt care less how difficult they are to carry around ( I carry my T48s up and down the flight of stairs up to the venue as is right now).  The more important part for this install is just finding a box to fit in the little cubby holes under the stage where the nexos sat.

Sean Hennessey

hey guys, ,gonna give this a quick bump.  Still looking for a dual 15 Direct radiator sub to match the output and sensitivity of the Nexo RS15s.   I'm open to other driver suggestions as well.

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...

hey guys, ,gonna give this a quick bump.  Still looking for a dual 15 Direct radiator sub to match the output and sensitivity of the Nexo RS15s.   I'm open to other driver suggestions as well.

Based on thread info, you've got a space that could fit a cabinet that's 42.25" wide by 20" high, by "depth isn't an issue".

I would ask Dag(nicely, and offer beer) if he could layout his horn design in the space you have available.  I'm pretty sure that's by far the best bang for the buck going if a similar design can be built to you space specifications.

It's for an installation, so you could even get away with using MDF as opposed to Baltic Birch if you had to.

Otherwise, if you still think dual vented 15" designs are the way to go, you will have to buy into some of the uber 15" drivers on the market similar to what Nexo use in the first place.  You could use ferrite magnet versions since it is an install and weight isn't an issue, possibly saving some money.  Something like the B&C 15TBW100.  Otherwise the big neo 15" from B&C, the 15SW115 or 15SW100.

Nothing against the Emminence driver at all, it's a nice 15" for what it is.

Also, if you can fit a 20" high cabinet into the slot, you might be able to use 18" drivers.  One way would be to build a slanted front baffle to gain that small amount of dimension to fit the outer diameter of the driver.

Best regards,

John

Sean Hennessey

any other budget drivers.... say less than 300 total that will get me within Nexo range?

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.