ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Use logic control: Shure MX series and ClearOne Converge pro  (Read 5786 times)

Paul Lipp

• SR Forums
  • around here since 2007
Use logic control: Shure MX series and ClearOne Converge pro
« on: January 27, 2012, 10:52:46 AM »

Ok, I have never used logic controls with microphones like this, so I want to ask opinions from others who have done this.

First off, I have multiple Shure MX-393 microphones, which currently just connect to multiple clearOne converge pro 880t and 880i. The clearone units then connect to an AMX control system, which controls them.

What the constomer wants is to be able to mute/un-mute the microphones both locally and remotely.
What I want to do is re-run 6 conductor wire to each mic, and then at the clearones just terminate the audio as usual through euroblock and then make a db25 connector for groups of 8 microphones for status/control/ground. And then add the additional programming to both the clearones and AMX.

What my questions are:
First off, am I missing anything?
Secondly, how do I connect the control wires at the microphone? What is the best practice for doing this, I don't have one of these microphones lying around and the job site is about 1500 miles away locked inside a secure facility.
My thought was to hardwire a 6pin XLR to the microphone to the microphone and a 6pin connector at the wall/floor jack, while keeping the 3pin XLR's and possibly wiring in parallel to preserver their functionality if the 6pin connections are not used.

Am I missing anything here.
Any advice is welcome!

V/R,
Paul

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: Use logic control: Shure MX series and ClearOne Converge pro
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 08:27:16 AM »

I just did something very similar on a project, although using the MX412D gooseneck mics and Biamp Audia.  I ran the control to the AMX and let it then control the Biamp as I thought it would be easier to program and modify the associated control and logic within the AMX, especially as it was on a campus that has all their AMX systems networked together for remote support and maintenance.

Since I had multiple mics at the table I had 6 pin connectors at the tabletop that then went to multipin connectors in the floor boxes, one multipin for audio and one for control.  That allowed using multipair cable from those connectors to the Audia and the AMX NI.

Robert Sims

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 11:55:05 PM »

Ok, I have never used logic controls with microphones like this, so I want to ask opinions from others who have done this.

First off, I have multiple Shure MX-393 microphones, which currently just connect to multiple clearOne converge pro 880t and 880i. The clearone units then connect to an AMX control system, which controls them.

What the constomer wants is to be able to mute/un-mute the microphones both locally and remotely.
What I want to do is re-run 6 conductor wire to each mic, and then at the clearones just terminate the audio as usual through euroblock and then make a db25 connector for groups of 8 microphones for status/control/ground. And then add the additional programming to both the clearones and AMX.

What my questions are:
First off, am I missing anything?
Secondly, how do I connect the control wires at the microphone? What is the best practice for doing this, I don't have one of these microphones lying around and the job site is about 1500 miles away locked inside a secure facility.
My thought was to hardwire a 6pin XLR to the microphone to the microphone and a 6pin connector at the wall/floor jack, while keeping the 3pin XLR's and possibly wiring in parallel to preserver their functionality if the 6pin connections are not used.

Paul,
The MX-393 does not appear to have the logic connections, it's only has the small 3pin mini at the mic end. The MX-392 is hard wired and the wire includes the logic cables already landed at the mic end. I would use multi pin XLR to connect the mic at the table, then at some point land the wiring on a block or din rail and route cables to the devices as you need. (You could make a splitter and Y out the audio and control). The method of control sounds correct, maintaining a physical tie to the clear one logic prevents the system from losing all mute functions if the AMX control goes down. Not sure if the clear one will send a mute receive acknoledgement from the serial port back to the AMX, you may have to parallel your I/O's to make it all work. I'd pull the status from the clear one if it'll let you.
Robert

I am not young enough to know everything.
Oscar Wilde

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 06:53:29 AM »

The method of control sounds correct, maintaining a physical tie to the clear one logic prevents the system from losing all mute functions if the AMX control goes down. Not sure if the clear one will send a mute receive acknoledgement from the serial port back to the AMX, you may have to parallel your I/O's to make it all work. I'd pull the status from the clear one if it'll let you.
I believe that the ClearOne will send channel and group mute status, but for the installation I referenced the AMX was also controlling other related functions such that if there was a major problem with the AMX system then it would be impractical to use the conferencing system anyways.  I think you need to look at the situation to decide whether the logic going to the control system or to the processor makes the most sense for that particular application.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 06:53:29 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.