ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: No idea what to buy...  (Read 7403 times)

Chris Chambers

• Melbourne, Australia
    • MAD Productions
No idea what to buy...
« on: January 26, 2012, 08:12:10 PM »

Hi,

When it comes to sound I have a pretty good idea as to what is complete crap or just won't work for the job however i can't say the same for lighting. I'm in need of some lights that will be used weekly for live bands. The other 2 guys who i work with have split opinions. Mark uses 8 PAR56's, 4 on each side on T bars plugged straight into the wall and the other guy, Bruce uses 8 LED PARS, 4 a side DMX'd.

Mark says that the LED's just aren't bright enough but i haven't noticed this because the 3 times i've used them have all been at the same venue in which the band is pushed into a corner of a small room 50'x50'??

So what do you guys use for live bands? analog par56's, LED's or something completely different..

Rob Dellwood

Re: No idea what to buy...
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 08:28:44 PM »

Hi,

When it comes to sound I have a pretty good idea as to what is complete crap or just won't work for the job however i can't say the same for lighting. I'm in need of some lights that will be used weekly for live bands. The other 2 guys who i work with have split opinions. Mark uses 8 PAR56's, 4 on each side on T bars plugged straight into the wall and the other guy, Bruce uses 8 LED PARS, 4 a side DMX'd.

Mark says that the LED's just aren't bright enough but i haven't noticed this because the 3 times i've used them have all been at the same venue in which the band is pushed into a corner of a small room 50'x50'??

So what do you guys use for live bands? analog par56's, LED's or something completely different..

I think it may depend on what is the purpose of the lighting?  Is is just to light up the band, and not be part of a light 'show'?  If the Par 56s are just 'plugged into the wall', that implies all those lights are just 'on' with no scene changes, unless I'm misreading your post. 

If you plan on having the lights be more 'active' and actually part of a light show, I would go with the LEDs. LEDs using DMX can change colors, run to audio, fade, strobe, and do things standard Pars cannot do.  Assuming the LEDs are at least 1watt bulbs, they should be bright enough to do what you're looking to do.  Again, it would depend on what you expect out of your lighting.  Let us know how it works out! 

Chris Chambers

• Melbourne, Australia
    • MAD Productions
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 08:58:13 PM »

For the band i'm just looking at something very easy to setup and use. It will probably be on all the time...

duane massey

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 09:12:02 PM »

Unless you want the cheapest solution to "lights on the band", go for LED's, for many reasons. No heat, no lamps to replace, very little current draw, endless array of colors, easy to expand, light-weight, and will park the truck.

What's your budget?
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Chris Chambers

• Melbourne, Australia
    • MAD Productions
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 09:31:56 PM »

Unless you want the cheapest solution to "lights on the band", go for LED's, for many reasons. No heat, no lamps to replace, very little current draw, endless array of colors, easy to expand, light-weight, and will park the truck.

What's your budget?

I've got around $22-26k left out of the budget.. Im planning on also getting 16 PAR64's, 8 fresnels and some other bits and pieces..

Steve (Stevie Ray) Kalbach

• Steve Kalbach
    • Stevie Ray Entertainment
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 09:40:09 PM »

I've got around $22-26k left out of the budget.. Im planning on also getting 16 PAR64's, 8 fresnels and some other bits and pieces..

Chris I may suggest looking at the Blizzard Lighting Rocklite Tri's  Extremely bright (Lux: 25°: 17,040 @ 1m), since you were worried about brightness, and remember if they are too bright, LED's dim nicely, but you can't make a lite that is too dim brighter.

And being tri LED's you get nice smooth color mixing, and no LED shadowing.

At around $350/ea. *16 = $5600, leaves plenty in the budget for some fresnals, and maybe add some heads like the Blizzard Northstar Quantum Pro Quandrant mapped moving head wash, that not only has amazing color mixing.  The patterns you can create give the crowd some visual eye candy.  It is an amazing light.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 09:44:19 PM by Steve (Stevie Ray) Kalbach »
Stephen (Stevie Ray) Kalbach
Owner Stevie Ray Entertainment
http://www.stevierayentertainment.com

Chris Chambers

• Melbourne, Australia
    • MAD Productions
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 10:25:15 PM »

Chris I may suggest looking at the Blizzard Lighting Rocklite Tri's  Extremely bright (Lux: 25°: 17,040 @ 1m), since you were worried about brightness, and remember if they are too bright, LED's dim nicely, but you can't make a lite that is too dim brighter.

And being tri LED's you get nice smooth color mixing, and no LED shadowing.

At around $350/ea. *16 = $5600, leaves plenty in the budget for some fresnals, and maybe add some heads like the Blizzard Northstar Quantum Pro Quandrant mapped moving head wash, that not only has amazing color mixing.  The patterns you can create give the crowd some visual eye candy.  It is an amazing light.
Look and seem pretty good, wonder if i can get them sent to Australia..

Steve (Stevie Ray) Kalbach

• Steve Kalbach
    • Stevie Ray Entertainment
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 10:54:11 PM »

I didn't realize you had an Australian web address.  I am unsure about shipping or distribution to AU.
Stephen (Stevie Ray) Kalbach
Owner Stevie Ray Entertainment
http://www.stevierayentertainment.com

James Feenstra

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 02:17:53 AM »

I'm pretty sure they ship anywhere, although shipping to Aus will be expensive
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Chris Chambers

• Melbourne, Australia
    • MAD Productions
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 09:05:24 PM »

Yeah they do which is great. Their customer service so far has been brilliant, offering a 20% discount plus they are offering to pay shipping which is brilliant :D

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 09:05:24 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.