ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any regrets moving from musician to sound board?  (Read 8750 times)

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Any regrets moving from musician to sound board?
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2012, 12:29:28 PM »

Did you mean "septical"?

One of the big "wardrobe Malfunction" mysteries of life:

Why is it the fatter I have gotten, the harder it is to keep my pants up?
Jay Barracato

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2012, 12:37:40 PM »

One of the big "wardrobe Malfunction" mysteries of life:

Why is it the fatter I have gotten, the harder it is to keep my pants up?

Perhaps some suspenders ?;)
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2012, 01:29:28 PM »

Many of us would claim one is art and the other is not. I will leave it up to the masses to decide which is which.
Jay Barracato

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2012, 02:13:08 PM »

i would prefer she loose the suspenders.

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2012, 08:05:00 AM »

I actually had a pretty good playing career going while in my 20s. Dad was a jazz trumpeter with an arranging background from hell and it wore off on me pretty naturally. I studied, practiced hard and often, co-wrote 100 or so songs, a few getting some attention and a couple won awards, though nothing ever stuck. During all of this, I wound up being the guy with the 50ft guitar cable (before I discovered wireless) for my bass to go out and listen when I (was forced to) mixed from the stage.

One day I got tired of (A) chasing the dream and missing the mark by nanometers and (B) playing "Brown-Eyed Girl" and "Mustang Sally" with a clenched jaw and grinding teeth. I realized that maybe I'd have a career in audio reinforcement and production. I tried recording work, but I just couldn't sit still long enough to be effective at it (and the guy that does doesn't get NEAR enough respect!).
But moving into live audio was a fairly natural move for me. I had been studying up on the basics and the theory anyway, so I just started doing it. And I gotta say, the Original LAB (OLAB, anyone?) was a big part of my discovering just what was going on in pro audio, as MS isn't exactly a mecca of technology. I give Dave Stevens serious kudos for providing that resource (and Doug, Ken, and Mac for being part of that).

Do I miss playing and writing? Yup, I think about it every day. Just part of it, I guess...

Geri O

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
Musician to Sound Board and Back to Musician?
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2012, 11:24:21 AM »

Anybody have lingering regrets giving up performing on stage?

It's a given that if you're a virtuoso on stage all eyes will be on you.  If you're a virtuoso at the FOH desk nobody (except hopefully the talent) knows you exist**.

Sadly, after almost 30 years of schlepping subs and amp racks, my back is telling me it's probably time to pack it in and go back to playing bass (I'm glad I kept the Music Man and Gibsons all these years).

** Flashback to me mixing Clifton Jansky ("Amarillo by Morning") at a church in San Antonio years ago.  The board was isolated in a glassed-in room, with only headphones and a Radio Shack monitor to work with.  Suddenly hundreds of people turned their heads and were glaring at me.  Everything sounded great to me, but all the horns had cut out (eventually traced to an oxidized connection at the crossover), leaving only the 15s...
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

ProSoundWeb Community

Musician to Sound Board and Back to Musician?
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2012, 11:24:21 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.