ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: drum reverb unit  (Read 8106 times)

Brent Gillespie

drum reverb unit
« on: January 25, 2012, 04:24:41 PM »

I've been using an entry level  Digitech Reverb unit  for  snare & toms through the years.  Never having used a really nice unit,  what  general improvements would be perceptible  in a   $500-$700.00  device besides being maybe more user friendly ?  Cheers,  Brent

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: drum reverb unit
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 04:51:06 PM »

I've been using an entry level  Digitech Reverb unit  for  snare & toms through the years.  Never having used a really nice unit,  what  general improvements would be perceptible  in a   $500-$700.00  device besides being maybe more user friendly ?  Cheers,  Brent

I think the higher you go in unit quality the more likely you are to drown in user definable variables. Probably not as user friendly unless you have gobs of soundcheck time or production rehearsal.

Honestly for drums I am perfectly happy with a TC electronic M350.
Jay Barracato

Brent Gillespie

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 05:41:15 PM »

I think the higher you go in unit quality the more likely you are to drown in user definable variables. Probably not as user friendly unless you have gobs of soundcheck time or production rehearsal.

[/quo
Jay, thank you for the repsonse.  What typical settings do you prefer ?  Such as plate, room, hall, etc. ?te]

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 05:54:04 PM »

[/quo
Jay, thank you for the repsonse.  What typical settings do you prefer ?  Such as plate, room, hall, etc. ?te]

You could start by trying the factory presets labeled "Drum Room" or "Drum Ambience."
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 06:04:38 PM »

[/quo

I tend to be a minimalist. I like to set my verbs at the level where you would notice if they were missing but they are not in the forefront of the sound. If I have the channels to put separate effects on each instrument, I tend to use plate reverbs. I also like a variable high pass so I can keep the reverb from adding to any low end mud that might be in the mix. I also tend to chop the eq fairly hard at the higher frequencies. I don't think having the higher frequencies in the reverb sounds very natural.
Jay Barracato

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 06:13:27 PM »

Yamaha SPX900 or SPX1000, Lexicon LXP-15 or PCM60.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 08:43:38 PM »

Brent,

Whatever unit you get should have an adjustable Pre-Delay.  Using Jay's method with a judicious use of pre-delay will lend clarity to both the original sound and the effect itself, self, self, self.....  ;D
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 09:13:42 PM »

There is none finer. Plus I can guarantee you won't get lost in the menus. LOL

Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 10:22:53 PM »

Yamaha SPX900 or SPX1000, Lexicon LXP-15 or PCM60.

Real vintage!  I don't think there's anything in that list less than 20 years old.  8)

Speaking of old, do Lexicon 200s ever show up for sale at affordable prices?  I've used one in studio settings before, and it has quite a user friendly (for me anyway) interface.  Your choice of parameters is basically limited to room size (affects pre-delay and time between echos), reverb time (how "live" the space is), and LF and HF contours.  The parameters all interact, but I found it quite intuitive to get the deisred sound.  I think it's limited in memories and things like MIDI control, but it does the reverb trick.  It also used up 3 rack spaces!

One problem with older Lexicon products is that they are no longer supported by Harman (even things as modern as the PCM-80 and 90), and the one guy who did work on them has retired from the business.  I know the PCM-60 falls into that category, and wouldn't be surprised if many others do.

GTD

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 03:07:10 AM »

Real vintage!  I don't think there's anything in that list less than 20 years old.  8)
GTD

The first "vintage" thing on the list is me. ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 03:07:10 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.