ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaker position help  (Read 3345 times)

adam.brakhane

Speaker position help
« on: January 25, 2012, 10:27:26 AM »

Hey guys,
I'm running sound in a room that is about 140ft by 50ft. In the past, we've use the room longways with our ~30ft stage on the short wall facing out towards an audience of about 300-400. We're looking to switch it up so that the stage is on the long wall so that more people can be closer to the stage. I'm wondering the best way to set up speakers for this. I have 4 I can use: 2 on stands and 2 that must be set on the stage (as well as 2 subs). We have both a live band playing and someone speaking. Is the best way to set this up:
1) two on stage facing out with the ones on stands right next to the stage angled out
2) two on stage facing out with the ones on stands away from the stage also facing out.
I'll just leave the subs where they are to the front left and right of the stage.

Thanks,
-Adam

James A. Griffin

Re: Speaker position help
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 01:05:55 PM »

Hey guys,
I'm running sound in a room that is about 140ft by 50ft. In the past, we've use the room longways with our ~30ft stage on the short wall facing out towards an audience of about 300-400. We're looking to switch it up so that the stage is on the long wall so that more people can be closer to the stage. I'm wondering the best way to set up speakers for this. I have 4 I can use: 2 on stands and 2 that must be set on the stage (as well as 2 subs). We have both a live band playing and someone speaking. Is the best way to set this up:
1) two on stage facing out with the ones on stands right next to the stage angled out
2) two on stage facing out with the ones on stands away from the stage also facing out.
I'll just leave the subs where they are to the front left and right of the stage.

Thanks,
-Adam

Need more info.   Here's a handful of questions that come to mind:

What 4 speakers / subs / amps are available?
Is 30' the depth or width of the stage?   
How many chairs and how positioned in the room?

I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 02:45:50 PM »

We have both a live band playing and someone speaking.

If it's only the speaking portion that needs to reach the whole crowd, put one speaker on a stand against the long wall on each side halfway from the stage towards the short wall, and bring them up only for the speech(es).  Put the other two speakers on the subs on each side of the stage, or however they need to be elevated to cover the crowd near the stage for dancing of listening.  That way you can cover the whole crowd for the speeches without excessive volume near the stage, and people can hold conversations in the corners while the band is playing.

Marcus Wilson

• Mastering and hire.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 09:31:01 PM »

Spacing speakers part way down the wall will reduce speech clarity for many of the audience due to differing arrival time issues.  Your option 1 is best.
rgds, M.

Owned a regional sound company for 30 years.
Now work for Harman importers in New Zealand.
www.jands.co.nz
Do a bit of mastering and hire out some microphones.
Am a highly skilled electronic technician.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 09:40:02 PM »

Spacing speakers part way down the wall will reduce speech clarity for many of the audience due to differing arrival time issues.  Your option 1 is best.

I think it's 6 of one and a half-dozen of the other.  There are pluses and minuses to both set ups.  Good PEQ control is what I consider to be the most important.  That and using speakers with very wide HF so that off-axis voice clarity is at a max.  I prefer EV S200's or similar for such an application.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 09:47:10 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 09:40:02 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.