ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound Bridge loudspeakers  (Read 9929 times)

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
Re: Sound Bridge loudspeakers
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 07:49:04 am »

Friends don't let friends buy off-brands.

That is an unfair and vague generalization. Just because it isnt owned by mackie, or the infamous power drill company, or the big H doesn't mean a piece of equipment doesn't perform.

An off brand, like Bennett's little eastern-bloc boxes, can perform better in the hands of a skilled operator than its comparable on-brand in the hands of a hack.

How much of your purchase money went to marketing vs. R&D? I bet. the off brand has a better ratio.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 09:25:03 am »

That is an unfair and vague generalization. Just because it isnt owned by mackie, or the infamous power drill company, or the big H doesn't mean a piece of equipment doesn't perform.

An off brand, like Bennett's little eastern-bloc boxes, can perform better in the hands of a skilled operator than its comparable on-brand in the hands of a hack.

How much of your purchase money went to marketing vs. R&D? I bet. the off brand has a better ratio.
But it may not be just the product, especially for many churches.  It may also support, availability, service, etc.  Some small or niche manufacturers are great at these aspects as well, others seem to think the  product is all that is needed.

The thing I see with the process described is that it seems to be that of looking at products rather than solutions.  At purchasing the speaker system rather than the result.  Something may be the greatest tool in the world from the greatest manufacturer in the world but that does not necessarily make it the best solution for every application.

There could definitely be more to the story as many manufacturers do offer design assistance but going by what has been stated it seems like there was little or no consideration for the specific application or desired results and that the emphasis was instead on the product.  Did anyone ever document what the goals were for the sound system? Was there any verification that what is proposed supports or meets those goals?  Or was it a situation of focusing on applying a product rather than obtaining a result?

The other aspect is the actual implementation of the proposed system.  Who is providing it, installing it, tuning it, warrantying it, servicing it, etc.?  And who is going to make sure that is done properly and in the best interests of the church?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 10:59:29 am by Brad Weber »

Dave Bigelow

• Louisville, KY when I am actually home...
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 10:44:08 am »

I used one of their rigs in a venue in Dallas (Trees I think), wasn't horrible but then again it was a small room, nothing like what Evan had posted about in the past. Think it was around 6 boxes a side and 4 of the sb1000 rip offs a side.

Would I buy one? probably not. Did it get the job done in a 700ish cap room? Yeah. Is there better out there? Totally.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 01:11:18 pm »

It is tough to be in the speaker biz. Many of SoundBridge's (and other companies in that market range) customers are trying to make a singular improvement that will "silver bullet" fix deficiencies in the whole chain. Results are often unpretty.

In Williamsport PA, I had some new "SB Slice" wedges on a monitor system that simply could not get up to snuff. During my check, everything in the system became suspect: mic wires through NL4 cables. House techs told me tales of unhappy artists who had been through the hall. In their minds, all of the complaining artists "had attitudes". Hmmm. I did not blame SoundBridge.

With local factory support, and use of data from this install, SoundBridge can accelerate product development. Nobody in the USA was looking towards France when V-DOSC appeared.

Go for it SoundBridge!

Aaron Talley

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 11:29:30 pm »

Just saw this and wondered how it turned out.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 11:29:30 pm »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.