ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DIY monitors Smaart  (Read 16710 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: DIY monitors Smaart
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2012, 08:32:53 AM »

Yes, yes, yes.  I made hundreds of SpectraLab/SMAART measurements that turned out to be invalid for the purpose at hand.  After I was able to make consistently valid measurements I had to learn how to translate the display into electronic actions that gave acoustic results appropriate for the purpose at hand.

Then I had to re-learn everything I thought I knew about tuning speaker crossovers.  I'm still learning,
Yes it can often be discourging.

It is NOT a simple thing.  You are totally correct about FIRST-being able to get a VALID measurement.  THEN-and ONLY THEN-can you start to think about what it takes to do something about it.

There are all sorts of various measurement platforms out there-all with their own sets of pluses and minuses.  But they all have one thing in common.  They will NOT tell you the answer-at least directly.  One has to understand what the measurement is telling you-AND understand various aspects of what it takes to "accomplish" a particular action.

It is all a long learning process-and we are all learning and will continue to learn.  We all learn from each other-and hopefully from each others mistakes.  So that in the future others can learn and get a little bit better "head start" than we had-and hopefully "raise the bar" a notch higher.

The tools are available-the teaching/learning is available-but a person has to WANT to do it, take the TIME to do it.

It is NOT a quick easy thing to learn/do. Those looking for a "quick answer" are going to be disappointed once they truly enter the "measurement realm".  But once you enter-you cannot go back.

I really wish than when I was much  younger I knew/had the understanding-that I do now.  So with enough years I could get a better handle on it.

The truly great designers-who have come up with advancements in loudspeaker design/technology-have come across their ideas with LONGGGGG times spent studying-retesting-questioning what this and that means and so forth with what the computer screen is "tellilng/showing" them.

NEVER STOP LEARNING!!!!!
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John Chiara

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2012, 10:40:53 PM »

Yes -10db from my previous setting. I got into chasing my tail on these and had them way to bright. I also took my initial measurements with a behringer measurement mic which I changed to a Beyerdynamic a friend let me borrow for my recent measurements. I knew it sounded bright to me thats why I should have measured before I set the DSP in the amplifiers. Yes I know that is extreme. I knew I had too much comp driver when I heard a friends EAW SM15s at war volume and no feedback and I noticed hmmm not as bright as my cabs and the light bulb came on.

Not a technical reply but a lot of people...performers especially..think that extended high frequency response is desirable in a vocal monitor. Many will make sss sounds during soundcheck thinking that they want to hear that when the show is on. I often explain why deessers were invented. I recently heard properly powered and processed Micro Wedges and I was even surprised how "dark" they sounded when speaking.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2012, 10:40:53 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.