ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for inexpensive wireless microphone system  (Read 25589 times)

David Hoover

Suggestions for inexpensive wireless microphone system
« on: January 23, 2012, 11:11:17 PM »

There have been more and more budget wireless microphone systems coming out and I am wondering what you guys think.  The new Samson wireless microphones actually sparked my curiosity.  I've stayed away from wireless for my personal rig because of the price.  However, if I would be able to buy a reasonably priced headset microphone for speaking purposes, then I'll start looking at my options.  I'm weary of inexpensive wireless systems though.  It seems a lowly priced system would run me $800 dollars or more.  I look at that and think of the 4 awesome new mics I can buy and then think forget it! 

Does anyone use or has anyone used an inexpensive wireless headset system that they liked?  Was it reliable?  I'm talking the $400 and under area of wireless systems.

Jordan Wolf

Re: Suggestions for inexpensive wireless microphone system
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 01:41:11 AM »

I'm talking the $400 and under area of wireless systems...
One of the areas in SR that you really "get what you pay for" is with wireless gear.  As you pay more, you get more frequency agility as well as reliability in RF and physical packaging.

Line6 has some newer digital versions, one of which was reviewed more recentlySennheiser's G3 series is pretty nice for a "lower end" wireless mic.

I can absolutely guarantee that you will regret buying "cheap" wireless the very first time you have a dropout or interference, etc.  Buy something you will never look at and say, "I wish I'd never bought that..."

As far as headset mics go, MicrophoneMadness is held in high regard for it's price/feature ratio.  Countryman makes a number of them and DPA is also well-respected.  If you're looking for a headset for singing in particular, the Crown CM-311A can't be beat for sound quality - it was recently discontinued, but there are surely ones for sale on eBay, etc.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 06:33:57 AM »

There have been more and more budget wireless microphone systems coming out and I am wondering what you guys think.  The new Samson wireless microphones actually sparked my curiosity.  I've stayed away from wireless for my personal rig because of the price.  However, if I would be able to buy a reasonably priced headset microphone for speaking purposes, then I'll start looking at my options.  I'm weary of inexpensive wireless systems though.  It seems a lowly priced system would run me $800 dollars or more.  I look at that and think of the 4 awesome new mics I can buy and then think forget it! 

Does anyone use or has anyone used an inexpensive wireless headset system that they liked?  Was it reliable?  I'm talking the $400 and under area of wireless systems.

At the low end Ive had very good results with the AKG WMS450 series, with both the D5 and C5 capsules. Research the RF in your area before purchasing and select the band with the most free/quiet space.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 08:44:41 AM »

I'm weary of inexpensive wireless systems though.  It seems a lowly priced system would run me $800 dollars or more.  I look at that and think of the 4 awesome new mics I can buy and then think forget it!
Exactly!  One buy one cheap wireless if you could purchase four decent wired mics?  Seems you'd have to have a pretty good justification for needing wireless, in which case it probably also justifies buying a decent wireless system.

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 10:13:09 AM »

Exactly!  One buy one cheap wireless if you could purchase four decent wired mics?  Seems you'd have to have a pretty good justification for needing wireless, in which case it probably also justifies buying a decent wireless system.

Riders have a way juggling that logic.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 12:59:31 PM »

I have a Line6 XD-V70 and it's great.  If your needs are able to be met within it's limitations - rider issues, max. systems in use, etc., it or it's replacement the XD-V75 is worth a look.

David Kaiser

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 02:35:01 PM »

I use the AT 3000 series wireless mics with Countryman E6, OSP HS06 and HS09, and Audio Technica AT892 and Pro 8 headsets. I have been very satisfied with these wireless. They are available on ebay for under 400 dollars barely used. Audio Technica also has a nice case that fits these mics really well. It also holds a Energizer compact charger and several sets of batteries. I have two of those cases and 8 units in a rack. I also have several 4000 series and a older 7000 series. I just purchased 4 more OSP HS-09 headsets.

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 02:40:06 PM »

I've used Shure SLX series with a Crown CM-311A headset for years with good results. If you bought used you could probably duplicate this set up for ~$500-ish.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 02:40:55 PM »

I have a Line6 XD-V70 and it's great.  If your needs are able to be met within it's limitations - rider issues, max. systems in use, etc., it or it's replacement the XD-V75 is worth a look.

How does the v75 compare to the v70?  sound, range, other???

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 03:21:46 PM »

How does the v75 compare to the v70?  sound, range, other???
I only know what I've read about the v75, but my understanding is that the new RF codec does less simultaneous streams so as to not hose up WiFi as badly, without significant changes to mic range and reliability. 

Simultaneous system count goes from 12 to 14 and latency goes from ~4ms to 2.something.  V70 systems can be upgraded through a V75 to get the new lower latency transmission protocol and compatibility with V75. 

I believe sound should be unchanged generally, though I think there might be a couple new mic models for the handheld version.  Price has gone up a little.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 04:54:21 PM »

At the low end Ive had very good results with the AKG WMS450 series, with both the D5 and C5 capsules. Research the RF in your area before purchasing and select the band with the most free/quiet space.

I was also impressed with the low end AKG handheld (no idea what capsule) on one show I ran into it. I have no idea how they operate in bunches but for a single MC/announcement mic it worked great.
Jay Barracato

Luke Robinson

• audio gods
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 12:59:56 PM »

I have had such a great experience with the line 6 stuff that I have been replacing a lot of my Shure ULX with it at a profit no less...

I have set myself up with a Dealer account for Line 6 and can currently hit your budget with the V70 stuff if you are interested hit me up.

jim whitmer

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 10:51:41 AM »

+1 on the Line 6. In the sound quality department they kill my Senny G3's.

However I'm already having durability issues on week 3 with the plastic end piece. Hopefully they are cheap to replace and/or in redesign or looking at a different type of plastic.

David Hoover

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 01:48:09 PM »

I have had such a great experience with the line 6 stuff that I have been replacing a lot of my Shure ULX with it at a profit no less...

I have set myself up with a Dealer account for Line 6 and can currently hit your budget with the V70 stuff if you are interested hit me up.

The line 6 stuff sounds better than the ULX?  I use ULX equipment at one of the venues at work and I think it sounds great.  It's used only for speaking, however.  Compared to a PG wireless, it sounds amazing.

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 02:13:44 PM »

Looks like the line 6 digital operates in the shared 2.4Ghz band - no traffic issues with hot spots, routers, ipad/itouches, tablets, wifi doohickies?

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 03:17:10 PM »

Looks like the line 6 digital operates in the shared 2.4Ghz band - no traffic issues with hot spots, routers, ipad/itouches, tablets, wifi doohickies?
It works surprisingly well, just don't put the mic right next to your router. In my experience if anything, the mics are fine and the wifi loses. I just ordered a V75 and am very curious to see how that improves things from the V70 I have. Supposedly the big change is less stomping on the wifi.

Mark Gensman

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2012, 06:30:17 PM »

I have two Sennheiser Freeport systems that have been perfectly reliable and well worth the money for several years now. No problems of any kind. One of them replaced a Shure ULX system that died mid gig several years ago and I never bothered to replace it.

Luke Robinson

• audio gods
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 06:48:40 PM »

The line 6 stuff sounds better than the ULX?  I use ULX equipment at one of the venues at work and I think it sounds great.  It's used only for speaking, however.  Compared to a PG wireless, it sounds amazing.

Yes there is a lot less self noise, it is just cleaner, it is also half of the price new.
 other things to factor in are 7-8 hour battery life on 2 AAs that cost me a total of $0.65 verses $1.05 for a 9V that lasts 6 hours in the ULX your operating costs go down. Also built in antenna distribution and the ability to chain up the power with a simple guitar pedalboard power stringer. They are pretty awesome.

Michael Gorecki

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 07:05:22 PM »

The new EV R300 is worth checking out over the samson products. Not as great as the Line 6, but nearly half the cost.

James A. Griffin

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 09:31:20 PM »

Riders have a way juggling that logic.

If the rider specifies wireless, what are the chances it will specify an entry-level AKG?
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Scott Jordan

• LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 03:13:49 PM »

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/professional_xs_wireless_microphone_system_35_vocal_set

Sennheiser just announced this at NAMM. List is under $400.
Scott Jordan

michael sveda

• Greensboro, NC
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2012, 06:26:15 PM »

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/professional_xs_wireless_microphone_system_35_vocal_set

Sennheiser just announced this at NAMM. List is under $400.
I am interested in a budget system as well.  Been looking at akg perception and wms450 along with shure pgx.  The new sennheiser looks nice.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2012, 03:10:41 AM »

I cannot say enough good things about the MiPro ACT 700 series. The mics sound great, both HH and Lavs. The RF performance is incredible too. Search around. There are a few reviews of these budget friendly mics around....
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2012, 08:18:24 AM »

If the rider specifies wireless, what are the chances it will specify an entry-level AKG?

They have not for the ones I have seen, when they dont I must balance the tech requirements, my reputation, integrity and QOS with the talent level and what I am charging for and situation. Ive found the AKG products robust for my needs, especially the 450 and 4500 series.

Cheers,
Mike

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2012, 08:18:24 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.