ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacement drivers for sub cabinets  (Read 7230 times)

Greg g. Pierce

Re: Replacement drivers for sub cabinets
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 02:40:36 PM »

Simply putting a 9vdc battery across the terminals is not going to reveal slight rubbing
of the former on the pole piece Greg.   You have to pull the loudspeaker and place your fingers under the cone and push up to xmax and then let the cone fall back into place and slightly push down on the cone.  Macke absolutely certain you keep the cone movement even when you pull the cone up in the gap.  Any slight rubbing (you will feel it) deams a recone/replacement.
Stu,
OK, I pushed on them also, but I didn't push them out as far as you describe, I'll do that too.

Nick Enright

• Detroit, MI
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 03:27:05 PM »

Simply putting a 9vdc battery across the terminals is not going to reveal slight rubbing
of the former on the pole piece Greg.   You have to pull the loudspeaker and place your fingers under the cone and push up to xmax and then let the cone fall back into place and slightly push down on the cone.  Macke absolutely certain you keep the cone movement even when you pull the cone up in the gap.  Any slight rubbing (you will feel it) deams a recone/replacement.

you can also run a sine sweep on them, that's my favorite method... There are lots of ways to generate it, I like my Iphone app, it's a free signal generator. send it through an amp at low level and slowly sweep from 10Hz up, you'll be able to hear all kinds of problems that you can't feel or see.

Nick Enright
Owner / Engineer
Lyve Productions
Detroit, MI

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 08:19:38 PM »

Thanks for the info Stu,
I don't hear anything. I took the speakers out yesterday and tested each with a 9v battery, they jump like they are supposed to. Put them back in, tightened them up. Thought the bbrraaapp noise was gone, but I can still get it but under increasingly high volume. I'm now thinking that the 4 clamps that hold the speaker in place may not be enough. I'm going to put some more clamps on all the speakers and try again. I think Im closing in on it.

If your “bbrraaapp” means a popping sound (like a ballon) at high levels, it means you are feeding the drivers too much power which, is not surprising considering the xmax of your drivers a very low.

Trouble shooting will not be helpful under those conditions since you are not feeding the woofers the same amount of power as you would having the drivers sitting inside the enclosure.

If you measure the port’s length and width of the cabinet, I will scale the box so you can see what is occurring.

I would also need to know how much power you are feeding those drivers.

Best Regards,

Elliot.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 08:19:38 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.