ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any experience with Eminence Definimax 4018LF?  (Read 7298 times)

Mike Johnson

Any experience with Eminence Definimax 4018LF?
« on: January 11, 2012, 06:30:53 pm »

Third post here, hopefully someday I can become more of a contributor and less of a question asker....

I'm thinking of building a pair of the Eminence "Definimax 4018 Large Dance Club Type Of Subwoofer" as described on their cabinet design PDF (link below) for some of the medium size middle/high school dances I do, specs and response look pretty nice on paper:

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Definimax_4018LF_cab.pdf

Anyone able to comment on this design or care to comment on the driver in general?  Any thoughts on a Peavey Low Rider 18" compared to this Eminence driver?

Thanks,
Mike

Blake Courtney

Re: Any experience with Eminence Definimax 4018LF?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 10:46:46 pm »

First off, unless you are already a skilled cabinet maker don't do it.
Also I am and have built many cabinets, on average a double 18 finished will run a minimum of $200 and up. Without drivers. Parts express has them for $300 each so at a bare minimum you are already spending $800 for a home built box.
It may sound great but won't have any resale value beyond the components.

You would be better off looking at something either used or new.

If you insist on building your own, look at 18 sound or B&C. I use both and have amazing results. Try www.prosoundservice.com in Braintree, MA. or US Speaker.com

Blake

Third post here, hopefully someday I can become more of a contributor and less of a question asker....

I'm thinking of building a pair of the Eminence "Definimax 4018 Large Dance Club Type Of Subwoofer" as described on their cabinet design PDF (link below) for some of the medium size middle/high school dances I do, specs and response look pretty nice on paper:

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Definimax_4018LF_cab.pdf

Anyone able to comment on this design or care to comment on the driver in general?  Any thoughts on a Peavey Low Rider 18" compared to this Eminence driver?

Thanks,
Mike

Chris Van Duker

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 04:08:05 pm »

I remember comparing this driver in designs in WinISD and comparing it to identical designs using the B&C 18TBX100, and noticing that they were really quite similar. It turns out, the T-S parameters are pretty darn close as well -- probably more similar than the difference between a cold driver and a hot one. So given that the B&C driver is rated at 50% higher power (not according to PE's specs, but according to the manufacturer's), has a bit more xmax, and that the B&C is actually a couple bucks cheaper right now when you buy 4, I'd suggest looking at that driver instead. (It'll probably have higher resale value as well.)

Incidentally, according to Charlie Tappa, this new driver: http://www.bcspeakers.com/product.php?id=356, the 18TBW100, should be coming out in Spring, and it looks like a winner.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 02:08:20 pm »

The Definimax and Lowrider are both very good value in terms of performance vs cost and both work well(handle rated power) in a 7cu-ft/driver enclosure tuned to 40hz.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 11:39:32 pm »

I remember comparing this driver in designs in WinISD and comparing it to identical designs using the B&C 18TBX100, and noticing that they were really quite similar. It turns out, the T-S parameters are pretty darn close as well -- probably more similar than the difference between a cold driver and a hot one. So given that the B&C driver is rated at 50% higher power (not according to PE's specs, but according to the manufacturer's), has a bit more xmax, and that the B&C is actually a couple bucks cheaper right now when you buy 4, I'd suggest looking at that driver instead. (It'll probably have higher resale value as well.)

Incidentally, according to Charlie Tappa, this new driver: http://www.bcspeakers.com/product.php?id=356, the 18TBW100, should be coming out in Spring, and it looks like a winner.

+1

Agreed, the 18TBX100 is real hard to beat in the ceramic 18" category right now.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 08:02:06 am »

18TBX100 is the best off-the-shelf cone available right now.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 08:02:06 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 24 queries.