ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Can anyone ID this fuse?  (Read 22132 times)

Al Rubio, Jr

Can anyone ID this fuse?
« on: January 22, 2012, 07:22:59 PM »

It's out of an EV TX1122FM.  Both of the ones mounted on the x-over board were burnt out.  Problem is there are no markings on the metal caps as I'm used to seeing on typical auto-type fuses, so I don't know the values to be looking for.  What I'd like to know is if these (or equivalent) are available at any 'ol auto parts store... and if so, what 'value' would I ask for?
Thanx!

Chris Davis

• SR Forums
  • USA
Re: Can anyone ID this fuse?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 07:34:01 PM »

It's out of an EV TX1122FM.  Both of the ones mounted on the x-over board were burnt out.  Problem is there are no markings on the metal caps as I'm used to seeing on typical auto-type fuses, so I don't know the values to be looking for.  What I'd like to know is if these (or equivalent) are available at any 'ol auto parts store... and if so, what 'value' would I ask for?
Thanx!

Looks to me like an automotive dome light bulb.  Ask EV so you know which bulb to hunt down, that will be important.

duane massey

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 08:23:54 PM »

Probably a 1.362A piece of aluminum foil would work, but Chris has a better idea.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

David Parker

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 08:33:36 PM »

a lot of speakers use light bulbs for horn protection. They actually compress what is going to the horns when the level gets high enough.

John Moore

• "learning the hard way sucks donkey kong"
    • Trinity Productions
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 10:15:33 PM »

+1 light bulb...too big for fuse...we had some speakers that used similar, just went to automotive store and got replacements of like quality....
http://www.trinityprosound.com 209-832-8023
DEALER:Dealer for Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, Danley Sound Labs, VTC, Allen & Heath, Ashly, Denon,  Audix, One Systems, Beyerdynamic, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate,  Trusst, Road Ready, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, dB Technologies, RCF, American Audio,  Rapco, CBI Cables, ADJ, Chauvet, Blizzard, Furman, Shure, Tascam, Elite Screens,  BenQ, Midas, Digico,  and many many more...

Bruce Canan

• St. Louis
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 11:15:23 AM »

Eden bass cabs use these. I run into players that often don't realize they're blown.....

Al Rubio, Jr

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 07:29:30 PM »

I've got an email inquiry in to EV Tech Support asking for the voltage and amperage values...
I'll make a phone call to 'em if I don't get an email back in the next day or two.
Looking around on the interwebz, I notice that automotive part items that look like the equivalent tend to be priced WAY lower.  Just want to see if the values match.

Matthew 'Stitch' Pence

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 07:49:14 PM »

Looks like a 211-2 Automotive bulb.
Ohana means Family, and Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 08:00:32 PM »

It's a bulb, not a fuse. Actually, I think EV refers to this as a passive limiter and it's function is to eat up some of the power being pushed to the cabinet. Look inside the ports of a good cabinet and you'll see the tell tale lighting of the bulb as the power starts to exceed the cabinets capability, until eventually it burns out just like yours. Don't be surprized if you've lost a driver in the process. You can find the support site at the link below, and a quick call to EV will send you to a service center or to their service department. Buy spares.
http://www.electrovoice.com/downloads.php

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 10:32:30 AM »

Thanx!
Very common for tweeter protection on pro passive xovers.   

Pink Floyd used to use full size light bulbs.  This method started in the 70's.  The bulb will heat up and and you will have a rise in impedance to the compression driver.  A soft easy over compression will take place.  Cool eh?  When you hit max current it will act as a hard limiter.  Finally if you keep pushing it the bulb will
blow.   
Here is a link.  You can simply get the bulb at any car parts shop etc.

Parts express has them as well

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-231

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 10:32:30 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 24 queries.