ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Your first big concert sound experience  (Read 9668 times)

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
Re: Your first big concert sound experience
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 07:51:32 PM »

The Ramones Adios Amigos tour@ the Count Basie Theater. It forever redefined loud for me.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 08:12:44 PM »

1968 Cream, and my band opened for them.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 01:06:13 AM »

1968 Cream, and my band opened for them.

That's what makes you a Hero, sir!

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 02:32:35 AM »

I don't know that it was a "big concert sound" experience, but my first concert was the Violent Femmes at the EMU ballroom in Oregon.  It was certainly exciting and fun, though I don't really remember much about the sound per se.  They were an amazing act to watch, though...

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 03:22:53 AM »

I'm surprised John could see much of the crowd.  He's legally blind w/o corrective lenses, and his childhood eyesight problems figure directly into his escape from East Germany.
yeah i my mom told me thats why he wore sunglasses. my guess is someone with the band to him to announce that. a few months later i got my first drum kit and learned to play like Jerry Edmonton. i got Steppenwolf live and learned to play hey lawdy mama and magic carpet ride. Jerry Edmontons bass drum pattern is what influenced my bass drum playing. i'm not a carbon copy of Jerry Edmonton but he along with Don Brewer were my 2 major influences for the first few years of my playing. i saw John Kay at town creek saloon in jackson missippi around the mid 80's and he wasnt wearing sunglasses.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 07:40:31 AM »

That's what makes you a Hero, sir!
No, that makes me the right person in the right band at the right time.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Dave Scarlett

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 03:16:21 PM »

Just finished reading the latest post about kick drum mics, so that reminded me of my first big concert. The Stan Kenton Orchestra, the late '70's, with John Von Ohlen on drums. I got to talk with him after the concert and he showed me his kick drum where the beater side skin was so loose the lugs could be turned with one finger. Since then I've played with some huge PA's in front of nearly 20,000 people, but all those horns and that drummer had the biggest sound ever!

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 03:50:40 PM »

Hmm..

1967, Grande Ballroom, Detroit.... there to see my *"Cousin" Andy Angelotti play drums in the "Unrelated Segments".  At the time, they were a really hot group, with lot's of airplay.  MC5 was just getting its start and was one of the warm-up groups.

They had a few hit singles and a year later appeared on American Bandstand. 

The Beatles accredited them as an influence to some of their late 1960s music. I was a kid, but thought, this is SOOO cool.  Remembering... that it was the first time that I could distinguish the Bass guitar from the other guitars.

Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 04:38:54 PM »

yeah i my mom told me thats why he wore sunglasses. my guess is someone with the band to him to announce that. a few months later i got my first drum kit and learned to play like Jerry Edmonton. i got Steppenwolf live and learned to play hey lawdy mama and magic carpet ride. Jerry Edmontons bass drum pattern is what influenced my bass drum playing. i'm not a carbon copy of Jerry Edmonton but he along with Don Brewer were my 2 major influences for the first few years of my playing. i saw John Kay at town creek saloon in jackson missippi around the mid 80's and he wasnt wearing sunglasses.

John had several eye surgeries in his performing career.  I think the procedures done around the time you mention began new improvements in his vision.  He has a very detailed autobiography that covers lots of.. well, almost everything about John, his band-mates, business decisions, Steppenwolf... probably more detail than most readers will care for.  And most of if was directly from John's memories.  He's quite a guy, and if you meet his wife you'll meet a marvelous woman.

There was a VH-1 "Behind the Music" episode about Steppenwolf that had interviews with former band members who were bitter about some business decision they made with John.  Most all of those hurt feelings have been smoothed out since that was produced.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

ps.  You could do worse than emulate Jerry's parts and playing... :)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 07:15:01 PM »

No, that makes me the right person in the right band at the right time.

Well... you're my hero Bob. The Stage with Cream, that is SO cool. 

And, you'd be the guy to ask regarding old Fender Amps and restoration questions.  I'm recommending "Hero" statis.   :)

Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 07:15:01 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.