ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: These will change the club game  (Read 30638 times)

Rob Gow

Re: These will change the club game
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2012, 11:42:22 PM »

Picked up the 16.0.2 on Tuesday. Looking forward to my first gig with it...

A comedian.

SOS
2 monitors
1 mic

Perfect. I'll remote mix him, and even record the show. 

Matt Tudor

• NW Iowa.
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2012, 11:14:54 AM »

You've got one heck of a business model if you can afford to go out and replace an ipad like that. $300 gig minus gear cost minus labor minus cost of new ipad = financial insolvency in a hurry. I suspect the bigger companies that could afford to eat the cost of the new ipad are going to be using "real" board with ipad apps, not this toy. Your Walmart has much better customer service than the one in my town if you can get there, buy one, and get back by the end of intermission. To say nothing of downloading whatever app this thing takes (assuming you have internet access at your venue) and getting it back up and running. Losing an i-pad in this situation, from dropping, theft, or simple mechanical failure, would probably be as much a show stopper as shelling a mixer mid-set.

I mix FOH with Yamaha's StageMix from time to time, most recently two weeks ago. We hosted a private party for a small crowd that was down at the front of the house and mix position was at the back. It was nice to be able to walk down to where the crowd was to mix, and the lost of tactile interface really didn't seem to bother me, but it was a small band. 8 channel or so. I just don't know if I would use this much with my gigs. The larger gigs get an LS9 which already has ipad control, and the smaller gigs we do tend to be set and forget with small 8 and 12 channel mixers. No way I'm leaving an ipad setting out for the evening with those gigs. The Kensington lock only guarantees that not only will the ipad be gone, but the dock it's attached to as well.

I think you're overlooking the ubiquitous nature of the ipad.  Obviously Mackie isn't trying to penetrate the touring audio market with the product, but if we're talking about bar gigs... well, if you drop your ipad you can always run to 24 hr walmart and get another one.  Can't do that with any other component in a digital mixer.  I wouldn't even have to go that far, I've got 3 friends I could call that would be up, and maybe even already at my gig.

I'm not saying it's perfect, I just think it's not that critical an issue since it's easily replaceable. I take more issue with the knobs for preamps, instead of re-callable preamps. I think a better take on this product would be a rack mountable device with a built in wireless router.  You never need to physically connect your ipad/pc etc...

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2012, 11:35:36 AM »

Kensington lock is for the mixer itself.

The locking device that secures the iPad to the mixer looks pretty sturdy.

They will have to steal the mixer to get the Ipad. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2012, 11:35:36 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 25 queries.