ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: These will change the club game  (Read 30905 times)

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
Re: These will change the club game
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 03:18:04 PM »

Looks like an Ipad dock to me. Which is why we are seeing (and are going to see more of) this type of mixer. The digital engine part is done via the iPad. There are a bazillion people who can code apps for the iPad. That just leaves a hardware interface that is pretty easy to do for guys like mackie and berhinger. Congratulations. You just made a digital console.

Other ipad stuff

http://www.musicradar.com/gallery/news/dj/namm-2012-numark-idj-pro-ipad-mixing-controller-525337/1

http://www.musicradar.com/news/drums/namm-2012-alesis-dm-dock-drum-module-for-ipad-525357

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/namm-2012-new-ipad-daw-with-48-tracks-and-vst-plug-in-support-524905

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 03:21:49 PM »

We're going to see a LOT of these. 
Mackie - 16 channel - 6 aux - iPad works wirelessly - mixer/docking station thing

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/namm-2012-mackie-launches-dl1608-525318

But can you really do a "real professional mixing job" from one of those? Or is it just for little tech kids to say, "Wow, look at my new toy."

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 03:33:44 PM »

But can you really do a "real professional mixing job" from one of those?

Why not?  I think it's just a question of getting used to the interface.  I know I can handle the majority of my jobs with 16 channels, and I'll bet it doesn't take long for Mackie or someone to expand the number of channels on that thing.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 03:38:00 PM by Chuck Simon »

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 04:44:10 PM »

Why not?  I think it's just a question of getting used to the interface.  I know I can handle the majority of my jobs with 16 channels, and I'll bet it doesn't take long for Mackie or someone to expand the number of channels on that thing.

Faders are the one control I absolutely do not want to be virtual. Put everything else on the computer surface but leave me my fader band.
Jay Barracato

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 05:01:20 PM »

I can't say...I've never used an ipad to mix with. That's why I'm asking.

I can see the advantage of being able to walk around, make minor adjustments and hear what it's like in different parts of the room. But can you really be "on top" of what's going on with your mix without having the main console in front of you? I can see some guitar solos getting missed if you depend on an ipad too much.

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 05:55:00 PM »

Faders are the one control I absolutely do not want to be virtual. Put everything else on the computer surface but leave me my fader band.

Yup, agree, one network hiccup, extended latency, overshoot of a gain, a wrong move with the stylus, or a mass of bodies walking in between you and the "base station" and disaster.

My experience shows mixing ( level adjustments ) are OK on a tablet, but EQ, or other fine adjustments need either a real knob, or an arrow ( up/down) control from a physical keyboard ( via Studiomanager )

Mike

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 06:44:01 PM »

And that is the biggest factor for me too.  I enjoy sliding faders and I think I would miss that, but you know, some day people will be joking about the "good old days" when people actually, physically slid mechicanical faders up and down to control digital signals.

Really, it's amazing how quickly one can adapt to  maneuvering around on a iPhone - I don't see why all aspects of a live show couldn't be controlled by one(or several) iPads.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 06:53:22 PM by Chuck Simon »

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 02:49:41 AM »

Sorry guys, show's off... I dropped the mixer.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 07:43:39 AM »

Sorry guys, show's off... I dropped the mixer.

If you base your choice of a mixer on how well it will hold up to being dropped, it's going to limit your choices severley!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 07:47:09 AM by Chuck Simon »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 07:43:39 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.