ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: These will change the club game  (Read 30636 times)

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
Re: These will change the club game
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2012, 09:16:50 AM »

Mormons make you hallucinate? I knew they had some slightly unusual beliefs, but that's a new one on me!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgHxFNFWlZc

Tracy Garner

« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2012, 11:19:19 AM »

I can picture a Serato DJ software application running on something like that with a crossfader attached to it. Rane just released a new series of mixer in the 1500-2000 price range so conceptually an iPad doc isnt out of the price of most - especially since many Djs are already using MacBook pros...

All of the Djs could roll into the club with their Ipad, dock it and start playing music. This is definitely something to move toward.

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
These will change the club game
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2012, 12:42:42 PM »

gotta love the marketing video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACo3VgXijlU&feature=player_embedded

I think this video had the opposite effect on me than what the marketing team intended.

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2012, 12:49:10 PM »

I think this video had the opposite effect on me than what the marketing team intended.
No kidding!
A sound guy on mushrooms sticking his head in the toilet for fun doesn't make me want to buy a mixer!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2012, 01:23:19 PM »

If you base your choice of a mixer on how well it will hold up to being dropped, it's going to limit your choices severley!
Mechanical reliability IS a factor, and a big one once you're out of the bar gig scene.  It was pretty difficult for the operator to drop a PM4000 or Heritage 3K, but they have fallen when EZtilts collapse, or someone decided a banquet table was a good choice for 800# of mixer & case.

The flip side is that it's very easy to drop an ipad or other remote device, they are also not immune to theft.  Neither circumstance means the devices are a failure in audio, simply that new precautions will need to be taken...  but any mixer that cant be physically controlled without the Maxipad or other device is off our radar for the kinds of work we do.

YMMV,
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2012, 01:30:45 PM »

The flip side is that it's very easy to drop an ipad or other remote device, they are also not immune to theft.  Neither circumstance means the devices are a failure in audio, simply that new precautions will need to be taken...

Of course!  The same precautions you would use with a microphone that cost more than an iPad!

I guess you could chain it to a brick(restroom keys) if you are really worried about it. ;)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 01:42:55 PM by Chuck Simon »

Gary Green

« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2012, 03:40:55 PM »

Ahh hum, my generation fully embrasses this technology (we use it now with yamaha products and wifi tablets - it is an old concept - it is the present not the future) but I digress, there is only so much you can (gracefully and quickly) tweak and dial in on a tablet, you will see, wait til you have 5khz feedback you cant kill...

Mike
U
The analogy that comes to my mind is that I would be hesitant to give up the tactile modality invovled in driving a car to using a touchscreen that applies gas, braking, turning - no matter how well it worked and how reliable it was .  The kinesthetic part of this just may have a place in what we do for a long long time - until we've completely automated the process.

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2012, 03:44:16 PM »

U
The analogy that comes to my mind is that I would be hesitant to give up the tactile modality invovled in driving a car to using a touchscreen that applies gas, braking, turning - no matter how well it worked and how reliable it was .  The kinesthetic part of this just may have a place in what we do for a long long time - until we've completely automated the process.

Airplanes are fly by wire.
This isn't perfect or for all needs by any means, but I still bet they sell a bus load of them.

Assumes that Apple doesn't upgrade the Ipad to something that won't fit or work

( Google Alesis IO dock - doesn't fit Ipad 2, doesn't work w/IOS 5, etc...)

Albert Thomas

« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2012, 06:32:04 PM »

I dunno if it will "change" the club game other than offer another choice, and more choice is good... I like that.
For all the criticisms, some valid, some questionable, it's still a cool innovation that will be perfect for some applications.
We already have a couple of Ipads in the house and this will be perfect for the home studio/jam room I'm putting together that everyone can use. My wife's choir group practice here weekly and they'll love it because most of them already have Iphones so they'll feel right at home. My DJ son, and my heavy metal son with their smart phone skills will also fly with it.

That leaves me, the guy with the most "sound" experience having the toughest time because of my knob and fader legacy. But it'll be fun to learn something new and wring it out in a non-critical environment. That should give me enough experience to help me decide if I would want to use it for a small gig. I still would never ever want to give up my knobs and faders on a bigger board.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2012, 08:05:30 PM »

,but any mixer that cant be physically controlled without the Maxipad or other device is off our radar for the kinds of work we do.

YMMV,
Do I hear an amen my brothers.
I can run my APB with a bad channel, I can replace a failed power supply in less than 5 minutes, it won't fit inside someones jacket, and if I drop it chances are nothing will be wrong when I pick it up again.
I carry two DSPs AND a crossover. Why would I put all of my faith in a single Ipad. Is there a belief they never fail?? I see DJ apps written all over this and that would be fine as long as it doesn't shit the bed at my daughters wedding.

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2012, 08:05:30 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.