ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: questions on building my first PA system setup  (Read 10540 times)

Phil Johnson

questions on building my first PA system setup
« on: January 17, 2012, 01:23:49 PM »

I'm new to all of this, although I'm not new to pro audio itself, I have only ever helped setup or just used an already installed club system.  never had my own stuff.  I bought some things that were recommended to me through a few friends, I'd like your opinions and what you might do for a set of passive speakers.  this is a list of my current haves

3 wireless samson mics
Behringer X1832USB mixer
2 JBL Eon 315 (powered speakers)
1 Seismic Audio 18" powered subwoofer (1000 RMS)
2 Peavey CS2000H amplifiers in perfect condition (note this is the older H and not just a CS2000)
DBX 2 channel Equalizer
assorted cables of course

looking for opinions and thoughts on current equipment, additions and what to use for some passive speakers for the CS2000H's.  I was told I should use one to power a sub or two, and the other for some others. 

particularly interested in anything you guys have to say about seismic audio gear.  I took a risk and bought the enforcer and thus far am pretty happy with it.  it's not earth shattering bass, but it's pretty good for the price. 

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: questions on building my first PA system setup
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 10:21:15 AM »

Probably the first thing is to tell us a little about the application.  One can assume a club application from your post but is this for background music, DJ, live band, etc.?  What genres of music and what types of bands?  What size venues and audiences?

As far as passive speakers, you have the EON 315s, why are you looking for other speakers?  Is there something specific you are trying to change or improve?  Would the EONs move to monitor duty or anything like that?

The Seismic Enforcer seems to have an adjustable low pass filter for the sub but no high pass filtered output for the mains, so how are you high passing the EONs?

Chris Chambers

• Melbourne, Australia
    • MAD Productions
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 10:21:55 PM »

I'm new to all of this, although I'm not new to pro audio itself, I have only ever helped setup or just used an already installed club system.  never had my own stuff.  I bought some things that were recommended to me through a few friends, I'd like your opinions and what you might do for a set of passive speakers.  this is a list of my current haves

3 wireless samson mics
Behringer X1832USB mixer
2 Peavey CS2000H amplifiers in perfect condition (note this is the older H and not just a CS2000)
DBX 2 channel Equalizer

looking for opinions and thoughts on current equipment, additions and what to use for some passive speakers for the CS2000H's.  I was told I should use one to power a sub or two, and the other for some others. 

particularly interested in anything you guys have to say about seismic audio gear.  I took a risk and bought the enforcer and thus far am pretty happy with it.  it's not earth shattering bass, but it's pretty good for the price.

Well if your looking at some new passive speakers i'd say go have a look at Myer or EAW or l-acoustic... however i don't think you can afford that much so how much have you got to work with?

What country are you in also? USA? Australia?

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 11:29:45 PM »

3 wireless samson mics
Behringer X1832USB mixer
DBX 2 channel Equalizer

Looks like your needing subs and monitors.  How much you want to spend?  Get the idea?
Add another powered sub and use the internal xover in the sub/s for the mains.  Get some passive stage monitors and power them with your amps.  Get more microphones and stands and cables.   If you are planning on running this off stage you need a snake.   If your running it on stage you need a rack to put it all in.   You see the expenses piling up here?  Shop wisely and get stuff at least in
the quality range of the entry JBL stuff you have

chuck clark

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 08:50:53 AM »

That's a dandy little system for a couple acoustic guitar players or perhaps music playback in smaller rooms with crowds of no more than 100 people or so.

You haven't told us what your application is...?

Generally +1 what Mr. McDoniel said. Modern music is deep bass heavy so your probly going to want more subs. If I were you I'd get another sub immediately and eventually end up w/ 4 total. 2 per side. (makes it easy to stack the tops on without having to put em on a stick)

I started over 25 years ago w/ a pair of peavey SP 2's and  4 single 15" peavey FH-1 subs. I now own a regional sound co. and have more $$$ invested in mic cords than your entire system. Yikes! -Best of luck!
Chuck

PS: Seismic gear has been kicked around a lot on here. The concensus seems to be: Their top of the line 18" subs and cabling are ok, but I would stay away from all else.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 03:54:54 PM »

3 wireless samson mics
Behringer X1832USB mixer
DBX 2 channel Equalizer

What kind of program material, how much *area* do you need to cover, how loud does it need to be, what are the quality expectations?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 11:18:09 PM »

You know that south of the equator, everything has to be connected in reverse polarity, right?
JUST KIDDING!
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 07:24:02 AM »

Well if your looking at some new passive speakers i'd say go have a look at Myer or EAW or l-acoustic... however i don't think you can afford that much so how much have you got to work with?

I agree with wanting to know which country but really, EAW, L-Acoustic? Passive Meyer, where did you find those, to my knowledge eyer only makes active boxes?
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 07:31:30 AM »

Add another powered sub and use the internal xover in the sub/s for the mains.
That assumes the subs have internal crossovers and as far as I can tell from the very limited information Seismic provides, none of their subwoofers have integral crossovers.  The powered Enforcer seems to have a variable 45Hz-800Hz low pass for the its signal, which seems a bit of a ridiculous range, but the output seems to be a simple loop intended to daisy-chain other subs rather than being a high passed output for mains.

Phil Johnson

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 08:07:31 AM »

That assumes the subs have internal crossovers and as far as I can tell from the very limited information Seismic provides, none of their subwoofers have integral crossovers.  The powered Enforcer seems to have a variable 45Hz-800Hz low pass for the its signal, which seems a bit of a ridiculous range, but the output seems to be a simple loop intended to daisy-chain other subs rather than being a high passed output for mains.

correct.  currently I control this through my mixer, basically I use a Sub 1 output to control my subwoofers independently and I'm utilizing that DBX as my equalizer to cut some of the heavy bass from hitting the eon's presently.  we are looking at no more than 200-300 people maximum in a smaller indoor club environment.  I agree the controls on the enforcer are a little lacking, however they aren't too horrible considerin.  it would typically be hip-hop, R&B, Rock, and the occasional Dubstep/techno style that seems to be growing as a major genre.  would need to be pretty loud, and bass would be important.  the Eon's were really more of an ultra portable good PA for outside at relatively decent sound levels for smaller outdoor country parties.  they did the job well. 

budget is small at the moment.  I'm thinking no more than 700 per speaker as of now.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 08:07:31 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.