ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: VGA Cable run  (Read 8816 times)

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
Re: VGA Cable run
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 05:07:11 PM »

First of all, how old is this Macbook that it has a VGA output?  I have one about a year old and one about 5 years old, the newer model is an Apple DisplayPort output that requires an adapter to do VGA, HDMI, or DVI.  The older one is DVI and again requires an adapter if you want to do HDMI or VGA.  I'm willing to bet your client has a relatively new model Macbook and will require an adapter of some sort.  You need to verify that they have the VGA adapter before you proceed any further. 

Next, I would not count on the loop thru of the projector because you're going to be running about 150' of cable by the time you get to the second projector, and if it isn't amplified that is at the extreme max of an RGBHV run.  Your best bet is to get a VGA DA (distribution amplifier) with multiple outputs and run a separate VGA line to each projector.  Since you're posing this question in the first place, I'd say it's pretty safe to assume you don't own the DA or cables.  Whoever you're purchasing or renting the cables from should be able to provide you with a DA for no more than $30-$40 a day. 

Someone mentioned a Cat-5 solution, and while that would do the job just fine, normal category cable is fragile and won't last long in the rental/production world.  Heavier duty cable is available, but it's not going to be as cost effective or readily available as normal VGA and a DA.

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 07:14:07 PM »

In my experience that is an unusual configuration and the manual is confusing on the functionality.  When describing the Computer In 2/Monitor Out terminal the manual states "This terminal can be used to output the incoming analog RGB signal and component signals from COMPUTER IN 1/COMPONENT IN terminal to the other monitor (p.17)."  But then Page 17 states "Analog RGB and component signals cannot be output from the COMPUTER IN 2/MONITOR OUT terminal when using the COMPUTER IN 2/MONITOR OUT terminal as output."  These seem to directly contradict one another and I have a feeling the latter may be a typo with the last "output" supposed to be "input".  Whether it functions as a second input or a loop though of Input 1 is selected as a 'Setting' menu option, however other comments like "When the cable is of the longer variety, it is advisable to use the COMPUTER IN 1 / COMPONENT IN and not the COMPUTER IN 2." suggest that it is potentially limited in its use as an input.
Agreed on the typo.  Just pointing out an instance where such a beast exists.
What this allows, then, is basic Room Combining without the need for a splitter or matrix.  In theory, with the proper RS-232 control, you could attach Input Plate A in Room A to Projector A, then Input Plate B in Room B to Projector B, and tie the Computer2/MonitorOut jacks together.  Using the RS-232 control to reverse the configurations on the Computer2 Jack, you could control which way the signal flows.  Input Plate A-->ProjectorA-->Projector B, or Input Plate B-->ProjectorB-->ProjectorA.
Not that I've ever actually tried it...but the theory's sound.  Assuming you can control the config of the Computer2 jack over RS-232.

Back on topic...as others have mentioned, you're certainly better off splitting the VGA signal at the source, rather than trusting the monitor out.  No-one's saying it WON'T work...but if you're going in blind, may as well have the right tools to 'make it work' when things start going bad.

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 09:53:11 PM »

Tomorrow I'm going to check out the VGA cable through jacks on the projectors. Being in Northern Minnesota does not give me a lot of local sources to find this type of gear...

My client says the output on the Mac is VGA...

I won't even see the laptop until soundcheck. Grrr.

Anybody work with the Nelson brothers doing "Ricky Nelson Remembered"? Do you know what they showed up with?

Just the normal everyday show...

Thanks

Bob

« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 09:55:07 PM by Bob Cap »

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 11:29:57 AM »

Project update!

They have a 3 year old 15" MacBook Pro. It has an Apple mini display port. He has adapters to standard VGA and/or DVI.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Bob

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 04:12:03 PM »

Project update!

They have a 3 year old 15" MacBook Pro. It has an Apple mini display port. He has adapters to standard VGA and/or DVI.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Bob

VGA distribution amp as mentioned above

Chuck Fudge

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 04:28:15 PM »

I have not had any problem going long distances using VGA/RGBHV cabling, as long as DA's are used in the correct places.  It was suggested to use a DA at the source, and then run seperate cables to each projector....great suggestion as long as you have enough cabling.   I have in the past used a DA at the source, cabling to first projector placing another DA at this point, short cable to projector and then continue your run to the next.

Rule of thumb is to not amplify a weak signal....amplify at or near the source.  Personally I wouldn't go more than 50' without having a DA on hand just in case.  Computer VGA output is never consistant between models, or manufacturers.   Its always handy to use a scaler/switcher at the source.  This gives you the ability to blackout if needed, scale to the projector, and amplifies the signal at the source.  I've gone 100' out of our extron presentation switchers to projectors using vga/rgbhv cable with no apparent issues.

good luck

ps...is there spell check?

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 01:21:06 PM »

Hey guys,

I took your advice and ran a DA at the laptop. 50' VGA Cables to each projector.

Rock solid slides and video.

Thanks much.

Bob

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 02:36:06 PM »

Glad to hear it worked out for you!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 02:36:06 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 25 queries.