ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Beat Box" Vocal Percussion into a Shure Beta 87A  (Read 7892 times)

Dave Gunnell

"Beat Box" Vocal Percussion into a Shure Beta 87A
« on: January 16, 2012, 12:38:21 pm »

Hi Everyone:

I have a gig coming up with a vocal acapella group.  They told me that almost every one of their numbers has 'vocal percussion' (aka beat box) as the rhythm section.  While I have reinforced this type of group before, this is the first time they will be using my wireless, all Beta 87A capsules.

So my questions are:
  • Will vocal percussion damage a Beta 87A capsule? (or any other capsule for that matter)
  • Do dynamic mics (58/Beta 58) sound better with this source?
  • Do external windscreens help or hinder either of the above?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Dave

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
Re: "Beat Box" Vocal Percussion into a Shure Beta 87A
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 02:49:13 pm »

• Will vocal percussion damage a Beta 87A capsule? (or any other capsule for that matter)

Spit is an issue. Windscreens help. Condoms help. Both change the sound, which may or may not be a problem.
Don't be afraid to apply radical EQ unless, of course, they're going to sing into the same mic.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 04:45:52 pm »

Don't be afraid to apply radical EQ unless, of course, they're going to sing into the same mic.
Wye-ing that channel could be of help if it will be a dual use microphone.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Tracy Garner

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 07:35:38 pm »

Hi Everyone:

I have a gig coming up with a vocal acapella group.  They told me that almost every one of their numbers has 'vocal percussion' (aka beat box) as the rhythm section.  While I have reinforced this type of group before, this is the first time they will be using my wireless, all Beta 87A capsules.

So my questions are:

Dave

I did Dougie Fresh (King of Beat Box) and he used a 58. If those guys are true beatboxers, they will emulate real bass drum, bass guitar and everything. You might want to compress but I would be lenient dropping off the low frequencies. They will generally work the mic in a way to balance themselves accordingly.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 08:50:00 pm »

Use wind screens and throw them away when you're done.That wil also help with the plosives. For my taste I would not be using 87s just due to the tonal characteristics of that mic. But if that's all you have then so be it.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Gary Green

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 09:44:16 am »

Hi Everyone:

So my questions are:

Dave
Hey Dave ...quickly buy a used capsule off eBay for under 100 bucks and be done with worrying. Then you will have something for the future that can withstand as much abuse as one can expect a mic to tolerate. I keep a couple capsules just for that so my KSM9s , 87s etc stay 100%.
Add a little extra foam inside the grill if the windscreen isn't accepted.  The 87 sounds pretty ugly when wet.
 My 2cents.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 12:03:06 pm »

Hey Dave ...quickly buy a used capsule off eBay for under 100 bucks and be done with worrying. Then you will have something for the future that can withstand as much abuse as one can expect a mic to tolerate. I keep a couple capsules just for that so my KSM9s , 87s etc stay 100%.
Add a little extra foam inside the grill if the windscreen isn't accepted.  The 87 sounds pretty ugly when wet.
 My 2cents.
+1. A couple of 58 capsules would probably do a stellar job, and withstand quite a bit of punishment before crapping out.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Sam Zuckerman

• Baltimore, MD
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 11:00:59 pm »

I've done a few beat boxers. All used 58s except for one who insisted on using some POS $28 mice he brought along. These were JUST beat boxers. I would definitely pick up a 58 capsule or something.

For a capella groups I always leave a 58 on the side for the rhythm section. Make sure you ask if it is only for that though. I usually "y" that input anyhow because the one a capella group I work with always tell me that the mic is for beat box only but they switch it up with their solo mic all the time; especially when using wireless.

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 12:20:57 am »

Hi Everyone:

So my questions are:

Dave
Ok you can buy a bag of windscreens cheap.  Change out the windscreens every break
and toss them like Brad said. Basically its like changing a wet diaper. 

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 08:44:49 am »

Hi Everyone:

So my questions are:

Dave

I don't know if dynamics would sound any better, but they would sure take the punishment better. I would personally never put any condenser microphone into the situation you describe.  A Beta58 capsule would be my choice.
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 11:36:41 am »

I don't know if dynamics would sound any better, but they would sure take the punishment better. I would personally never put any condenser microphone into the situation you describe.  A Beta58 capsule would be my choice.

I'd also consider a Beta57a with windscreen.

That said, last time we worked with Toxic Audio (or Vox Audio, same act/diff name), they requested 2 Beta58 and 6 Beta87 wireless.  IIRC the Beta58s were for beatboxing and the 87s were for the singing.

Great bunch to work with, too.  Just remember "since our soprano married the sound guy, she's louder in the mix."

Tim Mc
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 02:08:07 pm by Tim McCulloch »
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Chan Xiang Ju

• XJ Audio and Visual Productions
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 07:57:50 pm »

Most beatboxers i meet on this side of the earth prefer the sm58. I personally guess its due to the proximity effect they can use to their "advantage".

The mic selection is really up to style. There are a couple of vocal percussionist whom do request for condenser capsules because they prefer the faster response time from a small diaphragm condenser.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.