ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL MRX518S vs YORKVILLE LS608  (Read 19407 times)

Glenn A Williams

Re: JBL MRX518S vs YORKVILLE LS608
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 10:55:29 PM »

I think it is time for you to do some measurements.  Do you have enough subs to do any measurements?  Just throwing out guesses or assumtions does not help people around here learn.

If you read a bunch more posts from around here by people a lot smarter than myself you will find that measuring your subs 10 meters and then will be a more reliable way to measure the SPL than at 1 meter.  I highly recommend reading posts by members such as Tom Danley and Ivan Beaver on the subject matter.

Tom Danley had a great post a couple years ago about coupling and wave length.  It should be a sticky! http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,81719.10.html  There are dozens of other VERY enlightening posts by him for us to learn a lot from.

If you read a bunch more posts from around here by people a lot smarter than myself you will find that measuring your subs 10 meters and then will be a more reliable way to measure the SPL than at 1 meter.

You make an idiotic assumption that anyone such as I would measure at 1 meter.

I wonder whether you have perception issues.

The standard sensitivity figures are usually measured at 10 meters, but they are extrapolated mathematically to refect 2.83V into an 8 ohm load at 1 meter.
Hence the standard specifcation rated in a weighted manner to 1w1m

You not only assume that I made the measurements.......albeit incorrectly, but you also assume that I do not know how to do so.

Furthermore, you inquire as to how many sets of subs that I have which is completely irrelevant to the data......FYI I have 7 sets of subs.

You are a fine one to spout off about assumptions and yet all you have done is make assumptions and guesses regarding where the data came from and the fact that it was all invalid.

All of this with no basis whatsoever other than your ASSumption that the data is suspect.

What you need to learn is that you have jumped to a conclusion regarding unsupported data, born out of assumption that is completely irrelevent.

That analysis precludes you ability to follow the scientific method and as such is very clear indication of your failure to logically execute the fundamentals.

I take it that you are not a man of science. 

The measurements that I have are the TEFC measurements from the manufacturer.

Yorkville Sound is a company within 30 miles, (50 km in Canada), of my home.....and I know the Engineers.

For that matter, I am an Engineer.

The data is valid, and conducted under laboratory conditions, outside and far away from structures of any kind.

I think that it is time that YOU stop making assumptions regarding data that you do not have!

Like it or not, those are the facts!

I can quote the data, but I cannot publish certain charts.

I have read the eloquently worded works of Mr. Tom Danley and a myriad of other information from published white papers, available from AES.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 12:27:46 AM by Glenn A Williams »

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 11:21:15 PM »

The measurements that I have are the TEFC measurements from the manufacturer.

Yorkville Sound is a company within 30 miles of my home.....and I know the Engineers.

The data is valid, and conducted under laboratory conditions, outside and far away from structures of any kind.

You can throw out your assumptions of some half-assed unweighted measurements conducted in a half-assed amature manner, since there are none.

I think that it is time that you stop making assumptions regarding data that you do not have!

Like it or not, those are the facts!

You need to get over your attitude!  I never mentioned a single manufacturer in this thread!  Neither JBL nor Yorkville.  I also didn't dispute any of the specs posted in this thread.  I have no idea if they are accurate or how they were measured and frankly I don't care because I don't own any JBL or Yorkville products and don't have any skin in the game on this.  obviouly some people around here do and they are going to stand up for their chosen products no matter what. 

I only pointed out that you get more than 3 dB of coupling with using two subs as apposed to one if they are within 1/4 wave length.  No one around this thread seem to trust physics or Ohms law.

With regards to Tom Danley suggesting measuring subs at 10 meters, I wouldn't call that amature.  I call that a very smart engineer who designs some of the best speakers in the industry that came up with a more reliable way to measure the output of subwoofers because the subs are phyically too big.

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 11:28:43 PM »

Prove it!

Bass reflex subs produce higher distortion than anything band passed!

Clean sound does not sound as loud because it is less distorted.

You opinion is based on distortion.

Measure them!

I low pass at 40hz.....your perception of "better" may have to do with frequencies below that.

I never said they were better, I said that the SRX718 could not keep up (with the efficiency), do to the sensitivity ratings!

Can you please elaborate on the measurements of distortion. According to you I am not understanding the difference between "clean sound" and distortion. I would like to think that I run my system efficiently enough to where distortion is not becoming audible.

Glenn A Williams

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2012, 11:37:26 PM »

You need to get over your attitude!  I never mentioned a single manufacturer in this thread!  Neither JBL nor Yorkville.  I also didn't dispute any of the specs posted in this thread.  I have no idea if they are accurate or how they were measured and frankly I don't care because I don't own any JBL or Yorkville products and don't have any skin in the game on this.  obviouly some people around here do and they are going to stand up for their chosen products no matter what. 

I only pointed out that you get more than 3 dB of coupling with using two subs as apposed to one if they are within 1/4 wave length.  No one around this thread seem to trust physics or Ohms law.

With regards to Tom Danley suggesting measuring subs at 10 meters, I wouldn't call that amature.  I call that a very smart engineer who designs some of the best speakers in the industry that came up with a more reliable way to measure the output of subwoofers because the subs are phyically too big.

What you need to get is a life!

You are the one who chose to jump in with both feet in you mouth spouting theoretical mathematics at an elementary level about gaining 6 db from power and coupling with you childish wisecrack.

It has no relevance in the real world.

In the real world you are a the one with the attitude. It is reflected in your ignorance as much as your beligerance.

You are willing to dish it out.....but you just can't take it....

You chose to blindly attack a statement of fact without the slightest knowledge of real world conditions as they apply to coupling.

Never mind investigating the statement to see if it could possibly be right. There is no need for verification is there?

You know it all!

In essence you are living in the first level of learning and as such, are not worth talking to.

Where ignorance is bliss, it is folly to be wise.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 12:04:45 AM by Glenn A Williams »

Glenn A Williams

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2012, 11:41:54 PM »

Can you please elaborate on the measurements of distortion. According to you I am not understanding the difference between "clean sound" and distortion. I would like to think that I run my system efficiently enough to where distortion is not becoming audible.

I am sure that you run your system professionally and with little distortion.

I suggest that you google the effects that distortion has on the ears and the way the mind perceives it.

It is perceived as being louder.

As such, that perception of which is the loudest will cause the brain to think that one product sounds "better" than another product. That is despite the measurements in dbs being the same.

I would suggest that you investigate which loudspeaker designs produce the lowest box distortion. The same speaker will produce less distortion in bandpass boxes and horns.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 12:23:59 AM by Glenn A Williams »

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2012, 12:23:59 AM »

Glenn, Do you think I am an idiot for using an amp capable of 1350 watts per channel into an 8 ohms load on my 80 Watt 8 ohms HF drivers?  That is 16X the rating of my HF drivers or would it be considered only 4X the rating since that would be ~103 Volts and the drivers want ~25 Volts? 

One of those things that makes you go Hmmmmmm? 

I must be an idiot.  I must have decreased the life expectency of them.  I must be the luckiest guy on earth to not have blown a single one yet even though I obviously am giving them way too much power.  I can't believe that any touring companies out there still have any speakers that work at all considering how much power they give them.

The good thing is you'll still be using you 4 MRX512ms after I have blown up all my drivers.

Glenn A Williams

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2012, 12:31:26 AM »

Glenn, Do you think I am an idiot for using an amp capable of 1350 watts per channel into an 8 ohms load on my 80 Watt 8 ohms HF drivers?  That is 16X the rating of my HF drivers or would it be considered only 4X the rating since that would be ~103 Volts and the drivers want ~25 Volts? 

One of those things that makes you go Hmmmmmm? 

I must be an idiot.  I must have decreased the life expectency of them.  I must be the luckiest guy on earth to not have blown a single one yet even though I obviously am giving them way too much power.  I can't believe that any touring companies out there still have any speakers that work at all considering how much power they give them.

The good thing is you'll still be using you 4 MRX512ms after I have blown up all my drivers.

OK You got me!

I agree.....You are an idiot!

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2012, 12:50:41 AM »

I've seen this belligerent crap, name calling and baiting on too many forums. I hope the moderators don't let it get a foothold here.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Stuart Pendleton

• Colonial Yorktown, VA
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2012, 01:03:46 AM »

I agree.

Chris Chambers

• Melbourne, Australia
    • MAD Productions
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2012, 07:00:37 AM »

OK You got me!

I agree.....You are an idiot!

I though this was a profesional forum where you could seek advice from qualified  professionals not watch two members abuse each other over the Internet?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2012, 07:00:37 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 23 queries.