ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha LS9 getting slow?  (Read 12014 times)

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
Yamaha LS9 getting slow?
« on: January 14, 2012, 05:43:43 PM »

So, I have a ls9-32 for two years. A  few weeks ago it started to get slow after a couple hours of normal use. The meters leds blink slowly, it takes 10 seconds to go to another layer, it's a mess. When I move a fader, it gets normal for like a minute and then becomes slow again. StageMix was connected at the first time, but I don't how it could be the cause, cause the problem keeps coming back after I disconnect the ipad. And it won't connect again after the problem appears. The firmware version is 1.30, any thoughts? It looks  like a 5 year-old windows pc.
The sound is not affected though.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 06:07:17 PM by Airton Pereira Silva »
Drummer and Sound Engineer for The Knutz.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Yamaha LS9 getting slow?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 06:27:28 PM »

So, I have a ls9-32 for two years. A  few weeks ago it started to get slow after a couple hours of normal use. The meters leds blink slowly, it takes 10 seconds to go to another layer, it's a mess. When I move a fader, it gets normal for like a minute and then becomes slow again. StageMix was connected at the first time, but I don't how it could be the cause, cause the problem keeps coming back after I disconnect the ipad. And it won't connect again after the problem appears. The firmware version is 1.30, any thoughts? It looks  like a 5 year-old windows pc.

I'd reload the firmware and see if that helps.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 12:04:37 AM »

How can I do it? I powered it on with the usb stick with the 1.30v in it. The problem is still there.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 02:49:03 AM »

How can I do it? I powered it on with the usb stick with the 1.30v in it. The problem is still there.
I'd start by powering up without any extra stuff... no VNC, no ipad, no computers....  just the console.  Does it behave the same?  If so, I'd reload the firmware.  Based on the quoted text I think either the firmware file is corrupt, misnamed, compressed, or not in the root directory.

If you power up with the firmware decompressed and in the root directory of the thumb drive, you should get a prompt like "Start Loading?"  IIRC you press the INC(REMENT) button to start the process.  After it reboots, reinitialize all memories.  If you're not getting the prompt, it's likely that the desk isn't fully happy with your USB drive.  I've had a few that would work for storing console (M7C) files, but wouldn't be recognized on start up.

At any rate, save your current console config to a USB drive.  Reload the V1.30 FW and again try the desk without any other stuff connected to it.  It it works normally, load the saved console file (no extra stuff) and test.  If it slows down, there is something in your config (though I can't think of what might do this).  If not, incrementally add in the access point, iPad and other accessories until you can replicate the failure.

I also suggest you contact Yamaha and see what they say.

Happy trouble shooting.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Hadfield

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 05:00:32 AM »

Remove the network cable and see if it makes a difference - I have had problems with M7's and dodgy network connections.

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 05:49:52 AM »

Sluggishness is "normal" as soon as the iPad is in the picture. Disconnect from it AND CLOSE THE APP on the iPad! See if that helps - it does here.

When on the subject: Yamaha, this is making the otherwise very nice StageMix app virtually unusable in many situations.
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 02:41:43 PM »

Sluggishness is "normal" as soon as the iPad is in the picture. Disconnect from it AND CLOSE THE APP on the iPad! See if that helps - it does here.

When on the subject: Yamaha, this is making the otherwise very nice StageMix app virtually unusable in many situations.

I have noticed that when I forget to set my Ipad to not time out, when it does time out and go to sleep, the board is non-responsive during the period where the Ipad is shutting down.  Once it's asleep, the board works fine.  I haven't noticed sluggishness when everything is up and rolling (but maybe I'm just lucky)

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 07:05:20 PM »

I ran some tests today. First, I played some recorded songs through the pc for three hours with the ethernet cable disconnected. Everything ok. Then I connected the cable and kept playing songs for two hours with no problem. Finally I connected the ipad with the ls9 and let them work for one hour. Nice and clean. When I turned the ipad off (sleep mode) the slow down came out a few minutes later. I closed the app. It´s been 30 minutes with no problem after that.

Matt Tudor

• NW Iowa.
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 10:37:54 AM »

I've had similar intermittant problems with our LS9-32 with Studio Manager and Stagemix. We currently use the house wired/wireless Ethernet systems to connect to our board. I've noticed that I get weaker connection strength in one venue, and have been told that there is more network traffic in that space. Coincidentally (???) I've noticed in the same venue that the board's display and the meters in Studiomanger/Stagemix slow down considerably in that venue, especially after long period of operation. Only in that venue (and only occasionally in there), and only with the remote software operating for a while.The best fix that I can come up with is powering down the board for a few minutes, although that cant happen during a show. During a show I shut off the ipad/laptop for a while and reconnect after a few minutes.
My guess has always been that when the network connection gets flaky or the network slows down, the console and remote software displays slows down. Like you, I've never had the problem affect the audio, and I've never been been able to duplicate the problem for significant troubleshooting.

Aaron_McQueen

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 07:29:21 AM »

Sorry to bring up this old thread.  We started seeing this problem recently.  Has anyone found a fix in the last 3 years?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 07:29:21 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.